How big does a kid need to be to play center at Miami?

NorthFlaCane

Senior
I've got a nephew who has just finished up the 9th grade. He played center at South Walton up in Destin, and his family is moving to Tallahassee to enroll him at North Florida Christian. Their thinking is that this will give him an opportunity to pursue football at a higher level while still going to a good high school. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, right now the kid is 5' 11", 230lbs. He broke his ankle last year (everything healed fine) and the doc said his growth plates showed he had 3-5" worth of growth remaining. So he could top out at 6'2" to maybe 6'4". My brother is thinking that he can get him up to about 280 by the time he's a senior.

So what do you guys think? Is 6'3" 280 big enough to play center at a school like Miami?

I did tell my brother about the Golden camps and encouraged him to take him down to one next summer, after he's spent a year at NFC and in the weight room.

Advertisement
Definitely big enough as long as he grows a few more inches. The weight will come on eventually if he has the body to put it on.

Another thing to consider is that the center is usually the shortest of all the linemen (not true across the board but typically). With that said, he does not need to be a giant in terms of height. I think a solid 6-6'2 would work just fine as long as he has the right kind of weight and can play the position.

Gotta be 6'2"..LEGIT. 6'1" and 7/8 is too short...good teams will be scared away.

Advertisement
6'3" 280 is big enough to get RECRUITED as an OC, but he will need to get to 310 or so (and be good:) to start IMHO.

6'3" 280 is big enough to get RECRUITED as an OC, but he will need to get to 310 or so (and be good:) to start IMHO.
wolly.....sweat-rod and romberg say that you have no ******* idea what you are talking about

Advertisement
wolly.....sweat-rod and romberg say that you have no ******* idea what you are talking about

2012 says hello.
so you are saying that romberg wouldnt be any good just because its 2012?

swing and a miss

football isnt your thing

stick to iphones and name dropping names of people youve never met

if you can be at least 6'2 245 and you can snap that ***** and have good technique i dont see why not.

If he's a center, smarts and technique is more important than size IMO. Teach him that, and he shouldn't have a problem.

Don't forget having to be able to bench press a nose tackle. Fairly important. Not too caught up with height, but technique, quick hands, and sneaky strength are paramount.

Advertisement

2012 says hello.

swing and a miss

football isnt your thing

Thanks for your mature response. From one Cane to another, I hope whatever your personal problems are that you are able to resolve them and start to get your life together. In the meantime, if this need to keep stalking, attacking me, sending me messages and "negging" me is what keeps you going, I'm cool with it. Just hope you get better soon. Go Canes.

wolly.....sweat-rod and romberg say that you have no ****ing idea what you are talking about

2012 says hello.

swing and a miss

football isnt your thing

Thanks for your mature response. From one Cane to another, I hope whatever your personal problems are that you are able to resolve them and start to get your life together. In the meantime, if this need to keep stalking, attacking me, sending me messages and "negging" me is what keeps you going, I'm cool with it. Just hope you get better soon. Go Canes.

Dude doesn't approve of new Canes fans either. Kinda sad.

wolly.....sweat-rod and romberg say that you have no ****ing idea what you are talking about

2012 says hello.

swing and a miss

football isnt your thing

Dude doesn't approve of new Canes fans either. Kinda sad.

Yea he seems to be a douche every time he posts.

Advertisement
I played center at UCF and I'm legit 6'2 3/4 and I was weighing a good 275 my senior year of high school.... 299 as a freshman. If he can get to 6'2 he'll be good to go.

Advertisement
Back