How has CV affected you & what are you doing for entertainment?

I beat the wife and kids a lot more, and throw **** at all the walkers in the neighborhood.
Dude, here in my Miami neighborhood the stay at home thing has created a great activity for me an old pervert. Out of nowhere there's these super hot babes jogging and walking by my house that I never knew existed. I made a batch of home made sanitizer so I'm thinking about setting up a hand sanitizer station in front of my house... you know it's the right thing to do.

Advertisement
24/7 ... this is an old recipe dude... you're bringing back memories... this is from the 70's. I do remember staying at a friends inland Punta Gorda cottage right off the Peace River and doing this recipe with a fresh caught Snook. The original recipe called for Mahi Mahi/Dolphin and I did make it again with it. You are right the mayo does do a good job of creating a coating and flavor to the fish.
I'm 65 and have caught many fish and prepared them different ways, I'm sure not as many as @caneinorlando but I'm game for a Throughdown, lol.
Brother I've had 8 boats in my lifetime during the 70's through the 90's... used to be a regular fishing out of Chokoloskee in the 70's.
I'm not a restaurant cook but just do it at home for family and friends... and my wife of 12 years is super picky and frankly a pain. However, she loves what I make so I'm a happy camper.
One of everybody's favorite side dishes that goes well with baked fish is my mushroom risotto... it's a little work but well worth it.
A couple of weeks ago trying to use the frozen meats I've been hoarding, lol... I created a steak bits and vegetable rice that's sort of similar to fried rice that was a big hit... so I made it again last Sunday. I served it with roasted asparagus.
Ah thee Ole Peace River....CaneinOrlando slayed that River back in the day in ref too Indian Artifacts...including 4 Fully Developed Mammoth Teeth (Molars).....

I was in South Florida and December and had Snapper for the first time in my life, probably my favorite fish I've ever had. When I come down again, what types of seafood would you recommend that is more native to South Florida than up north?
If you get a chance to try wahoo or yellowtail, don't pass it up. Especially wahoo.

If you get a chance to try wahoo or yellowtail, don't pass it up. Especially wahoo.
I'd definitely eat that thing!
1 (2).jpg

Talkin about the Wahoo, lol.

I was in South Florida and December and had Snapper for the first time in my life, probably my favorite fish I've ever had. When I come down again, what types of seafood would you recommend that is more native to South Florida than up north?
Hog snapper is a very light fish and is probably #2 most eaten snapper in the keys. Yellow tail can be found on pretty much every single menu in the keys and is hands down the #1 most eaten fish in the keys.

Mahi Mahi is a very nice fish that you can get made in several different ways, blackened or fried are probably the most common. They are also a great fish to make fish tacos with. Get them blackened and then topped with a fresh coleslaw is always a win. If in the keys you will most likely get a lighter more fresh style of coleslaw that always goes great with blackened fish.

You definitely need to get stone crab legs and Florida spiny lobster. Stone crabs can get dam pricey but if your going to do it, do it right and go all out.

Spiny lobster is amazing and not nearly as costly as Stone crab legs. I would say buy them fresh and grill them at your rental. Just go to YouTube and google grilling spiny lobster. its really very easy. Go to Publix and buy that garlic Irish butter they sell. I think Its called like Kellys Irish butter or something like that. It comes in a 2 pack and its gold covered I do believe. You can just cut your lobsters in half and place them shell side down to start. Just follow your YouTube instructions and within less then 10 min your going to be having a great meal.

Grouper is grouper and its always amazing no matter where you catch it. Ive never heard a person ever say a bad word about grouper. Its just simply one of the best fish to eat one the ocean.

All the seafood I mentioned are very common in South Florida and all are very tasty.

If you are really trying for something different from South Florida then look for golden tile fish or snowy grouper, both of these fish are caught in very very deep water and not nearly as common as the fish I mentioned above.

Advertisement
24/7 ... this is an old recipe dude... you're bringing back memories... this is from the 70's. I do remember staying at a friends inland Punta Gorda cottage right off the Peace River and doing this recipe with a fresh caught Snook. The original recipe called for Mahi Mahi/Dolphin and I did make it again with it. You are right the mayo does do a good job of creating a coating and flavor to the fish.
I'm 65 and have caught many fish and prepared them different ways, I'm sure not as many as @caneinorlando but I'm game for a Throughdown, lol.
Brother I've had 8 boats in my lifetime during the 70's through the 90's... used to be a regular fishing out of Chokoloskee in the 70's.
I'm not a restaurant cook but just do it at home for family and friends... and my wife of 12 years is super picky and frankly a pain. However, she loves what I make so I'm a happy camper.
One of everybody's favorite side dishes that goes well with baked fish is my mushroom risotto... it's a little work but well worth it.
A couple of weeks ago trying to use the frozen meats I've been hoarding, lol... I created a steak bits and vegetable rice that's sort of similar to fried rice that was a big hit... so I made it again last Sunday. I served it with roasted asparagus.
Oh man I love mushroom risotto.

