High school development & recruits to keep an eye on?

Gi0logy

Freshman
Premium
Recruiting season is upon us and with that, the doom & gloom it brings. It seems like some of us are bit split. I'd like to shift the conversation to instead focus on how COVID impacted 2022 recruiting process. There's no doubt in my mind COVID not only changed recruiting for 2021 class but also 2022. The inability to practice/develop, the loss of games and lack of film, coaches not being able to watch games in person, etc, likely impacted the overall scouting reports coaches have for their boards.

I'm 100% betting on a few things, specifically that the board changes up in Q4 assuming that:
a) a 3 star recruit w/ a borderline committable offer that takes off in 2022 with a full season turns into a priority
b) an athlete that wasn't really on anybody's radar blows up and impresses staff
c) a high profile recruit ends up underperforming and forces us to go into a different direction (not as concerned about this)

So my question to those that are in the know, who are some of the SFL athletes that stand to gain the most with a full 2021 high school season?

Advertisement
I think Manny mentioned something along these lines during the visits in June which included the first time they seen some of these kids in person and these visits were also evaluations...I think there will be new names that pop up but it makes the evaluations even more important

Highly likely there will be more late evaluations and offers with how many kids didn’t get fair evals, development and exposure in 2020. By everyone, not just Miami. The last 18 months of recruiting, and the next 6 months is likely the most unique we will ever see because of all the Covid bull****.

The covid really hurt a lot of kid's recruitment. I have at least 2 kids that would've benefitted greatly if college coaches had been able to evaluate them during spring.

Sometimes there's kids that "come into their own" during their 11th grade spring. They hit a growth spirt, get faster, add muscle, etc etc etc...and they BECOME more "recruitable" players.

When I had Fabian Moreau, he wasn't even being recruited in the beginning of his Junior year. He hit a growth spirt, went to a couple camps and ran well, and when spring football started he was 6'0" 185lbs running a 4.35 forty. Boom. He started getting interest.
This is why spring is so **** important.

I've got a DB right now who's a defensive version of Moreau. Late bloomer.
The kid has grown an inch and added 18lbs of muscle. He's up to 6'1" 192lbs running a 4.5 forty right now, with great feet.
He attended a camp at Clemson last month and they loved him. He looked better physically than one of their current DB commits did.
But he's got zero offers right now because nobody was able to evaluate him (in person) during spring.

For the kids who've already established themselves as P5 prospects, it's no big deal. But for kids who are on the fringe, it sucks.

The covid really hurt a lot of kid's recruitment. I have at least 2 kids that would've benefitted greatly if college coaches had been able to evaluate them during spring.

Sometimes there's kids that "come into their own" during their 11th grade spring. They hit a growth spirt, get faster, add muscle, etc etc etc...and they BECOME more "recruitable" players.

When I had Fabian Moreau, he wasn't even being recruited in the beginning of his Junior year. He hit a growth spirt, went to a couple camps and ran well, and when spring football started he was 6'0" 185lbs running a 4.35 forty. Boom. He started getting interest.

The kid has grown an inch and added 18lbs of muscle. He's up to 6'1" 192lbs running a 4.5 forty right now, with great feet.
He attended a camp at Clemson last month and they loved him. He looked better physically than one of their current DB commits did.
But he's got zero offers right now because nobody was able to evaluate him (in person) during spring.

For the kids who've already established themselves as P5 prospects, it's no big deal. But for kids who are on the fringe, it sucks.
I agree with all of this. The inability to evaluate the 2021 kids in person in their junior spring and senior regular season was a real problem for colleges. They may have signed kids that they wouldn't sign otherwise and missed on kids that they would have signed. This will continue through the 2022 class. As a result, I think the transfer portal, JUCO and prep schools are going to play an even more important role in filling out rosters for the next couple of years.

Advertisement
I agree with all of this. The inability to evaluate the 2021 kids in person in their junior spring and senior regular season was a real problem for colleges. They may have signed kids that they wouldn't sign otherwise and missed on kids that they would have signed. This will continue through the 2022 class. As a result, I think the transfer portal, JUCO and prep schools are going to play an even more important role in filling out rosters for the next couple of years.

This!

Highly likely there will be more late evaluations and offers with how many kids didn’t get fair evals, development and exposure in 2020. By everyone, not just Miami. The last 18 months of recruiting, and the next 6 months is likely the most unique we will ever see because of all the Covid bull****.
that coupled with smaller classes due to the Covid 6 year eligibility rule effecting roster numbers and there could be some serious talent slipping through the cracks.

Prep schools going to get a big bump. VT will end up doing well with this.

Did your DB attend Paradise camp?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back