Honest question

Mario is narrowly focused and relentless. I struggle with the elite label because of glaring holes in recruiting classes and his lack of understanding the portal.
What "glaring" holes were in this last class exactly?

Advertisement
QUARTERBACK
Corner
Safety
TE not sure this matters after typing it.

Quarterback is TBD for me. Dual sport athlete. We shall see he definitely improved.

Corner. Average class. Nothing elite. Agree.

Safety - im assuming depth but odd choice? We have a portal safety and an elite one

TE? Lofton isn't prototypical but he will block and is a more physically impressive Quadtrine Hill especially after last year's class assuming you stack years back to back (I do).

Definitely nitpicking on some of these.

Quarterback is TBD for me. Dual sport athlete. We shall see he definitely improved.

Corner. Average class. Nothing elite. Agree.

Safety - im assuming depth but odd choice? We have a portal safety and an elite one

TE? Lofton isn't prototypical but he will block and is a more physically impressive Quadtrine Hill especially after last year's class assuming you stack years back to back (I do).

Definitely nitpicking on some of these.
We have no depth at any of the areas I listed. What is nitpicking about that? The safety we added via the portal is elite/great/good/ok/decent (in your opionion) ? Even if we used a TE I dont see Lofton being more than an H-back type. We pursued bigger bodies for a reason imo. It appears you want a real discussion about this, I'm intrigued.

We have no depth at any of the areas I listed. What is nitpicking about that? The safety we added via the portal is elite/great/good/ok/decent (in your opionion) ? Even if we used a TE I dont see Lofton being more than an H-back type. We pursued bigger bodies for a reason imo. It appears you want a real discussion about this, I'm intrigued.
We're relying on youth at a lot of these positions and year two is rolling in.

Sink or swim time from the staff in that regard.

Carver, Williams, Arroyo and Lofton should be good for TE. Is white boy getting his 17th year? I honestly don't know.

Safety I would prefer adding one more for depth. It isn't critical but it's close.

QB we absolutely 10000% need to land a portal player who doesn't drink bleach.

Corner. 2025 is absolutely stacked. We better land elite corners. Average to maybe above average talent acquisition there.

IMHO Mario is banking on elite lines to augment every other position. Not necessarily something I'm mad about with how he's recruited the lines.

Advertisement
We're relying on youth at a lot of these positions and year two is rolling in.

Sink or swim time from the staff in that regard.

Carver, Williams, Arroyo and Lofton should be good for TE. Is white boy getting his 17th year? I honestly don't know.

Safety I would prefer adding one more for depth. It isn't critical but it's close.

QB we absolutely 10000% need to land a portal player who doesn't drink bleach.

Corner. 2025 is absolutely stacked. We better land elite corners. Average to maybe above average talent acquisition there.

IMHO Mario is banking on elite lines to augment every other position. Not necessarily something I'm mad about with how he's recruited the lines.
Relying on youth in a foundational year is scary. We have no idea how college ready a Justin Scott or Ny Carr are. The worst part is we don't have the luxury at any position to bring guys along slowly. We wasted countless opportunities to get young safeties sans Harris looks.

I'm not comfortable discussing TE because of the way they are used and the constant injuries. I once believed rhe room was stacked but only had high school rankings to justify it. In honesty we have nothing.

We dont only need a portal QB we need A back up as well. Jacurri could be a 2 in an imperfect world but he looks closer to 2025 than 2024.

2025 corner is stacked but who do we have behind Porter and Brown for 2024? Injuries happen and we continur to be ill prepared. At best the guys we brought in this year are 2025 ready. We don't have any speed in our secondary that is frightening.

Mario may be banking on elite lines but outside of Bain we dont have elite (as of Decmber 30th) options. We lost 1 DT for our bowl game and couldn't stop a cold. Clark and Cook will be something, I'm not envisioning elite .

- Stacking talent pretty much across the board. Only 4 positions Id say are questions right now: QB, CB, TE, and S.

QB we are trying to add Ward who would be the best QB we’ve had here in quite some time. And with a portal guy and Emory another year developed, it’s pretty much guaranteed we are in a better situation at QB next yr than we were this yr.

CB imo is by far our worst position group. But at least even there Damari looks to be legit, and Porter has been consistently good to great for us. Stafford has a lot of talent and hopefully steps up. I also expect us to add a portal guy like Antoine Jackson.

