Honest question.

Genron

Recruit
Do y'all feel like a kid that reads on a 6-8 grade level, may have an IEP, and barely meets the academic minimum standards (with help of course) should attend the Univ of Miami?
I'll really want to see what current or former UM students have to say. Everyone input is welcomed though. Honestly, would that student athlete be put in the best situation. Or do you grant the Elite elite student athlete a chance and not a non elite athlete?
Is that a point to even consider in recruiting ?

Advertisement
If the athletic department provides adequate support for in terms of legitimate tutoring and mentoring, then yes. Why not? The environment will do more for the kid than a large, septic state institution would.

Well if these kids were smart they wouldn't associate themselves with a POS like you who clings on to these kids for personal benefit.

Your intentions with the question seem genuine but this is an awful place to ask such question. There are some people here who forget this is a collegiate football program altogether.

Advertisement
There are exceptions to the rule. Obviously, Frank Gore had a learning disability. To answer the broader question. Unless the student is going to Marshall (which is a big stretch to the education level you're suggesting). The student athlete should be enrolled into a prep school. If they are going or, being steered to other major universities at those reading levels. That can only suggest systemic academic fraud from the high school level throughout the college level.

I believe if they meet the minimum standard and are elite athletes they should be allowed in. They will have the opportunity to get the tutoring and mentoring they need to learn and catch up if they really want to, and they will also get the opportunity to ball out and go pro if that's what they are solely focused on.

Miami is a top 50 school academically in the country. That doesn't nessecarilly mean that it will be harder for kids who may not have learned much in high school to succeed. What it does mean is that there will be more real academic resources for that kid to utilize at the school. I'm not talking about cheating, but actual advantages like smaller class size, professors who are willing to spend time individually with students and student tutors.

Athletes actually get to utilize these resources more than the average student.

Look, with a guy like Richt at the helm, you can be sure that he is going to do what's best for the student-athlete. From all accounts I've seen he actually does care about the kids and wants them to be successful in whatever field they end up going into.

At the end of the day, I believe Miami is a better environment for academically challenged kids moreso than a place like Alabama. Where they will continue to coast and not really learn anything and where a guy like Saban could care less what happens to you after you graduate.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nope. As a UM grad, I care about the perceived value of a UM degree, and although I don't mind giving athletes the benefit of the doubt when it comes to admission (or extra tutoring help once they're in), I personally can't justify admitting someone who's reading at a middle school level.

If the athletic department provides adequate support for in terms of legitimate tutoring and mentoring, then yes. Why not? The environment will do more for the kid than a large, septic state institution would.

Do you give that chance to every kid or just the ones that can make a difference ?

There are exceptions to the rule. Obviously, Frank Gore had a learning disability. To answer the broader question. Unless the student is going to Marshall (which is a big stretch to the education level you're suggesting). The student athlete should be enrolled into a prep school. If they are going or, being steered to other major universities at those reading levels. That can only suggest systemic academic fraud from the high school level throughout the college level.
Well said, I agree. But do you take a chance on the kid? If so, how many?

Advertisement
Do y'all feel like a kid that reads on a 6-8 grade level, may have an IEP, and barely meets the academic minimum standards (with help of course) should attend the Univ of Miami?
I'll really want to see what current or former UM students have to say. Everyone input is welcomed though. Honestly, would that student athlete be put in the best situation. Or do you grant the Elite elite student athlete a chance and not a non elite athlete?

Even more so. Those kids would be swallowed at a large school, churned for athletics and spit back into the community that failed them. UM can afford the resources to provide the remedial support they will need to progress. Frank Gore is exhibit A.

Your intentions with the question seem genuine but this is an awful place to ask such question. There are some people here who forget this is a collegiate football program altogether.

That's true... if a student has been given grades and had his test score meet the minimum... I do think at time UM staff calculates that. Especially in local kids.

I believe if they meet the minimum standard and are elite athletes they should be allowed in. They will have the opportunity to get the tutoring and mentoring they need to learn and catch up if they really want to, and they will also get the opportunity to ball out and go pro if that's what they are solely focused on.

Miami is a top 50 school academically in the country. That doesn't nessecarilly mean that it will be harder for kids who may not have learned much in high school to succeed. What it does mean is that there will be more real academic resources for that kid to utilize at the school. I'm not talking about cheating, but actual advantages like smaller class size, professors who are willing to spend time individually with students and student tutors.

Athletes actually get to utilize these resources more than the average student.

Look, with a guy like Richt at the helm, you can be sure that he is going to do what's best for the student-athlete. From all accounts I've seen he actually does care about the kids and wants them to be successful in whatever field they end up going into.

At the end of the day, I believe Miami is a better environment for academically challenged kids moreso than a place like Alabama. Where they will continue to coast and not really learn anything and where a guy like Saban could care less what happens to you after you graduate.

Hey Pete there it is!!!! This is a best possible answer John. This needs to be framed and known by local communities and HS coaches . Many kids and families do think UM is harder then FSU or Bama. At FSU n Bama they tell kids n families don't worry about grades. All of our athletes pass.

Advertisement
Nope. As a UM grad, I care about the perceived value of a UM degree, and although I don't mind giving athletes the benefit of the doubt when it comes to admission (or extra tutoring help once they're in), I personally can't justify admitting someone who's reading at a middle school level.

That's a great point. This has merit.

Do you give that chance to every kid or just the ones that can make a difference ?

If he's a take in terms of the athlete and his character and you think he's a fit with your team, then yes. The program has two parallel goals. Win games, and take proper care of their student athletes.

What a dumb****ing question

Do you think said athlete is going to otherwise graduate from LSU w a phd and subsequently cure cancer?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back