How do you all feel about Charles Walker from Oklahoma?

You know, a slave laborer. Someone who voluntarily signs up to go to college and plays sports. Isn't that the definition of a slave?

This is nonsense, the NFL and the NCAA have a nice little deal going where the NFL uses the NCAA as a minor league/farm system. It is practically impossible for a player to make it to the NFL w/o going through the NCAA.

If a company told potential employees that they had to work for practically free for 3 years to have the opportunity to get hired by that company even if they had demonstrated the ability to handle the job and... oh... by the way, if they get hurt doing the dangerous internship,then too bad, people would rightfully be ****ed.

Edit: Perhaps my original post was too strongly worded as I am not saying NCAA players are slaves as they do have somewhat of a choice as opposed to an actual slave and seeing your previous post you seem to be on the side of the player, but to the people who are saying he is selfish, the NCAA and the NFL are basically colluding to deny a free market in order to benefit each other. In any other market, this would be considered a problem.

Is it voluntary? I am pretty sure slavery wasn't.

I wonder, when people say things like this, what they actually do for a living. Nearly any job worth having involves internships, apprenticeships, etc where you get paid **** while working your way up the ladder. But I guess if your white it's not slavery, it's privilege.

You're relating the working environment to sports...Understandable, but apples and oranges. Like the poster above said, there is no "internship, apprenticeship, etc" that threatens your physical ability to work your way up that ladder. The ONLY job that can relate to that is the Infantry of the Military...where obviously fatal things may happen before you make the next rank. High paying jobs outside the sports world aren't forced to risk their short/long term health in order to excel to the next level of pay or obtain the position you aspire.

Any job that requires manual labor or physical activity runs the risk of injury. The bottom line is this is elective. To call something like this slave labor is just ridiculous. Any one of us would be a professional athlete if we were good enough. You get paid hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars every year to play a game. They're extraordinarily lucky.

Advertisement
Suffered two concussions already

Hasn't played in a month because of his last concussion

No issue here

So if he's already not playing why not continue to support and help your teammates?

In the military we called them "malingerer's" Gen Patton even slapped a couple of them around.

In the military you get sent away from deployment and never allowed to deploy again if you get hit by 3 IED's...

So how is he wrong for making this decision? Its 1 game left and he was medically declined an opportunity to play the previous 3 games because of his concussions...So he says ***** the last game, ***** the bowl game, I want to at least make 1 pay check in the NFL before I get my brain knocked to a point where I can no longer play football.

There's something special about people that compare football with actual combat.

Wait, I could've swore you brought up military first....I brought up the extreme of both sides that you presented.

No issue here

So if he's already not playing why not continue to support and help your teammates?

In the military we called them "malingerer's" Gen Patton even slapped a couple of them around.

In the military you get sent away from deployment and never allowed to deploy again if you get hit by 3 IED's...

So how is he wrong for making this decision? Its 1 game left and he was medically declined an opportunity to play the previous 3 games because of his concussions...So he says ***** the last game, ***** the bowl game, I want to at least make 1 pay check in the NFL before I get my brain knocked to a point where I can no longer play football.

There's something special about people that compare football with actual combat.

Wait, I could've swore you brought up military first....I brought up the extreme of both sides that you presented.

I think he's calling himself special. We've been doing it for awhile, but I think he's finally realizing it himself.

Advertisement

No issue here

I was more referring to the guys that act like they are sick all the time so they don't have to do extra duty. I can see how you mistook that.

Advertisement
Back