TE we reallly struggled this yr due to Cam sucking in pass game and Arroyo being injured and Riley Williams being a true freshman. With Riley and Carver being Sophomores, and adding Loftin and Arroyo hopefully being healthy I think we see massive improvement here too. Honestly it can’t get worse than last yr which was the single worst season out of our TEs in like 40 years probably.

Safety we added a pretty legit HS guy in Patterson, already signed 1 portal guy that will at worst be a good depth piece. And then hopefully Jaden Harris steps up. I expect to probably be Average at Safety next yr BUT I think it’s totally possible even average safety play WITHOUT the gigantic negative plays we’ve had the past 2 years could actually lead to an overall defensive improvement as a whole. Won’t has as many big positive plays, but if we don’t have as many big negative plays this could be good.

Also looks like we have a really good DC in Guidry. Dawson at OC still has some question marks, but has shown this offense absolutely can reach pretty high peaks. Guess next yr we will see if the problem was TVD with injuries and a broken Brain and Emory being a true freshman not really ready. And imo this bowl game didn’t really show all that much. Yall are ****ed about the offense in our bowl game when we were out a Starting WR, C, LG, and two QBs… idk I think we actually did better on offense than I expected especially in our 2min drives.

next yr I expect to be better at QB (Ward), RB (development), WR (development+ freshman), TE (development+health), OT (Mauigoa less penalties + development), DE (health + more talent and development from Bain/Wayne/Kelly) DT (health + depth), LB (youth athleticism), and CB (starters more talent + development). I think worse at interior OL (losing Lee) and S (losing Kam)

I think @Cribby said it best in another thread but with what the going NIL rate is for HS QBs and the high likelihood of them flopping, it just makes more sense to go to the portal and recruit low 4 and 3 star QBs. Take a look at the top 15 QBs from 2017-2022 and you'll see that the miss rate is wild.

2017-2022 4 & 5 star QBs:

Clemson- 6 and only hit on Lawrence (who was the 2nd highest rated QB ever)

Washington- 6 and all but 1 (Austin Mack) have transferred out

Texas- 6 with 1 being a decent college QB in Ehlinger and the others transferring out or switching positions

I think @Cribby said it best in another thread but with what the going NIL rate is for HS QBs and the high likelihood of them flopping, it just makes more sense to go to the portal and recruit low 4 and 3 star QBs. Take a look at the top 15 QBs from 2017-2022 and you'll see that the miss rate is wild.

Texas- 6 with 1 being a decent college QB in Ehlinger and the others transferring out or switching positions
I’ll take raw kids that need work but have al lot of the attributes you want in a qb. Coach him up the way I want my qb to be / play. Then spend on a portal kid with a year or two of eligibility left. Rinse repeat . If you’re a quality qb coach you’ll occasionally hit on the lower rated kid. I’d treat G5 and low P5 schools as my farm system.

Advertisement
Mario is an elite recruiter so why has he had trouble stacking elite high school qbs? Not saying we can’t have a diamond in the rough with Emory or Judd but why can we recruit every position besides the most important one?
Same sh Saban went through it took awhile they don’t grow on trees. Probably the most difficult position to evaluate and most flame out

Yea portal QBs are way easier to recruit lmao.

Relying on youth in a foundational year is scary. We have no idea how college ready a Justin Scott or Ny Carr are. The worst part is we don't have the luxury at any position to bring guys along slowly. We wasted countless opportunities to get young safeties sans Harris looks.

I'm not comfortable discussing TE because of the way they are used and the constant injuries. I once believed rhe room was stacked but only had high school rankings to justify it. In honesty we have nothing.

We dont only need a portal QB we need A back up as well. Jacurri could be a 2 in an imperfect world but he looks closer to 2025 than 2024.

2025 corner is stacked but who do we have behind Porter and Brown for 2024? Injuries happen and we continur to be ill prepared. At best the guys we brought in this year are 2025 ready. We don't have any speed in our secondary that is frightening.

Mario may be banking on elite lines but outside of Bain we dont have elite (as of Decmber 30th) options. We lost 1 DT for our bowl game and couldn't stop a cold. Clark and Cook will be something, I'm not envisioning elite .
Bowl games, all of them sans CFP are a wash for me atm. I'm curious what happens going forward because it's a mess.

