Houston Briles vs Lashlee

AllAboutTheU13

Sophomore
Was curious if any play calling gurus on here could lay out some of the similarities and differences between Houston’s 2018 offense with Briles/King vs. Lashlee’s offense. Post-Auburn/Malzahn, Lashlee seems to be molding his offense in a similar way to what Briles ran at Houston. Very up-tempo, 11 personnel, lots of RPOs, explosive with lots of deep shots, pretty balanced at about 37 passes and 40 runs a game, extreme use of spreading out WRs to create space. But I’m not an expert so curious what you all think.

Advertisement
Interesting last comment. Although, it did at times, seem like he was drawing plays in the dirt against us last year. I never thought young Briles was anything special.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Biggest differences are

1. Briles had a well-designed spread option run attack with a variety of concepts vs. Lashlee who preferred a simplified run game when he could get away with it. But one had King and the other had Buechele.

2. Lashlee uses design in the pass game with formations, alignments, concepts and routes that create easy reads and throws. Briles uses the same static spread formations and relies on pace and talent to get chunk vertical gains. It worked with King but often failed at FSU like when we played them and Orlovsky was criticizing them the whole game as our press corners blanketed Terry on the outside.

The biggest difference I've noted, based on FSU last year and three SMU games ive watched is the run game.
FSU did mainly inside zone, while Lashlee ran, power, inside zone, counters, an sweeps, jet sweeps etc.
I actually prefer Lashlee over young Briles by a lot. His timing is much better and relies on pace and space along with his playcalling, as opposed to the former.
Miami VS FSU, young Briles was giving the game away, he was as predictable as Richt was, just different plays. 3rd and long here comes the sideline deep shot.

Advertisement
FSU had a solid offense under Briles when they were evenly matched. They had just as bad of a OLine as us and even worse QB play. I thought Lashlee offense would take at least a full season to get going but with a Trigger Man like D-King at QB we might have immediate success in our switch to the spread/Uptempo

Lashlee likely won’t be the play caller he was at SMU he had a guy installing air raid concepts into his scheme. He will likely roll back into a run heavy more basic looking spread not what people are picturing in the old dynamic Baylor or Houston offenses

Advertisement
Lashlee likely won’t be the play caller he was at SMU he had a guy installing air raid concepts into his scheme. He will likely roll back into a run heavy more basic looking spread not what people are picturing in the old dynamic Baylor or Houston offenses
Where did you get this information from? One of the reasons Lashlee parted ways with Gus Malzahn was that he wanted to incorporate more diversity in the passing game. Auburn receivers only run like four routes.

As for what the difference between Lashlee and Briles, there’s quite a bit. Both are all about pace and space but that’s about where the similarities end. Briles likes to draw the defense in with a lot of inside running plays. Inside zone, traps, quarterback draws. Then he attacks vertically with wideouts often split across the entire width of the field. Lashlee likes to attack the perimeter with the running game. He does look to get vertical but his offense is not dependent on it. If the defense respects the deep pass, he will work underneath routes to death until the defense counters it. His air raid scheme uses a ton of option routes so it’s important that the receivers and QB are on the same page every snap. I’m assuming he’s going to incorporate more designed quarterback runs with D’Erick King than he did at SMU with a much less athletic Shane Buchele.

giphy - 2020-10-08T184005.862.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back