How has CV affected you & what are you doing for entertainment?

Every time I come in this thread I get hungry now.
13.png

How's your appetite now Matt... Wuhan fine cuisine.

Advertisement
It's rare I get broken up over a ' famous' person passing away. Prince, Tom Petty, recently Bill Withers- those really make me sad, but I don't see why they should get anymore attention than any other person leaving this earth. However, Anthony Bourdain hit me in the gut a tiny bit. He put a cool slant on visiting other cultures and food and wrapped it up neatly in an hour show. I thought he was a cool dude.

Advertisement
Absolutely. I've always considered myself fairly daring when it comes to things I'd try. Bat is not one.
There was a time when eating baked crickets was daring... and I braved up and tried some. But the Chinese take it to a totally different level.
I very strongly believe that dogs and cats are off limits to eat... totally bothers me and nauseates me. Those wet markets are extremely fvcked up IMO.

There was a time when eating baked crickets was daring... and I braved up and tried some. But the Chinese take it to a totally different level.
I very strongly believe that dogs and cats are off limits to eat... totally bothers me and nauseates me. Those wet markets are extremely fvcked up IMO.
I agree. PETA needs to get a Wuhan chapter going stat.

Wet markets are off the charts.

There's probably things there that make chowing down on a bat will seem like a Popeye's Chicken Sandwich.

Advertisement
Mostly mangroves and a couple of schoolmasters 15 total. Caught last year on Islamorada party boat.
View attachment 114897
Very nice. Ill give you an easy recipe for those mangroves. you will need 2 to 4 fillets no skin on, put them on foil on a decent cookie sheet. Needs to be a good cookie sheet other wise when you broil the fish the cookie sheet will warp and it will splatter the fishes juices all over the inside of your oven .

2-4 fillets, id go with a 15-19 inch snapper.

place on the cookie sheet. I use the side that had the skin on it as the side I lay down on the foil. if you have any extra skin you missed it will fall right off once you go to plate it.

This is the crazy part. Spread Mayo all over the top of the fish. No BS Mayo. Just good old Kraft or Dukes Mayo. No fat free stuff. You want to cover the fish pretty good. You want all the fish that can be seen to be covered. More mayo then you would probably put on a sandwich. Probably some where between mayo on a sandwich and the amount of Peanut butter you might put on a PB&J.

This is where you can go how ever you like. I season up my fish with S&P, season salt, garlic salt, Everglades heat and some paprika. You could go real spicy if you want, or go total cajun style. Im sure you could even go with Jamaican, Thai, mediterranean or many other flavors.

Ok next step is to make sure your oven is on broil and set the rack at about 4 inches from the broil element. Once the oven is up to temp place the fish under the broiler and broil for 12-15 min. You will know its getting close once the house starts smelling amazing. You will know its done once the mayo turns golden brown.

Side note you can use cookie racks and place fish on the racks if you want it to be a bit more healthy. Still use the foil so your clean up is super fast.

I usually eat this with some type of chicken flavored Broccoli (Lipton packs) and rice medley. If you are cooking other things and your grill is running you could add asparagus which is always great with fish.

Hope you like it.

not that easy. Rock Hill Farms for example is impossible to find anywhere
Everything is out there and can be bought. Sometimes the prices are insane and I pass. Sometimes I don’t. I have a lot of friends in retail grocery. I get just about everything I want at retail once a year. The rest I chase and pay. There’s nothing that can’t be purchased. The real question is who can and can’t afford to pay. 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
CaneinOrlando is a Grilled Fish Guy...I absolutely Love Grilling food....Hence my Love for Capt. Andersons in Panama City Bch....Place has been amazing for many yrs...Everything grilled....

I was in South Florida and December and had Snapper for the first time in my life, probably my favorite fish I've ever had. When I come down again, what types of seafood would you recommend that is more native to South Florida than up north?

I was in South Florida and December and had Snapper for the first time in my life, probably my favorite fish I've ever had. When I come down again, what types of seafood would you recommend that is more native to South Florida than up north?
Snapper is Good stuff....Dolphin (Mahi Mahi) is fantastic as well....Conch Fritters and Cold Beer are a staple in the Keys....

