X's and O's How does OC Rhett Lashlee set up big plays?

View as article
Advertisement
That's a very interesting overview. One of things many of us in the gameday chat kept saying last season was that the designed runs for King never seemed to go anywhere. They were snuffed out every time. This gives some insight into why Lashlee kept running that play. He had a few counter plays off of those designed QB runs.

Good stuff, Stevo!!

BuT hE cAlLs tHe SaMe PlAy….

Ideally, you’d like those QB powers and draws to gain more yardage initially but run blocking was too inconsistent. So what do you do when you have an offensive line that can’t consistently run block for long, sustained drives? You use a couple of dud plays to set up huge gainers. One of the advantages to not using a ton of different formations is that opponents are going to scheme to stop a certain play when they get a certain look. This is all stuff that coaches look at and stress during film study. “If you see X formation and X motion and player X blocks down, this is the play they’re running”. Then as an offense you slip one guy out that was on film blocking every other time they got that look. Easy big plays.

That's a very interesting overview. One of things many of us in the gameday chat kept saying last season was that the designed runs for King never seemed to go anywhere. They were snuffed out every time. This gives some insight into why Lashlee kept running that play. He had a few counter plays off of those designed QB runs.

Good stuff, Stevo!!
yup he was setting them up but obv we wish the set ups where more effective hopefully the OL continues to improve ! thank you for checking out the review !

Advertisement

Ideally, you’d like those QB powers and draws to gain more yardage initially but run blocking was too inconsistent. So what do you do when you have an offensive line that can’t consistently run block for long, sustained drives? You use a couple of dud plays to set up huge gainers. One of the advantages to not using a ton of different formations is that opponents are going to scheme to stop a certain play when they get a certain look. This is all stuff that coaches look at and stress during film study. “If you see X formation and X motion and player X blocks down, this is the play they’re running”. Then as an offense you slip one guy out that was on film blocking every other time they got that look. Easy big plays.
Yup make it look exactly the same and 9/10 a defense will make the wrong assumptions ! Alot of fans don't see how Rhett lashlee really performed as OC but im here to put them on game!

Advertisement
I would love to see more counters and misdirection with our Offense. Miami’s Offense can be so successful if we added more of these plays. It keeps Defense guessing and provides more creative opportunities.

I would love to see more counters and misdirection with our Offense. Miami’s Offense can be so successful if we added more of these plays. It keeps Defense guessing and provides more creative opportunities.

Im pretty sure he would've if he had a whole off season to install those plays, covid did us no justice last year.

Im pretty sure he would've if he had a whole off season to install those plays, covid did us no justice last year.
I watched a lot of SMU clips when we signed Lashlee just to get an idea of what to expect and they had a much deeper play book than what we saw last year. Specifically, outside zone runs were called a ton with the Mustangs but almost never at Miami. I’d be willing to bet it was a combination of not trusting the line and a rushed installation of the offense. I think we’ll see a few new wrinkles this year

I watched a lot of SMU clips when we signed Lashlee just to get an idea of what to expect and they had a much deeper play book than what we saw last year. Specifically, outside zone runs were called a ton with the Mustangs but almost never at Miami. I’d be willing to bet it was a combination of not trusting the line and a rushed installation of the offense. I think we’ll see a few new wrinkles this year

I totally agree. I know for sure the playbook is going to open up a lot more. He had Shane Buechele (QB) Xavier Jones (RB) and James Proche (WR) playing on another level.

That Memphis game was a classic offensive performance for both teams

Advertisement

The way he set up rooster for that score against Louisville along with Brevins TD in that game sold me

The way he set up rooster for that score against Louisville along with Brevins TD in that game sold me
People were quick to yell "busted coverage" to try to minimize the credit Lashlee was due for those plays but what they don't realize is the play calling was the reason for the busted coverage. Guys weren't left wide open because the defenders fell down or forgot what they were doing. The defenders had been set up by previous plays and took the bait. Those kind of plays don't happen by accident. They happen because the offensive coordinator is playing the defense like a fiddle.

Advertisement
People were quick to yell "busted coverage" to try to minimize the credit Lashlee was due for those plays but what they don't realize is the play calling was the reason for the busted coverage. Guys weren't left wide open because the defenders fell down or forgot what they were doing. The defenders had been set up by previous plays and took the bait. Those kind of plays don't happen by accident. They happen because the offensive coordinator is playing the defense like a fiddle.
Yup. On that Rooster play up the sideline the safety keyed on the QB sweep. Rooster came out like he was setting up a edge block..right up the boundary for 6.

most fans just watch the Game and cheer for their team and miss the nuances. But that’s fine. Only thing is sometimes it’s the same ones who ***** about play calling at times

Yup. On that Rooster play up the sideline the safety keyed on the QB sweep. Rooster came out like he was setting up a edge block..right up the boundary for 6.

most fans just watch the Game and cheer for their team and miss the nuances. But that’s fine. Only thing is sometimes it’s the same ones who ***** about play calling at times
Bingo.

I hate that Lashlee continues to call the same plays over and over even though they end up being a waste of a down.

I can’t count how times we tried that running play up the middle only to get stuffed time and time again which left us starting most series 2nd and 10 but every new series he ran it again and got stuffed again.

im no offensive savant by any means but I do know if you run the same play 10 times a game and it gets stuffed 10 times a game common sense should tell you to run a different play.

if this is part of setting up other plays then OK and I don’t understand what he’s trying to do but playing every series with 2 downs sure makes things hard on the offense.

I hate that Lashlee continues to call the same plays over and over even though they end up being a waste of a down.

I can’t count how times we tried that running play up the middle only to get stuffed time and time again which left us starting most series 2nd and 10 but every new series he ran it again and got stuffed again.

im no offensive savant by any means but I do know if you run the same play 10 times a game and it gets stuffed 10 times a game common sense should tell you to run a different play.

if this is part of setting up other plays then OK and I don’t understand what he’s trying to do but playing every series with 2 downs sure makes things hard on the offense.
End quote

Advertisement
Back