High School coach praises Steed's toughness

Advertisement
Not sure if most people would be walking with that injury, much less playing football.

Hope he gets a full recovery. Also make sure to get anything like that checked out earlier. Though hope this is the last time for anything like that with him.

just make sure he's patient and doesnt rush back. i want to see him at 100%. he's seems like a tough, driven kid.

Not going to rush it but I just want to put it out there that his ACL was not fully torn. Before the surgery he was stating that he couldn't fully extend his knee and that it would swell after tweaking it on several occasions. Now he has full extension and will start resistance training this month. The hardest part of his recovery will be rebuilding the muscles in and around his knee. The staff will not rush him back until he is 100% but I just want everyone to know that this wasn't a Nick Chubb or Willis Magahee type of injury.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think this year's LB class has the potential to be as good as last years.

Brad Jennings and Wayne Steed are severely underrated.

I think this year's LB class has the potential to be as good as last years.

Brad Jennings and Wayne Steed are severely underrated.

Steed and Jennings will be roommates this spring. I just realized at the OV that Jennings Sr. and I played high school ball against each other and we both came out in 97. It will be interesting to see those two kids develop on campus!!!

Not going to rush it but I just want to put it out there that his ACL was not fully torn. Before the surgery he was stating that he couldn't fully extend his knee and that it would swell after tweaking it on several occasions. Now he has full extension and will start resistance training this month. The hardest part of his recovery will be rebuilding the muscles in and around his knee. The staff will not rush him back until he is 100% but I just want everyone to know that this wasn't a Nick Chubb or Willis Magahee type of injury.

Great to hear. As I have said in previous posts regarding your son I thnk hes a natural at LB. I can't wait for him to come through the smoke and hit the field as a Cane. I have no doubt he will come ack better/stronger than ever. He has a very bright future ahead of him. Congrats and nice work!

Go Canes!

Advertisement
When I was a young kid you think these kids always come back after 6-8 months. After tearing my left in April 2015 and my right this past July I know what it takes and how long the recovery is. I love this kid but I hope he gets redshirted. I can't say enough how long it takes for you to physically and mentally recover. Look at Owens, you can tell he favors his knee not because he's hurt but because he doesn't trust it. I know this cause he wouldn't be cleared to play if he was still hurting. I played college sports so it's not like I sit around a computer all day. Wish this kid the best.

For the star hoes on here - steed is also ranked as a 4*. Love this dudes film. Been high on steed for a long time, can't wait to see him develop. Steed shows up on tape and will contribute in a big way during his time at UM.

When I was a young kid you think these kids always come back after 6-8 months. After tearing my left in April 2015 and my right this past July I know what it takes and how long the recovery is. I love this kid but I hope he gets redshirted. I can't say enough how long it takes for you to physically and mentally recover. Look at Owens, you can tell he favors his knee not because he's hurt but because he doesn't trust it. I know this cause he wouldn't be cleared to play if he was still hurting. I played college sports so it's not like I sit around a computer all day. Wish this kid the best.

I agree with the mental aspect of your statement. Just last week I asked him why is he still limping and he said he didn't know. I said just try to walk normal without favoring the knee and he did so with no problem. He laughed and said he couldn't believe that he was limping before trying to walk normal.

Advertisement
I love Steed as a prospect. It's a crime he is only a 3 star.

Kid looks great on tape and is off the charts for a LB physically.

Waynmon Steed 6'0" 221 NIKE CAMP

40-Yard Dash 4.73
20-Yard Shuttle 4.33
Vertical Jump 30.6
Power Throw 40.0

SPARQ Rating 102.36

Football Recruiting - Waynmon Steed - Player Profiles - ESPN
Those are the numbers of pretty much every excellent LB who's an NFL prospect. Really impressive. Can totally afford and benefit from a redshirt. But, really good fit in Diaz's scheme of demolishing a gap.

If Steed is ready to play full steam by October, I don't think he gets that redshirt.

He's one of my favorite recruits in this class and severely underrated. Dude played most of his senior year on a torn ACL! And still looked like a stud! Skill, strength, and savage.

What a great complement Steed will be to our young and studly LB corps. I'm so impressed by our front seven, and with the exception of Corn, we should be able to replace the guys in the secondary without significant drop off.

Advertisement
Tougher than a convenience store steak. Thanks for sharing, Wayne, and keep us updated. The mental part of the recovery might be tougher than the physical. Glad to hear it wasn't a badly shredded knee.

Steed was one of my favorite prospects. Sucks about the injury but in no way would I rush back. It takes close a year and a half minimum to be fully back. I'd just use the rs year for that.

Advertisement
Back