High School Football Coaches Leaving Florida

Advertisement
An article in The Palm Beach Post reveals that Florida high school football coaches are leaving for Georgia. Reasons being better pay and lower living expenses. You wonder why the quality of football and the quantity of quality players have improved in Georgia in recent years. Florida is lagging.
Hard to be the best football coach I can be when I'm also teaching AP classes and serving as the dean while being told I have to coach track or whatever too. And all for $3K in stipends and limited PD/CEU opportunities.

The coaching stipend, even for a head coach, is tiny and doesn’t do much to supplement already weak teacher pay. The cost of living here has exploded to the point where it’s just not worth it for anyone who isn’t making at least 100k. Considering the median teacher makes around 55k and the coaching money is like 4k. It’s no surprise that people are fleeing to states where you get paid better and live cheaper.

The coaching stipend, even for a head coach, is tiny and doesn’t do much to supplement already weak teacher pay. The cost of living here has exploded to the point where it’s just not worth it for anyone who isn’t making at least 100k. Considering the median teacher makes around 55k and the coaching money is like 4k. It’s no surprise that people are fleeing to states where you get paid better and live cheaper.
Not a coach but I had to move from south Florida to Tennessee 4 years ago. Cheaper living and higher pay

Advertisement
Apparently these recent pay increases have done little to nothing for coaches. That is very unfortunate. Need to get boosters more involved.
In South Florida specifically, booster clubs are rare. Hard to build a booster club when even the parents that care, send their kid to another school the following year.

Not a coach but I had to move from south Florida to Tennessee 4 years ago. Cheaper living and higher pay
I work in a blue collar industry and it’s the same. People are leaving in droves because they he pay is crap and the costs are ridiculous. It’s only going to hurt the people who live here because the guys staying are all raising the prices. It’s going to cost you $200 for an oil change and $150 for someone to cut your yard soon.

Advertisement
I work in a blue collar industry and it’s the same. People are leaving in droves because they he pay is crap and the costs are ridiculous. It’s only going to hurt the people who live here because the guys staying are all raising the prices. It’s going to cost you $200 for an oil change and $150 for someone to cut your yard soon.
$149 labor at Tire Kingdom

Advertisement
what pay increases are you referring to? Those announced on the news stations?
The Florida legislature passed pay increases for public school employees. I do not know if they extend to coaches.

The only television I watch is sports. I don't have cable.

The Florida legislature passed pay increases for public school employees. I do not know if they extend to coaches.

The only television I watch is sports. I don't have cable.
Don't believe what you hear. Board voted down the increase in Broward. A first year teacher makes maybe 10k less than a 25 year vet.

They increase starting pay only. Suck them in.

They have been accepting the 1.5-2% raises these past few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
An article in The Palm Beach Post reveals that Florida high school football coaches are leaving for Georgia. Reasons being better pay and lower living expenses. You wonder why the quality of football and the quantity of quality players have improved in Georgia in recent years. Florida is lagging.

Really hate seeing stuff like this

rate raises going out this month. Let’s see how many of these 400+ accounts I can lose.

rate raises going out this month. Let’s see how many of these 400+ accounts I can lose.
I work at a power equipment dealership. You’re not the only one who’s told me that recently.

Advertisement
Back