Hickson speaks on RB's, talks progression from Knighton, Chaney

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Miami Hurricanes RB coach Eric Hickson comes into the 2020 season with one established running back at the college level in junior Cam’Ron Harris. However, Hickson is well-aware that he’s going to need to rely on multiple running backs to produce for UM's offense this year. With two standout freshmen that have performed well in both fall scrimmages thus far in Jaylan Knighton and Don Chaney, Hickson hopes to continue to see progression from the pair.

“Both those guys are talented," Hickson said of Knighton and Chaney. "The running back room is talented. Both the young guys have to continue to be great at the small things. It’s not about who is in front, who is in back. My whole deal is we all have to learn what is going on, get on the same page, work hard.

“We’re just in the process of making sure everyone is on the same page. Once that process gets closer to the season, we’ll make decisions on that. Right now, we’re making sure everyone is doing the right thing. In this day and age, it’s not a featured back anymore. You need three or four backs that can really get it done. That’s where we’re at right now.”

Harris goes into the year as the most experienced and presumed featured back after splitting carries with DeeJay Dallas in 2019.

“Cam has matured a lot from last year to this year," Hickson said. "He’s really taking his craft seriously as far as getting his body prepared, mind right, taking everything slow and having a great understanding offensive-wise. He’s working on his craft, putting more time in, and getting the results he probably wants.”

The 4th running back on the roster is redshirt junior Robert Burns, who has dealt with injury issues throughout his career at Miami and is currently participating in practice on a limited basis as he works to get fully healthy.

“Robert is working, I’m not sure of his status in full right now, but I think he’ll be ready to rock and roll here soon,” Hickson said. “He’s still a work in progress.”

Chaney missed the spring due to injury, but Hickson says he’s returned this fall fully healthy and has made a strong adjustment to the spread offense coming from playing in a Wing-T offense in high school.

“The transition was pretty smooth - he’s coming to a spread offense, tempo offense where we’re moving pretty fast,” Hickson said. “He’s talented, blessed, and that makes the transition pretty easy. He’s very smart, picks up on things easy. With him, it’s all about being consistently great on the small things.”

A big part of Miami’s rushing offense this season is expected to come from the QB, as D’Eriq King is known for making plays with his legs.

“It helps the offense, period,” Hickson said. “A running quarterback is another threat for the defense (to account for), puts them in a situation where they can’t pin their ears back.”

Miami’s first matchup of the season is in two weeks vs. UAB, and although the Blazers have no tape of the exact offense UM will run under Rhett Lashlee, Hickson does not anticipate having an advantage due to that aspect.

“I’m not sure if it gives us an advantage, but they’ll prepare just like we prepare,” Hickson said. “We look at (their) games loaded in the system, the last season. No one had a spring game, spring season. We look at last year’s film, different cut-ups of what they’ve been doing, and make a game plan out of that.”

Advertisement
“We’re just in the process of making sure everyone is on the same page. Once that process gets closer to the season, we’ll make decisions on that. Right now, we’re making sure everyone is doing the right thing. In this day and age, it’s not a featured back anymore. You need three or four backs that can really get it done. That’s where we’re at right now.”

Harris goes into the year as the most experienced and presumed featured back after splitting carries with DeeJay Dallas in 2019."

This made me chuckle.... carry on.

Harris goes into the year as the most experienced and presumed featured back after splitting carries with DeeJay Dallas in 2019."

This made me chuckle.... carry on.

Funny indeed. Amazing how many people are sleeping on Harris. Saw a Rooster interview the other day where he said Harris is the best leader he's ever seen.

Advertisement
I want some people on this site to watch Devin Hesters high school highlights then watch Jaylan Knightons and tell me why I’m wrong to think rooster is the second coming.

They look so similar in Highschool in terms of run style and speed on tape to me.

Advertisement
Back