How does Baker sell himself to a recruit if he isn't thought of highly enough to call plays?

Advertisement
I am worried about recruiting on D next year, specifically at LB (and recruiting in general). Kids are going to want to see that the D that they are committed to is still there going into the following year. Like we rationalized, Manny pushed all of his chips forward by taking over DC responsibilities. If he isn’t successful, he is out altogether. What recruit wants to pledge their commitment to that, offense or defense? I get that we are trending nicely with recruiting over the last couple of years (especially including the portal moves), but this has now turned into an impasse. We shall see how it turns out.

I think it may be time to bring in these guys, to ask Blake the tough questions.
what would you say you do here office space GIF

Advertisement
It's probably the most shocking recruiting nugget I've come across. I don't understand how its even possible to recruit the linebacker spot that poorly at Miami.
Yeah, I mean even in lean years, with our LB history, how do we not just fall backward into at least some low 4-star LB's?

Bring in that Samoan once the NCAA makes it possible, or someone like that. Honestly, I wouldn't be averse to bringing in 3 LB's from the portal to get us through this transition year. Cannot imagine that the current set up with Blake will last for more than a year. No insider info, just a lifetime of seeing how these work situations go. No way Baker is our DC for the 22' season. He's got this season to "repair" his reputation.

Advertisement
"listen with our defense, you will always be on film running down the ball carrier, watch that unc game and you'll see just how much exposure you'll have"

Advertisement
It's probably the most shocking recruiting nugget I've come across. I don't understand how its even possible to recruit the linebacker spot that poorly at Miami.

Only reason I can think of is that the very good ones want to play early and couldn’t behind Shaq and Pink. No excuses for that now

He was coach of the worst LBs I’ve ever seen at any level last year. He negatively recruits himself so well he might be planted here by FSU alum manny

Advertisement
His contract ends after the season. So I’d guess he could sell them insurance , to get started on his next career.
Isn’t this likely the biggest factor of all as to why he wasn’t fired? He was essentially demoted this year because we would have to pay him even if we fired him and Manny probably figured that if we have ot pay him, keep him on staff in some limited capacity. Next year if the linebacker play is poor or the defense does not improve, Manny will make a statement about needing to make changes, when in reality, the decision came down to money And not owing him any more. I’m not made at Manny if this was a financial decision because every company has some dead weight as a result of financial Considerations.

Advertisement
Back