Advertisement
Everything is out there and can be bought. Sometimes the prices are insane and I pass. Sometimes I don’t. I have a lot of friends in retail grocery. I get just about everything I want at retail once a year. The rest I chase and pay. There’s nothing that can’t be purchased. The real question is who can and can’t afford to pay. 🤷‍♂️

Been in the game over 15 years my man. Weller 12 for example is out there around $275. High, but no big deal. Col. Taylor small batch I actually found last week for retail. The Pappy collection is all a rip, got a 15 year for retail 3 years ago. Crazy to pay $1500 for it. Eagle Rare 17 is also very good, and used to be pretty readily available retail, now brutal to find and more $. ****, regular Eagle Rare 10 is allocated now for 20% more retail than it used to be. That's all I am saying.

Some **** just isn't out there anymore. Look up Rock Hill and get back to me. That was always one of my fave.

Very nice. Ill give you an easy recipe for those mangroves. you will need 2 to 4 fillets no skin on, put them on foil on a decent cookie sheet. Needs to be a good cookie sheet other wise when you broil the fish the cookie sheet will warp and it will splatter the fishes juices all over the inside of your oven .

2-4 fillets, id go with a 15-19 inch snapper.

place on the cookie sheet. I use the side that had the skin on it as the side I lay down on the foil. if you have any extra skin you missed it will fall right off once you go to plate it.

This is the crazy part. Spread Mayo all over the top of the fish. No BS Mayo. Just good old Kraft or Dukes Mayo. No fat free stuff. You want to cover the fish pretty good. You want all the fish that can be seen to be covered. More mayo then you would probably put on a sandwich. Probably some where between mayo on a sandwich and the amount of Peanut butter you might put on a PB&J.

This is where you can go how ever you like. I season up my fish with S&P, season salt, garlic salt, Everglades heat and some paprika. You could go real spicy if you want, or go total cajun style. Im sure you could even go with Jamaican, Thai, mediterranean or many other flavors.

Ok next step is to make sure your oven is on broil and set the rack at about 4 inches from the broil element. Once the oven is up to temp place the fish under the broiler and broil for 12-15 min. You will know its getting close once the house starts smelling amazing. You will know its done once the mayo turns golden brown.

Side note you can use cookie racks and place fish on the racks if you want it to be a bit more healthy. Still use the foil so your clean up is super fast.

I usually eat this with some type of chicken flavored Broccoli (Lipton packs) and rice medley. If you are cooking other things and your grill is running you could add asparagus which is always great with fish.

Hope you like it.
24/7 ... this is an old recipe dude... you're bringing back memories... this is from the 70's. I do remember staying at a friends inland Punta Gorda cottage right off the Peace River and doing this recipe with a fresh caught Snook. The original recipe called for Mahi Mahi/Dolphin and I did make it again with it. You are right the mayo does do a good job of creating a coating and flavor to the fish.
I'm 65 and have caught many fish and prepared them different ways, I'm sure not as many as @caneinorlando but I'm game for a Throughdown, lol.
Brother I've had 8 boats in my lifetime during the 70's through the 90's... used to be a regular fishing out of Chokoloskee in the 70's.
I'm not a restaurant cook but just do it at home for family and friends... and my wife of 12 years is super picky and frankly a pain. However, she loves what I make so I'm a happy camper.
One of everybody's favorite side dishes that goes well with baked fish is my mushroom risotto... it's a little work but well worth it.
A couple of weeks ago trying to use the frozen meats I've been hoarding, lol... I created a steak bits and vegetable rice that's sort of similar to fried rice that was a big hit... so I made it again last Sunday. I served it with roasted asparagus.

It's rare I get broken up over a ' famous' person passing away. Prince, Tom Petty, recently Bill Withers- those really make me sad, but I don't see why they should get anymore attention than any other person leaving this earth. However, Anthony Bourdain hit me in the gut a tiny bit. He put a cool slant on visiting other cultures and food and wrapped it up neatly in an hour show. I thought he was a cool dude.
If you liked his show, I'd highly recommend his books. They are great reads. The audio versions are good too because it is actually him narrating them.

Advertisement
Back