If you get bored check out deer meat for dinner on YouTube. The guy is an amazing fisherman and he gives tons and tons of advice on everything out door related. Hes also a dam good chef and ive been trying his recipes lately. He does a shredded coconut crushed macadamia nut mutton snapper dish thats amazing looking.

As I am retired & on social security, no affect on income, however my IRA portfolio is taking a beating, Told my sons their inheritance was taking a big hit. As I am old as dirt (82) & just had open heart surgery this past Oct. I am pretty much staying at home & read the newpaper daily, surf the net, watch tv (have netflix) more than I ever have, call my friends and read novels. Just got some books by Patterson & Balducci. While I like myself, I am getting real tired of my own company.
Well Friend, you are blessed to make it to 82. Wishing you good health and fortune as we push past this. I'm an acute care provider so, I'm fortunately & unfortunately still working in the hospital. Down time is filled with Netflix, working out here and there, and sleeping.

Advertisement
Hog snapper is a very light fish and is probably #2 most eaten snapper in the keys. Yellow tail can be found on pretty much every single menu in the keys and is hands down the #1 most eaten fish in the keys.

Mahi Mahi is a very nice fish that you can get made in several different ways, blackened or fried are probably the most common. They are also a great fish to make fish tacos with. Get them blackened and then topped with a fresh coleslaw is always a win. If in the keys you will most likely get a lighter more fresh style of coleslaw that always goes great with blackened fish.

You definitely need to get stone crab legs and Florida spiny lobster. Stone crabs can get dam pricey but if your going to do it, do it right and go all out.

Spiny lobster is amazing and not nearly as costly as Stone crab legs. I would say buy them fresh and grill them at your rental. Just go to YouTube and google grilling spiny lobster. its really very easy. Go to Publix and buy that garlic Irish butter they sell. I think Its called like Kellys Irish butter or something like that. It comes in a 2 pack and its gold covered I do believe. You can just cut your lobsters in half and place them shell side down to start. Just follow your YouTube instructions and within less then 10 min your going to be having a great meal.

Grouper is grouper and its always amazing no matter where you catch it. Ive never heard a person ever say a bad word about grouper. Its just simply one of the best fish to eat one the ocean.

All the seafood I mentioned are very common in South Florida and all are very tasty.

If you are really trying for something different from South Florida then look for golden tile fish or snowy grouper, both of these fish are caught in very very deep water and not nearly as common as the fish I mentioned above.
Back in the 70's when I was a teenager, we'd spearfish in the Keys around small mangrove islands close to flats. The constant wave action carved out 8-10' wide and 8-10' deep channels around the islands. Schools of yellowtail and mangroves were plentiful. We'd spear as many as we could eat, take them home, and just fry them up in any available skillet with a stick of butter and salt and pepper. Nothing fancy, but nothing like fresh. I preferred the yellowtail.

We'd dive for spiny's in the channel's dredged out from islands to open ocean. The walls were full of them. Had my arm up to my shoulder many times pulling those spiny's out of their holes. Nothing fancy with them either. Pot of boiling water and a pot of melted butter to dip them in.

To me, nothing better than stone crab. We'd dive for them during the season - only 3 months a year back then - Sep/Oct to Dec. Had to be careful with them or you could lose a finger. I still have all 10. Gotta get up behind them and once you've got the back of the body, you take only one claw - hopefully the largest - and leave it the other so it can still defend itself. Nothing fancy with them either. Pot of boiling water and the pot of melted butter.

One more than I'm going to take a nap. During a full moon, the shrimp would run in the channels between the islands. We took a 5 gallon plastic bucket, drilled a bunch of small holes in it - sides and bottom - attach about 100 feet of rope to the handle, and chuck it out into the channel. We'd drag up the bucket **** near full of shrimp. We'd sort out the pinks to eat, put the rest on ice in coolers and take them to Key West and sell them for beer and gas money. .

What does conch taste like? Hear about conch fritters a lot from S Florida folks.

Per wahoo, apparently you don't see it much on menus because the boat captains keep it for themselves...at least they do on NC coast.

Grouper is great for fried grouper fingers...like big fish sticks. The grouper is firm and good for frying.

Whole fried flounder is awesome too.

