How do you know....

fraggle

Senile Senior
from practice if a player will perform when the big lights come on because some players are horrible in practice but gamers when given the opportunity. I taped high school games for a coach, at halftime I asked him why one kid was not playing because I noticed every time they ran the ball and lost yards he was getting more and more upset. Coach said the kid is horrible in practice and until he improved he would not play. I said at least use him on the kickoff team to start the second half...kid ran it back for a TD. Coach decided to use him on offense as their running game was going nowhere...every time the kid touched the ball..he gained at least 10 yards. Coach realized kid was a natural so could not wait for next season...unfortunately (as so often happens in South Florida) kid got arrested with drugs so we never got to see him perform for an entire season. Point is football requires intuitiveness or what JJ called football smarts. Greg Mark would never get in a game the way coaches manage today, even JJ said he contemplated every game roster and would ink in anyone but Mark but always had him start games...those who don't know him Greg Mark - Wikipedia

At the U he played at about 230 lbs and sure didn't look 6' 3", to small for most coaches but what a great college player...
Yesterday was the perfect time to see if Weldon's lights turn on or off by using him against a top defense...lost opportunity for sure.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back