How has CV affected you & what are you doing for entertainment?

Advertisement
However, Flounder doesn't have the same texture as halibut which cooks firm and flaky. I understand everybody has their favorites just like everything.
Just like FL lobster to me is much better than Maine. I do agree with the quality of pompano... good stuff.
CaneinOrlando Chefed at a Bed & Breakfast in Boothbay Harbour Maine, the entire summer of 1990...(May-August) CRAZY $$$.....There was a small town near Boothbay named Wiscassett, that had a roadside Lobster Shanty that was the best I EVER had....you name the size...they had it...Insanely good....

Matlacha Oyster House was a treat even for an unrefined kid's palate.
When I got out of Culinary School in 81....I apprenticed on Captiva for 3yrs.....Timmy's Nook was the place for Grouper Sandwiches....Unbelievable to the point people still reminisce about them...The Mucky Duck had killer Grub as well....

However, Flounder doesn't have the same texture as halibut which cooks firm and flaky. I understand everybody has their favorites just like everything.
Just like FL lobster to me is much better than Maine. I do agree with the quality of pompano... good stuff.
My daughter loves lobster tails. Florida or the little South African ones. Maine lobster is just okay to her. Her least favorite part is the claws, so we work out a trade.

I love scallops, but it’s hard to get them cooked right
You can cook them several ways. Most people use a cast iron skillet which they get crazy hot. Then they put in some olive oil and butter and you place your scallops on one of the 2 sides and sear both the top and bottom. You want to make sure you dry your scallops with paper towels just before you sear them. 2-3 min tops when searing.

I do a seafood pasta dish in which I lightly sear scallops and shrimp at the same time. After they are half cooked ill remove them and keep off to the side. Ill then finish making a creamy tomato basil sauce. Once my noodles are close to being cooked ill take my half cooked scallops and shrimp and finish poaching them in the caream sauce. One thing I also do is keep the butter and olive oil mix that I was cooking my shrimp and scallops in. I will add that butter oil blend to my sauce. It helps thicken my cream sauce plus its got a ton of flavor which I like to add to the cream sauce. Drain those noodles off real good and add that to the seafood sauce blend. Let the noodles finish cooking off and let them get nicely coated in the sauce. little garlic toast and your good to go.

Advertisement
When I got out of Culinary School in 81....I apprenticed on Captiva for 3yrs.....Timmy's Nook was the place for Grouper Sandwiches....Unbelievable to the point people still reminisce about them...The Mucky Duck had killer Grub as well....
I also remember Nutmeg House on Sanibel a couple of times when visiting friends staying in the island.

I also remember Nutmeg House on Sanibel a couple of times when visiting friends staying in the island.
Oh Yessir.....Casa Ybel was also a go to for me on nights off...Thistle Lodge....Letizia's Italian next to the Lighthouse..etc....After I left South Seas Plantation after a yr and a half....I Chefed at Tween Waters just up Old Captiva Rd....Im still friends with the owner...

Advertisement
You can cook them several ways. Most people use a cast iron skillet which they get crazy hot. Then they put in some olive oil and butter and you place your scallops on one of the 2 sides and sear both the top and bottom. You want to make sure you dry your scallops with paper towels just before you sear them. 2-3 min tops when searing.

I do a seafood pasta dish in which I lightly sear scallops and shrimp at the same time. After they are half cooked ill remove them and keep off to the side. Ill then finish making a creamy tomato basil sauce. Once my noodles are close to being cooked ill take my half cooked scallops and shrimp and finish poaching them in the caream sauce. One thing I also do is keep the butter and olive oil mix that I was cooking my shrimp and scallops in. I will add that butter oil blend to my sauce. It helps thicken my cream sauce plus its got a ton of flavor which I like to add to the cream sauce. Drain those noodles off real good and add that to the seafood sauce blend. Let the noodles finish cooking off and let them get nicely coated in the sauce. little garlic toast and your good to go.
1st paragraph is 100% Spot on....

That sounds really good!

Holy shlt.

CaneinOrlando Chefed at a Bed & Breakfast in Boothbay Harbour Maine, the entire summer of 1990...(May-August) CRAZY $$$.....There was a small town near Boothbay named Wiscassett, that had a roadside Lobster Shanty that was the best I EVER had....you name the size...they had it...Insanely good....
Always dreamed of going up there and hitting one of those sea side seafood bakes where they lay coals and cook lobsters, clams, crabs, shrimp and veggies all together... then wash it down with some good ole suds. Bucket list shiit.

Advertisement
My daughter loves lobster tails. Florida or the little South African ones. Maine lobster is just okay to her. Her least favorite part is the claws, so we work out a trade.
You ever had a good lobster thermidor? we need @caneinorlando to treat us to some... haven't had any since the 80's since they closed a joint that used to kill it... The Depot
Regardless, hands down I love any seafood.

The bottom paragraph I learned watching Emerill Lagasee ages ago. I usually add grouper chunks or big chunks of mangrove snapper. I got some great pics but Dont know how to post them off my computer.
Mostly mangroves and a couple of schoolmasters 15 total. Caught last year on Islamorada party boat.
ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg

Advertisement
Well since im on the frontline I was exposed to one of my co-workers who tested positive after experiencing some symptoms. Hes also a very good friend and fellow Cane who goes to games with me. Thankfully his case is very mild, but I was required to get tested and I was negative.

Other than that Im getting a ton of work done around the house and getting to spend a lot of quality time with my 3 kids.

I pray for those fighting this virus and I pray for all those whose jobs have been affected as well.

Hope you all stay safe out there and hopefully we'll be over this soon and talking Canes football!

Advertisement
Back