How good can the Men's B-Ball program be?

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
I'm under no allusion that we'll turn into UNC or Duke, or even Florida, but I think we can become a program that's in the tournament more often than not. If you look at our history, it's pathetic. 7 NCAA tournaments, 12 NITs, 2 Conference Titles (2000 Big East, 2013 ACC), 2 Sweet 16s. That's it. 19 postseason appearances in 71 years, and only 7 of those were NCAA.

Based on that, a lot of people think you can't win consistently at Miami. They look at what Coach L did 2 years ago as luck, or a flash in the pan. I think you can consistently win at Miami. Look at what Hamilton had going before he left. His last three years at Miami, we had the best record in the Big East, and that was at a time when UConn won a national title, St Johns was an Elite 8 team, Syracuse was a Sweet 16 team, as was West Virginia. We were 39-16 in the Big East and 64-28 overall, winning the Big East one year, getting a #2 seed in the NCAAs, getting to the Sweet 16, making 3 straight NCAAs, beating #2 UConn in Storrs the year they won the national title, etc. 2 years later under Perry Clark (no thanks to Clark) we set the then school record for wins with 24, going 24-8 and getting a #5 seed in the NCAAs. We went to the postseason 6 straight years, 4 of which were the NCAAs.

Now, I don't think Hamilton was an amazing coach, but if he would have stayed, or if we would have made the right hire after he left, I think the program would have continued to be in the NCAAs almost every year. Remember, Hamilton did this without the BUC, and without the practice facilities.

So, I think we can be in the 2nd tier of ACC schools, never with Duke and UNC on a year to year basis, but in the next group, in the running for an NCAA bid every year, and occasionally competing for an ACC title like 2013.

What say you ****ers?

Advertisement
I expect the next 5 years to be the best in program history.

Newton and Sherman will dominate when Mclellan and angel leave. Recruiting is on the up and up. Extremely athletic young and long roster.

Until larranaga leaves I think the ceiling every year is the tourney.

And only if I can dream, 1 title. Just 1.

MJ took Hamilton and we've been scuffling since. Coach L will win for us. How much winning as for how long, we don't kno.

A team that makes the tournament more years than not. That's the ceiling for this program.

Advertisement
I don't see a reason Miami can't be a St. John's, Georgetown type program. It's all about coaching. UF became good with the addition of Billy Donovan. Coach L was really a godsend for the program. IMO he's building a foundation that the next guy will be able to run with.

I don't see a reason Miami can't be a St. John's, Georgetown type program. It's all about coaching. UF became good with the addition of Billy Donovan. Coach L was really a godsend for the program. IMO he's building a foundation that the next guy will be able to run with.

Recruiting is essential as well. Which is why I don't think Miami will ever make a run at winning a championship. Sweet 16 team with the occasional conference title is realistic IMO.

See it like this too, Larranaga is gonna lay a foundation where this becomes a really attractive option for the next guy to take it over the top.

Recruiting is essential as well. Which is why I don't think Miami will ever make a run at winning a championship. Sweet 16 team with the occasional conference title is realistic IMO.

Hopefully they'll be able to pull the local talented guys or start getting more guys from overseas.
I agree we'll never be a UNC/Duke type, but still a strong program.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back