How good can the 2017 defense be?

motorcitycane

Senior
We all expect the defense to make a significant jump this season. What we did with the young linebackers and lineman was remarkable. But what improvements do you expect to see for the 2017 season.

Here's a look at our numbers from last season on the defense.

13th PPG 18.9
23rd Total Yards Allowed 4263
60th Passing Yards allowed per game 220.4
31st Rushing Yards allowed per game 134.8

I think from the rankings we could be TOP 5 around 15PPG.
Top 15 in Yards

What do you guys think we jump up to?

Advertisement
I think, barring a significant injury, it's a top 5 defense in the country. I don't think anyone is going to stop our front 4, and we're deep. we'll keep running groups of d ends out there and they will be tired. we're 6 deep at d end with guys who can get it done. a little thin at dt, but, should be ok barring injury. the front 4 will allow the back 7 to have a field day. lbers making tackles all over the place and what was once a major question mark, is now a strength in the back 4.

I think/hope the biggest jump will be the turnover column. I think the DL steps up the pressure and we'll see strip sacks, forced throws into coverage, DB's jumping routes. I also expect the LB's to be much improved in the passing game making for tighter windows(see forced throws). Combined with Shaq & Zach's being in the S&C program for anothetr year I would think we'll see them seperating RB's from the ball.

Go Canes!

I think/hope the biggest jump will be the turnover column. I think the DL steps up the pressure and we'll see strip sacks, forced throws into coverage, DB's jumping routes. I also expect the LB's to be much improved in the passing game making for tighter windows(see forced throws). Combined with Shaq & Zach's being in the S&C program for anothetr year I would think we'll see them seperating RB's from the ball.

Go Canes!

And that's the main way that our defense is going to help us to score.

From your keyboard...

the only thing that'll keep this defense from being a top 10 defense is depth on the backside especially at CB. If one of them strains a hammy(knock on wood) or something in the area and it's significant, we're playing with 4 scholarship guys for 2-3 weeks.

Advertisement
I think, barring a significant injury, it's a top 5 defense in the country. I don't think anyone is going to stop our front 4, and we're deep. we'll keep running groups of d ends out there and they will be tired. we're 6 deep at d end with guys who can get it done. a little thin at dt, but, should be ok barring injury. the front 4 will allow the back 7 to have a field day. lbers making tackles all over the place and what was once a major question mark, is now a strength in the back 4.

ACC defensive lines are going to be epic this year..We've got our guys..Clemson has two All Ame's..Fl.State has their two All Ame's..Nc State has theirs, and the conferences best defensive player is probably at Chestnut Hill....Epic-Epic-Epic..

Only thing I'll say and I know it's early is in one of the OTH podcasts DJ Williams said they got worked by our Oline in the rush game the first day they put pads on.

Again I know it's early and I'm hoping our Oline is that good but what he said the front 4 got the ball right at them.Hoping that is/was an aberration

We started 5 true freshman last year in Young, Joe Jack, & the 3 LB's. We were great. They all will be experience. Plus we add 2 NFL db's in Dean & Delaney & Dj Johnson, pat bethel more experience, jon garvin, & a healthy Scott Patchan..Man watch the **** out..We comin

Advertisement
Here is where i get negged to oblivion for going after the golden goose, but i still have my reservations about Diaz. Let me say that i'd take diaz any day of the week over the crap fest that was dorito, but there are some concerns. Everyone likes a good TFL or sack but when i rewatched the games in the off season(many times, long off season) i was surprised at how many 3rd and longs got converted against miami. the middle of the field seemed to be too open for wr/te's. miami's 3rd down efficiency ranking was 53rd and turnover ranking was in the upper 60's. maybe it was because of 3 true freshman linebackers, or everyones first year in a new system, or lackluster safety play, but i'd prefer the defense getting off the field quicker over sacks and tfl. Maybe lu or k9 can give some scheme insight as to what led to those numbers. i think he gets too aggressive sometimes when the situation doesnt require it. even with a lack of depth i think we have the talent to make a huge jump. I just think we need some improvement from diaz as well. but i think the d will be fun as **** to watch and if we can get that 3rd down efficiency number to something respectable watch out.

To me, it isn't about the rankings. We need to cause more turnovers and do a better job of stopping the better teams we face.

That 4 game losing streak we gave up a lot of yards and points. Padded our stats vs the cupcakes, played solid D vs the rest of the ACC.

More consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, it isn't about the rankings. We need to cause more turnovers and do a better job of stopping the better teams we face.

That 4 game losing streak we gave up a lot of yards and points. Padded our stats vs the cupcakes, played solid D vs the rest of the ACC.

More consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exactly. one thing i left out is i think people underestimate what losing elder means. rewatch the unc game, that man was a one man army on his side of the ball. i'm still baffled he didn't go in the second round off of that game alone.

I'm more concerned with turnovers and hurrying the QB etc. Game changing plays.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Playing with 5 freshmen on the field - the results were amazing.
In the losses we gave up 20 points to FSU and UNC. Against VT our D Line was decimaywith injuries and so were all 3 LB's.

I actually think our secondary will make more plays this year. I think our Nickel/Dime Defense will be improved with the players we have this year. I can see Delaney having an impact like Corn with more INT's. Also Jamal Carter was a liability in coverage. I think Mark and Trajan playing Nickel/Dime will end up better for our D.

The D-Line is deeper and more experienced than last year. Remember Willis was injured and didn't make the impact we were expecting.
Adding DJ, Patchan and Garvin while moving Bethel to 3T we have so many options.

1. Da U '17
2 steel curtain
3. 85 bears
4. Purple people eaters
5. No name defense

Advertisement
Avg yds per play were excellent as well as scoring defense. 3rd down defense is where we need a huge leap. 38% against FBS and 43% against P5. thats mediocre. if that number gets to 22-25%, we will be elite.

We all expect the defense to make a significant jump this season. What we did with the young linebackers and lineman was remarkable. But what improvements do you expect to see for the 2017 season.

Here's a look at our numbers from last season on the defense.

13th PPG 18.9
23rd Total Yards Allowed 4263
60th Passing Yards allowed per game 220.4
31st Rushing Yards allowed per game 134.8

I think from the rankings we could be TOP 5 around 15PPG.
Top 15 in Yards

What do you guys think we jump up to?

Just realizing the talent our Canes have on defense entering 2017', injuries are my biggest concerns because we lack the deep depth.. BUT I really believe this defense has the opportunity to do something very very special, I can care less about numbers, I just want to see production on Saturday's..

Advertisement
Back