HOF and Edge

Consigliere

All-American
I want to know the argument for Terrell Davis over Edgerrin James. If those are the only two options, I want to know the argument for it.

Advertisement
People seem to like a few flashy seasons rather than a career. Similar to Kurt Warner. They also put a lot of weight into Super Bowls and I think the Colts won after he left?

Advertisement
Davis on tv. Edge isn't. Same with Warner. NFL network politics for them. *** em

Last edited:
Warner went to 3 Super Bowls 1156 yards passing in Super Bowl career had team in lead late in all 3 defense lost 2 in last minute and was 2 time league MVP so he was not a flash in the pan

Last edited:
Edgerrin has over 3K career carries average 4 a clip. A couple rushing titles

Only elite backs in history get 3k carries research it

Stamp his ballot

Advertisement
I want to know the argument for Terrell Davis over Edgerrin James. If those are the only two options, I want to know the argument for it.

My guess would be Davis goes into the Gayle Sayers category. Elway road Davis' back to two straight Super Bowl wins. Without Davis, they don't sniff a Super Bowl. Davis was as dominant as any running back I've seen during that two year stretch.

Edge gets in without a doubt. But if Edge gets in then the guy that should be in is Ottis Anderson. That dude played for very bad Cardinal teams. Best back to not be in the HoF in my opinion.

That is a joke. Edge is one of best of all time. He better get there next year.

There's a good case to be made that first-ballot HOFers in any sport should have been considered the greatest active player at their position at some point in their career. That probably applies to Davis, but not to James.

There are lots of examples in baseball.

Advertisement
There's a good case to be made that first-ballot HOFers in any sport should have been considered the greatest active player at their position at some point in their career. That probably applies to Davis, but not to James.

2,000 yards from scrimmage in a season has only been done 64 times in NFL history. Edge accounts for 4 of those. Put him in.

People seem to like a few flashy seasons rather than a career. Similar to Kurt Warner. They also put a lot of weight into Super Bowls and I think the Colts won after he left?

Warner took that Cardinals team with no oline or run game to the Super bowl, and was a James Harrison chop block and the refs ignoring Harrison punching a guy while he's on the ground away from winning the entire thing

Edge came in to the league and lead the NFL in rushing his first two years, now as a rookie nobody is going to say he was the best over guys he out performed like curtis martin and emmitt smith who were household names but he was just as good as them as a rookie at that point in time.

1999 NFL Rushing & Receiving | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Advertisement

Edge came in to the league and lead the NFL in rushing his first two years, now as a rookie nobody is going to say he was the best over guys he out performed like curtis martin and emmitt smith who were household names but he was just as good as them as a rookie at that point in time.

Everything you say is true. No denying he deserves to be in. But even in the years he lead the league in rushing (2000 his best year), his YPC was just good, not great. He only had one year above 4.4 per. That's middle of the pack. He was a workhorse and a very good receiving back for a long time. Hall worthy. I think Martin is a good comparison.

My guess would be Davis goes into the Gayle Sayers category. Elway road Davis' back to two straight Super Bowl wins. Without Davis, they don't sniff a Super Bowl. Davis was as dominant as any running back I've seen during that two year stretch.

Edge gets in without a doubt. But if Edge gets in then the guy that should be in is Ottis Anderson. That dude played for very bad Cardinal teams. Best back to not be in the HoF in my opinion.

TD's best 4 seasons

6413 Rushing Yards
56 Rushing TDs
1181 Receiving Yards
5 Receiving TDs

EJ's best 4 seasons

6316 Rushing Yards
45 Rushing TDs
2000 Receiving Yards
10 Receiving TDs

Honestly, that is essentially TD's whole career above. I don't see why TD is even being considered for the HOF. I am not saying those 4 years weren't great, I am saying that 4 years isn't enough.

Everything you say is true. No denying he deserves to be in. But even in the years he lead the league in rushing (2000 his best year), his YPC was just good, not great. He only had one year above 4.4 per. That's middle of the pack. He was a workhorse and a very good receiving back for a long time. Hall worthy. I think Martin is a good comparison.

yeah he was very similar to curtis martin who is in the HOF neither of them were known for spectacular highlights just very productive, the knee injury edge suffered took some of his explosiveness away though I bet he would've put up greater numbers he was getting better each yearand not being on the colts super bowl team hurts his legacy too

Well edge likely wont get in for another 2 years then. I think its absolute BS Davis got the finalist nod over him. The fact is he is being overshadowed because of Peyton. It definitely is BS.

But LT and Davis will have to get in before Edge has a shot. LT is going to be a 1st ballot guy and is definitely deserving of being so. But the HOF committee I don't think typically puts in 2 guys at one position in the same year. But at least theres not really anyone else that I can think of that would jump him after those 2. So it will be a waiting game for him to get in.
Maybe 2018: Ray Lewis
2019: Ed Reed
2020: Edge
20??: Reggie Wayne
20??: Frank Gore

Advertisement
Back