How do we sign only 3 DTs when there are only 3 on the team?

Advertisement
More excuses. We are rummaging through the JUCO ranks because of the failures of the staff. JUCOs are nothing more than band aids, or white out over a mistake. And they're at JUCO for a reason -- they're ****ed up academically.

Shocking that a lot of them don't make it in. Find some kids that will qualify or don't miss so badly that you're forced to go shopping at the clearance rack.

It's directly the staff's fault.

Yeah, sure. Cortez Kennedy was a band aid.

I wish I could say how stupid some of these comments really are, but I can't because of moderator's rules.

Your lengthy list clearly shatters my theory.

I wish I could tell you what a moron you are, but ya know, rules are rules.

More excuses. We are rummaging through the JUCO ranks because of the failures of the staff. JUCOs are nothing more than band aids, or white out over a mistake. And they're at JUCO for a reason -- they're ****ed up academically.

Shocking that a lot of them don't make it in. Find some kids that will qualify or don't miss so badly that you're forced to go shopping at the clearance rack.

I wish I could say how stupid some of these comments really are, but I can't because of moderator's rules.

30 year old example. Any modern ones?

First explain why it's any different now? Jucos are still Jucos, most schools prefer to recruit out of HS and develop the kids over the years. Usually, Jucos are a stop-gap. So to say, a "band-aid," yes, they are all band-aids, including the Tez.

For those who say we are only recruiting three when we only have three, well, we've had teams that have had at most, four guy who could play, and that's when we were running a 4-3. When we were winning games with Derwin Jones, Greg Mark, Ernie Parrish and one other guy for two DTs,we were a lot thinner. I'm trying to remember who the fourth was. If you want more recent history, how many good DTs did we have in 2001? In fact,how many DTs period? Four. Matt Walters, Santonio Thomas, Vince Wilfork, and William Joseph.

Check yourself. Here's the link to the 2001 Rose Bowl Media Guide:

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=658365&SPID=103763&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205545408

And that's four to play 2 DT positions! Now we will have six DTs to play one NT position?

Three is actually good for us given our past performance recruiting DTs. The 2014 class is vastly more talented compared to the recent past. Like today's interest rates an upward trend is only because of circumstance (no where to go but up).

2013 - 0 (unless you count Kamalu and Hunter Knighton)
2012 - 3 (Earl Moore, Briscoe, Ivery - the latter two are gone and were last minute signees)
2011 - 3 (Darius Smith jc, Corey King late signer, Junior Alex - signed prior to fall camp /gone) OP came in as a DE
2010 - 2 (Tavadis Glenn and Jeff Brown - both never made it past one season)
2009 - 2 (Luther and Porter)

Advertisement

30 year old example. Any modern ones?

First explain why it's any different now? Jucos are still Jucos, most schools prefer to recruit out of HS and develop the kids over the years. Usually, Jucos are a stop-gap. So to say, a "band-aid," yes, they are all band-aids, including the Tez.

For those who say we are only recruiting three when we only have three, well, we've had teams that have had at most, four guy who could play, and that's when we were running a 4-3. When we were winning games with Derwin Jones, Greg Mark, Ernie Parrish and one other guy for two DTs,we were a lot thinner. I'm trying to remember who the fourth was. If you want more recent history, how many good DTs did we have in 2001? In fact,how many DTs period? Four. Matt Walters, Santonio Thomas, Vince Wilfork, and William Joseph.

Check yourself. Here's the link to the 2001 Rose Bowl Media Guide:

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=658365&SPID=103763&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205545408

And that's four to play 2 DT positions! Now we will have six DTs to play one NT position?

3 of those 4 guys were 5 star recruits.

JUCOs are a lot more thoroughly recruited now than they were in the mid 80s.

