How do you all feel about Charles Walker from Oklahoma?

He is solely looking out for himself but after 3 concussions, I don't blame him.

He wants an NFL paycheck. He is in school to get to the pros and get paid. Oklahoma isn't going to pay him, so he is attempting to mitigate risk and trying to prevent further damage.

Advertisement
He made a commitment to play football in exchange for an education from a D1 school. The season is not over and he should finish the season IMO. He quit on his team mates.

He committed to a D1 school, b/c that was his only opportunity to advance in a profession that he is good at and potentially could make millions.

I would love to hear what everyone on this board would think if they were working a job where they were making ~$50K a year (a generous estimate of benefits) when they knew that they could be working for another company that would pay them millions of dollars a year and that company had pretty much decided that they were going to pay you that money in 5 months as long as you did not hurt yourself and in the meantime you are working for your current job that is physically dangerous.

We want these players to remain 'loyal' b/c we are selfish and want to see a good product on Saturdays, but why are they being held back and to a different standard? If you get hired into a company and are clearly out performing your peers, should you continue to get the same benefits as them?

I am terrified of NCAA athletes getting paid as I think that would sink Miami, but I don't understand how anyone can rationally look at the amount of money colleges make and the amount they are now paying coaches and think that is it fair that the athletes are getting so little back in return.

Anybody who says the kid is ***** for not wanting to risk his paycheck as a slave laborer is a kvnt

As a slave laborer?

You know, a slave laborer. Someone who voluntarily signs up to go to college and plays sports. Isn't that the definition of a slave?

This is nonsense, the NFL and the NCAA have a nice little deal going where the NFL uses the NCAA as a minor league/farm system. It is practically impossible for a player to make it to the NFL w/o going through the NCAA.

If a company told potential employees that they had to work for practically free for 3 years to have the opportunity to get hired by that company even if they had demonstrated the ability to handle the job and... oh... by the way, if they get hurt doing the dangerous internship,then too bad, people would rightfully be ****ed.

Edit: Perhaps my original post was too strongly worded as I am not saying NCAA players are slaves as they do have somewhat of a choice as opposed to an actual slave and seeing your previous post you seem to be on the side of the player, but to the people who are saying he is selfish, the NCAA and the NFL are basically colluding to deny a free market in order to benefit each other. In any other market, this would be considered a problem.

Last edited:
Cant blame him for looking out for his future but I dont think the NFL draft gurus would like that. So it could hurt him in the long run.

Advertisement
Ehhh okie isn't playing for the natty title and I don't think their playing for the conference title or big bowl game

**** it he's had 2 concussions he's just trying to keep his already rattled brain in check enough to cash at least one check in the NFL I'm not mad

Who the fvck said he needed to keep practicing of playing after concussions?

The point being made here is that there are still things you can do to help your teammates without actually putting the helmet on.

When a guy gets a season ending injury why would he remove himself from the team? You don't think there are tips and hints...help that he could give the underclassmen in his position group?

Why is that so hard for some of you to understand?

Advertisement
Anybody who says the kid is ***** for not wanting to risk his paycheck as a slave laborer is a kvnt

As a slave laborer?

You know, a slave laborer. Someone who voluntarily signs up to go to college and plays sports. Isn't that the definition of a slave?

This is nonsense, the NFL and the NCAA have a nice little deal going where the NFL uses the NCAA as a minor league/farm system. It is practically impossible for a player to make it to the NFL w/o going through the NCAA.

If a company told potential employees that they had to work for practically free for 3 years to have the opportunity to get hired by that company even if they had demonstrated the ability to handle the job and... oh... by the way, if they get hurt doing the dangerous internship,then too bad, people would rightfully be ****ed.

Edit: Perhaps my original post was too strongly worded as I am not saying NCAA players are slaves as they do have somewhat of a choice as opposed to an actual slave and seeing your previous post you seem to be on the side of the player, but to the people who are saying he is selfish, the NCAA and the NFL are basically colluding to deny a free market in order to benefit each other. In any other market, this would be considered a problem.

Is it voluntary? I am pretty sure slavery wasn't.

As a slave laborer?

I wonder, when people say things like this, what they actually do for a living. Nearly any job worth having involves internships, apprenticeships, etc where you get paid **** while working your way up the ladder. But I guess if your white it's not slavery, it's privilege.

Advertisement
As a slave laborer?

I wonder, when people say things like this, what they actually do for a living. Nearly any job worth having involves internships, apprenticeships, etc where you get paid **** while working your way up the ladder. But I guess if your white it's not slavery, it's privilege.

When people say the things like you just said I really wonder what you do for a living.

As a slave laborer?

I wonder, when people say things like this, what they actually do for a living. I wonder, what do they think of the actual slave trade, places like Buchenwald or forced child prostitution, etc where you get paid chit and have no actual choice. But I guess if you're unable to use rational thought and are overly dramatic, Jedem das Seine.

Suffered two concussions already

Hasn't played in a month because of his last concussion

No issue here

So if he's already not playing why not continue to support and help your teammates?

In the military we called them "malingerer's" Gen Patton even slapped a couple of them around.

In the military you get sent away from deployment and never allowed to deploy again if you get hit by 3 IED's...

So how is he wrong for making this decision? Its 1 game left and he was medically declined an opportunity to play the previous 3 games because of his concussions...So he says ***** the last game, ***** the bowl game, I want to at least make 1 pay check in the NFL before I get my brain knocked to a point where I can no longer play football.

Advertisement
As a slave laborer?

You're relating the working environment to sports...Understandable, but apples and oranges. Like the poster above said, there is no "internship, apprenticeship, etc" that threatens your physical ability to work your way up that ladder. The ONLY job that can relate to that is the Infantry of the Military...where obviously fatal things may happen before you make the next rank. High paying jobs outside the sports world aren't forced to risk their short/long term health in order to excel to the next level of pay or obtain the position you aspire.

Suffered two concussions already

Hasn't played in a month because of his last concussion

No issue here

So if he's already not playing why not continue to support and help your teammates?

In the military we called them "malingerer's" Gen Patton even slapped a couple of them around.

In the military you get sent away from deployment and never allowed to deploy again if you get hit by 3 IED's...

So how is he wrong for making this decision? Its 1 game left and he was medically declined an opportunity to play the previous 3 games because of his concussions...So he says ***** the last game, ***** the bowl game, I want to at least make 1 pay check in the NFL before I get my brain knocked to a point where I can no longer play football.

There's something special about people that compare football with actual combat.

As a slave laborer?

**** you guys sure do take silly off hand comment section posts seriously.

**** you guys sure do take silly off hand comment section posts seriously.

Well, you can see that some people really feel that way.

Advertisement
Back