How do you feel about the 2023 season?

jackedaround

Junior
first time GIF

Bill Murray Well Its Groundhog Day Again GIF

I Guess If You Say So GIF

Cant Believe Here We Go Again GIF by Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Frustrated Come On GIF by Saturday Night Live

Advertisement
Said 7-5. Now is the time to win some games. UL and BC are winnable games. We match up very well against both teams but need TVD to not throw more INTs than the opponents QB.

Advertisement
If I am keeping it 100…

We have better talent showing up on the field. OL is much improved. Defense is coming together very nicely.
But we also have some glaring holes that will need to be addressed if we are ever to take the next step.

1. Playcalling - whether Marioball or AirRaid, we don’t call plays in an attempt to dictate to the defense, but rather, we call conservative plays with layers of predictability built in, whether in the form of personnel, formations or playcall. Zero motion. Zero tempo. Play calling has spaghetti against the wall feel from play to play.

2. Coaching blunders - Whether refusing to kneel, to poor clock management to poor player personnel groupings to poor playcalling, it seems that we are leaving on average of 10-14 points on the table each game. Sure the refs have a hand in that sometimes, but most of the time that’s only cherry on top as opposed to the primary reason. Do we actually have a person in the booth that provides any type of data analytics to coaches in-game?

3. Coach speak - Mario doesn’t get it, that accountability doesn’t just mean on the field, but off the field in his press conferences. Not expecting him to throw people under the bus, but we BARELY got him admitting the kneel down incident was his call. His refusal to keep Emory as QB after Clemson game should have been brought up and discussed at more length. Why are the fans the only ones that saw that weeks before the coach did? It should be the other way around where the coaches notice where change needs to happen before the fans.

With all that said, while the beginning of the season we had promise, the season is settling in as was expected by quite a few. I think this next season will be the real crossroads for the tenure of Mario.

Imho, Mario and the OC (whoever that is) needs to take a HARD, LONG look at Guidry and his philosphy of not just having scheme, but putting players he has in positions to have success. No reason why CJ24 doesn’t get more burn. If he can’t pass pro, send him on routes. If Riley can’t block as well as Cam, run less packages with Riley in-line and space out defenders more. If Wrs can’t get instant separation, put them in motion. Guidry is doing darn good job with what he has and I’m really excited about what he can do in the coming years. He disguises what he’s going to do and puts players in positions to play to their strengths and the offense could benefit greatly with that type of thought process.

Advertisement
Back