As I am retired & on social security, no affect on income, however my IRA portfolio is taking a beating, Told my sons their inheritance was taking a big hit. As I am old as dirt (82) & just had open heart surgery this past Oct. I am pretty much staying at home & read the newpaper daily, surf the net, watch tv (have netflix) more than I ever have, call my friends and read novels. Just got some books by Patterson & Balducci. While I like myself, I am getting real tired of my own company.
My bad brother I missed your OP and started posting within. Have a 67 y.o. friend from Miami who moved to Dade City and he had a quadruple bypass in Jan., got the painful details by calling him every week. I hope you are recoopping well and feeling better. I'm retired as well on SS but with a no-inheritance pension. If you want to discuss anything or just chit-chat you are welcome to PM me.
God bless you my man.

As far as COVID goes .. business as usual at work luckily. I've been remote since December unrelated to this.

I just bought a house back in Florida in the middle of all this and right now I'm stuck here. My wife had to go back north to our apartment. The timetable was ramped up because of this going on they finished the house early and we closed earlier than I expected.

I'm without any vehicle and I broke my leg/dislocated my ankle in December so I can't even get out for exercise.

Wake up
Walk dog
Coffee
Work
Lunch
Walk dog
End of work
Beer/****tail
Pre-make iced coffee for tomorrow
Walk dog
Netflix/Amazon
Sleep

Skip dinner and breakfast. I just don't have much of an appetite.

Rinse and repeat

Wife is out of work through April at least and bunkered in our apartment up in Connecticut. Luckily my income supports us but also her company has been really great so far, guaranteed paid leave for everyone through April. They'll evaluate the situation again regarding extended paid leave based on new restrictions. Even if they don't extend it, it's a pretty great gesture so far. The CEOs goal is to pay everyone through this situation.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dude, here in my Miami neighborhood the stay at home thing has created a great activity for me an old pervert. Out of nowhere there's these super hot babes jogging and walking by my house that I never knew existed. I made a batch of home made sanitizer so I'm thinking about setting up a hand sanitizer station in front of my house... you know it's the right thing to do.
Haha, I like your style.

What does conch taste like? Hear about conch fritters a lot from S Florida folks.

Per wahoo, apparently you don't see it much on menus because the boat captains keep it for themselves...at least they do on NC coast.

Grouper is great for fried grouper fingers...like big fish sticks. The grouper is firm and good for frying.

Hmm... interesting question. I'd say conch tastes a bit like a clam, with the consistency similar to squid when cooked. It can be overcooked and rubbery easily, or tender in the same way. Just have to prepare it well.

Conch fritters are the ****. In the Bahamas you'll find conch salad (basically a ceviche preparation).

Back in the 70's when I was a teenager, we'd spearfish in the Keys around small mangrove islands close to flats. The constant wave action carved out 8-10' wide and 8-10' deep channels around the islands. Schools of yellowtail and mangroves were plentiful. We'd spear as many as we could eat, take them home, and just fry them up in any available skillet with a stick of butter and salt and pepper. Nothing fancy, but nothing like fresh. I preferred the yellowtail.

We'd dive for spiny's in the channel's dredged out from islands to open ocean. The walls were full of them. Had my arm up to my shoulder many times pulling those spiny's out of their holes. Nothing fancy with them either. Pot of boiling water and a pot of melted butter to dip them in.

To me, nothing better than stone crab. We'd dive for them during the season - only 3 months a year back then - Sep/Oct to Dec. Had to be careful with them or you could lose a finger. I still have all 10. Gotta get up behind them and once you've got the back of the body, you take only one claw - hopefully the largest - and leave it the other so it can still defend itself. Nothing fancy with them either. Pot of boiling water and the pot of melted butter.

One more than I'm going to take a nap. During a full moon, the shrimp would run in the channels between the islands. We took a 5 gallon plastic bucket, drilled a bunch of small holes in it - sides and bottom - attach about 100 feet of rope to the handle, and chuck it out into the channel. We'd drag up the bucket **** near full of shrimp. We'd sort out the pinks to eat, put the rest on ice in coolers and take them to Key West and sell them for beer and gas money. .
Brother that's a great story. I did some island channel fishing in the keys several times when I'd hook up with a buddy who had a skiff in Homestead but you killed it... fantastic stuff.

Advertisement

Conch when well made is delicious.

Best conch fritters I ever had was at the A & B Lobster House in the Keys. It used to be on Ramrod Key but I heard a while back they moved to Key West.
I know it sounds crazy but I'll have conch fritters anywhere. When the wife was pregnant I would go to the guy on the corner a couple blocks east of Miami Central.
Not 5 stars but at least they were Conch Fritters. 😆

Advertisement
Back