2013 - 0 (unless you count Kamalu and Hunter Knighton)
2012 - 3 (Earl Moore, Briscoe, Ivery - the latter two are gone and were last minute signees)
2011 - 3 (Darius Smith jc, Corey King late signer, Junior Alex - signed prior to fall camp /gone) OP came in as a DE
2010 - 2 (Tavadis Glenn and Jeff Brown - both never made it past one season)
2009 - 2 (Luther and Porter)
FFS

Advertisement
I thought organization and preparation were touted as Golden's best attributes.

Don't lay all your chips on long shots. Do your homework. Only themselves to blame.

At least we can field a **** of a "almost team" from the JUCO ranks. That'll help us.

What else can they have done w/r/t the JUCO guys though? Other than NOT recruit them? We needed immidiate help at DT. We needed JUCOs. We recruited almost every one of the top 12 in the country. We were finalists or actually had commitments from almost HALF of those guys, and only ONE could freaking get into school.

At some point, you have to realize that the academic standards at UM are an issue that is going to continue to hinder this program. With the exception of Stuckey, the rest of those guys, are probably going to be able to get into major programs, but couldnt qualify at UM. That's an issue. You can blame the staff all day long, but I dont care who the coach here is, that problem is not going to change. The most valid shot at this staff, is that the failure to land a DT last year, put more urgency and need on JUCO this year, which because of the standards at UM, and f*cked up bad luck, has still left us short handed.

And for all the b.s. whining about Wyche, it doesnt look like the staff was sitting on its @ss and just counting on this kid anyway. We got Huertelou AFTER we already had Wyche committed. They also kept working on Pelon, McDowell, and supposedly have been recruiting Gaillard this whole time on the down low. The Wyche thing was going to f*ck us regardless of what the staff did.

Unfortunately, this just isn't accurate man. You and I have been on the boards long enough together that I can assure you it's not the academic qualifications that are truly holding these guys back. I've been told essentially from the horse's mouth that if Golden needs to get someone in, he can almost universally do so provided they meet NCAA requirements or conference requirements like in the Wyche case. They don't have to always meet Miami academic criteria. So, let's check that excuse at the door, and let's look past just the DT deficiency.

There are plenty of major issues. I'll name a few:

1. The NCAA investigation. While some understand, the impression I have is that many people just don't fully comprehend the true negative impact the investigation has had on the program both on the field and off the field in terms of recruiting and community impression. Completely devastating.

2. Recruiting. As you know, this is the life blood of any program. The biggest issue Golden currently has is his lack of credibility. He now has a record to go on, and it isn't very good. He can say whatever he wants, but there's always going to be somebody in that SoFla kid's ear saying something negative about Miami whether it be opposing coach, street handler, other local players, etc., and Golden really can only refute those comments by blaming the investigation which people just get tired of hearing.

Golden is supremely fortunate that he's even gotten the kids who have committed. I think it's as much a function of them wanting to stay home as anything else. Certainly, it's not his record. Again, it isn'y entirely fair because Golden has had to not only repair local school relationships, he's had to deal with the NCAA investigation, negative recruiting, and now probation which also handcuffs the behind-the-scenes recruiting war. He's doing all of this as a young, and, IMO, still learning head coach.

So, he needs to win but doesn't have the players. He can't get the players because he hasn't won. See what's happening here? The other issues of probation, street handlers, etc, are legit, but the big elephant in the room is his record. He just isn't good enough as a coach (yet?) to overcome that deficiency. He's going to need a transcendent player at QB to overcome all of this IMO.

Throw in the fact that he flirted with another program and was all but gone if they offered the job. Players that want to play for the U will sign with us, but Golden has lost credibility and players aren't going to be convinced to come play for him.

I was wondering when somebody was going to bring up Edgar Cerenord, we should of really pushed for this kid.

DT and RB recruiting has been awful under Golden. The best DT he brought in is Olsen Pierre who I don't remember making a single play this past year. Darius Smith, Ivery, King, Moore, Briscoe. That is a disgusting list if I ever saw one.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back