I support the players but it is a mess.

This year I expected 8 wins. We got 7 sans Ga Tech.

Next year my expectation is 10 wins. Schedule is trash and if we are who we think we are 10 wins.

Curious how it works out. Mario has work to do. Recruiting season is far from over.

Hole No GIF

Advertisement
He got Riley Williams last year a good wr group this year we will see if he can keep the QB he has for next year.
And Jackson Carver who should really help this year! Very good athlete. Mario gets Cam Ward we will be a top 12 team even if Mario doesn’t understand clock management

In fairness, he had Jaden Rashada as a high end prospect until the Gators ****ed it up for everyone

Mario is narrowly focused and relentless. I struggle with the elite label because of glaring holes in recruiting classes and his lack of understanding the portal.
What is it that makes him understand the portal according to you? Is it keying on primarily the positions of obvious need? Or is it keying on the right kids throughout? I'm just asking. Cause I can sure as he'll look right now and take issue with depth at several positions. 3 in particular,possibly 4 since dts are known to not be ready to contribute in year 1 and even with the two additions we'll need the incoming class to contribute atleast heavily. I'll take issue that we're still just waiting on cam(even though I know this is a tricky situation) I probably would've said enough is enough we gotta bring in someone who we can count on to handle this offense atleast next season. I can take issue with corners & safeties. But I know he's tried to bring in people at all of those positions. As of now he hasn't landed enough. But does that mean he doesn't understand the portal? Personally I don't think so.

Advertisement
What is it that makes him understand the portal according to you? Is it keying on primarily the positions of obvious need? Or is it keying on the right kids throughout? I'm just asking. Cause I can sure as he'll look right now and take issue with depth at several positions. 3 in particular,possibly 4 since dts are known to not be ready to contribute in year 1 and even with the two additions we'll need the incoming class to contribute atleast heavily. I'll take issue that we're still just waiting on cam(even though I know this is a tricky situation) I probably would've said enough is enough we gotta bring in someone who we can count on to handle this offense atleast next season. I can take issue with corners & safeties. But I know he's tried to bring in people at all of those positions. As of now he hasn't landed enough. But does that mean he doesn't understand the portal? Personally I don't think so.
Their are several factors that contribute. Firstly we should never take a player solely because they want to come home. Imo Ladson, Harrel, Davis, Denis to name a few were never good enough to be here.

Secondly consistently adding depth pieces that can't contribute is bothersome. Imo Campbell, Gore, Roberts, Lou, Saggopalu to name a few should never have been here. I get the Lou thing every team does it but not at the expense of them ever actually having to play.

I'm not privy to who we target and it could be the right guys in theory but when a Walter Nolen type player enters the portal he should be the main priority. To often we bring in a Deen, Clark, Cook low ceiling bridge gap player.

We can't have our major additions be LG and C on offense. I think you understand that those are not vital positions in the pecking order. We appear to always be waiting (prey) instead of being the aggressor (predators). I don't have an issue waiting on Ward he is far and away the cream of the crop. I do have an issue with not pursuing a QB2 in the interim.

Mario samay have issues with the secondary but the CIS reports have been contrary to that belief. We have been told they like the room and may or may not look to add. QB depth is bad, WR depth is bad, TE depth is whatever I've given up. Interior OL depth appears to be bad we played Lou. DE depth is bad, DT depth is bad, CB depth is bad, S depth is bad. Outside of LB I'm concerned across the board.

I honestly have no idea how we are attmpting to fill out the roster. Seems like HS recruiting is well enough we shouldn't have so many question marks. If I had to sum it all up though my biggest complaint is we aren't at the table with the elites. (Ward being the exception not the norm)

That doesn't make sense why it would only apply to a WR and not a QB..
top qb’s probably don’t trust him to play todays offense. WR are always needed to catch the ball, doesn’t matter if 3star or 5star Qb

top qb’s probably don’t trust him to play todays offense. WR are always needed to catch the ball, doesn’t matter if 3star or 5star Qb
Nah doesn’t make sense. Much worse for a WR’s stats to have a QB who has 19 tds to 12 ints than 30+ tds to under 10 ints. They want to go to places with legit qbs

Advertisement
Back