Hey

pcitycane

Retired staff
Premium
I must admit I don't do way too much reading on the boards when it comes to back and forth banter on which players are good and who should be doing what and the etc.. I do love gator tears and I check that daily. If you haven't, wtf is wrong with you? Anyway, since I never chime in I felt it deemed acceptable I started my own thread on my thoughts on a mixture of last season and the upcoming one. I am surely nobody special and not an xs and os guru by any means but I have watched a lot of football in my life as you have as well, and I have played the game but that doesn't mean my opinion is any more credible than anyone else's.

That being said, I don't watch TV and there isn't much running around to do raising this 6 month old baby cane we got growing up around here. I have been bored and dying for some football. I kindve unintentionally watched every game back on YouTube over the last week or so and I really want to share my thoughts on the year. Like I said, I don't read on here much so I'm not incredibly in on what's been discussed so if I beat a dead horse or 2 I apologize in advance.

I'll start with the coaching. It's obviously far and away light years ahead of what we are used to. Unless you are 35 plus years old you haven't seen Miami with a real coaching staff until now. Diaz is awesome and I love that he is a risk taker. Some say he blitzes too much but you live by the sword, you know? Imo, our positional coaching could be better and that's from top to bottom. I love rumph, and banda seems like a great guy but neither strike me as elite position coaches. I am intrigued by the new dl coach but I'm so ****ed up from the previous regimes that I'm wait and see on everyone. I don't know much about Thomas brown as a coach but I do know when I think OC, that's not a name that's going to be on my list. I hope it doesn't seem like I am knocking the guy because I'm not. As a rb coach I love it. Our rbs have exceeded my expectations personally and I hope Lingard is what he could potentially be. Our ol was downright bad last year but I'm not sure if that has to do with Searles or not. We seem to be under talented at that position as compared to elite teams. On a more positive note, we have the best wr coach in the country, flat out.

Richt. I love Richt as a head coach. I think he is a top tier recruiter and he knows the game. We have more talent and speed on this roster than we have had in over a decade and that's thanks to him in large part. Richt as a play caller, I see alot of folks don't like him. I think he doesn't do anything ground breaking, but he designs plays in a way that's smart, like himself. On alot of the plays that were miscued it was due to human error and not because of the play call. Richt needs an accurate qb. I'm not so sure why he got away from the behind center type formations that he was famous for at Uga. Im not sure how it would work if we had a big time oc in here under Richt, but I think for this year I'm comfortable with it.

I won't ramble on too long, I promise.

Rosier scares me to death. He had some long tds that should have been picks. Even his completions are close calls. Kid had a shamrock up his *** the first half of the season. I do think getting banged up had alot to do with his inaccuracy down the stretch, combined with losing Walton and having a Richards that was 50 percent at best. That said, he isn't the answer and we need Jarren or Nkosi to become an elite threat on offense. Go back and watch the games. Malik throws to the defense so often it makes you wonder how he's a qb.

We have elite rbs and I would love it if Dallas breaks out but Homer is going to make it hard on Lingard and him to get time.

Richards is the best wr in the country. If he's healthy, Noone can defend him. Our freshmen at this position is sick. We are so deep here.

Ol has more talent this year than last.

Our defense will be much of the same as it was last year and maybe better. Jackson and Garvin are nightmares and silvera is bound to make an impact.

We are going to have to score to win games regardless. We could beat every team on the schedule, but we could also lose 4 games.

I'm uneasy.

I'm excited.

I'm hopeful.

Scared.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I That said, he isn't the answer and we need Jarren or Nkosi to become an elite threat on offense. Go back and watch the games. Malik throws to the defense so often it makes you wonder how he's a qb... Scared.

I fast forwarded the quote to "Scared" because that's the reality if after Spring, you think Rosier is washed up and Jarren or Nkosi are the answers (at this satge) and will step in and be "elite threats". If only it were that easy...

I do appreciate the honesty in your preface, but think you would have been better off just letting us know, you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night

Advertisement
Advertisement
I must admit I don't do way too much reading on the boards when it comes to back and forth banter on which players are good and who should be doing what and the etc.. I do love gator tears and I check that daily. If you haven't, wtf is wrong with you? Anyway, since I never chime in I felt it deemed acceptable I started my own thread on my thoughts on a mixture of last season and the upcoming one. I am surely nobody special and not an xs and os guru by any means but I have watched a lot of football in my life as you have as well, and I have played the game but that doesn't mean my opinion is any more credible than anyone else's.

That being said, I don't watch TV and there isn't much running around to do raising this 6 month old baby cane we got growing up around here. I have been bored and dying for some football. I kindve unintentionally watched every game back on YouTube over the last week or so and I really want to share my thoughts on the year. Like I said, I don't read on here much so I'm not incredibly in on what's been discussed so if I beat a dead horse or 2 I apologize in advance.

I'll start with the coaching. It's obviously far and away light years ahead of what we are used to. Unless you are 35 plus years old you haven't seen Miami with a real coaching staff until now. Diaz is awesome and I love that he is a risk taker. Some say he blitzes too much but you live by the sword, you know? Imo, our positional coaching could be better and that's from top to bottom. I love rumph, and banda seems like a great guy but neither strike me as elite position coaches. I am intrigued by the new dl coach but I'm so ****ed up from the previous regimes that I'm wait and see on everyone. I don't know much about Thomas brown as a coach but I do know when I think OC, that's not a name that's going to be on my list. I hope it doesn't seem like I am knocking the guy because I'm not. As a rb coach I love it. Our rbs have exceeded my expectations personally and I hope Lingard is what he could potentially be. Our ol was downright bad last year but I'm not sure if that has to do with Searles or not. We seem to be under talented at that position as compared to elite teams. On a more positive note, we have the best wr coach in the country, flat out.

Richt. I love Richt as a head coach. I think he is a top tier recruiter and he knows the game. We have more talent and speed on this roster than we have had in over a decade and that's thanks to him in large part. Richt as a play caller, I see alot of folks don't like him. I think he doesn't do anything ground breaking, but he designs plays in a way that's smart, like himself. On alot of the plays that were miscued it was due to human error and not because of the play call. Richt needs an accurate qb. I'm not so sure why he got away from the behind center type formations that he was famous for at Uga. Im not sure how it would work if we had a big time oc in here under Richt, but I think for this year I'm comfortable with it.

I won't ramble on too long, I promise.

Rosier scares me to death. He had some long tds that should have been picks. Even his completions are close calls. Kid had a shamrock up his *** the first half of the season. I do think getting banged up had alot to do with his inaccuracy down the stretch, combined with losing Walton and having a Richards that was 50 percent at best. That said, he isn't the answer and we need Jarren or Nkosi to become an elite threat on offense. Go back and watch the games. Malik throws to the defense so often it makes you wonder how he's a qb.

We have elite rbs and I would love it if Dallas breaks out but Homer is going to make it hard on Lingard and him to get time.

Richards is the best wr in the country. If he's healthy, Noone can defend him. Our freshmen at this position is sick. We are so deep here.

Ol has more talent this year than last.

Our defense will be much of the same as it was last year and maybe better. Jackson and Garvin are nightmares and silvera is bound to make an impact.

We are going to have to score to win games regardless. We could beat every team on the schedule, but we could also lose 4 games.

I'm uneasy.

I'm excited.

I'm hopeful.

Scared.
Salute. The only thing I strongly disagree on is that I think Rumph is a helluva position coach. Everything else is fair game. I respect your opinion. Good first post.

Cliff notes please ...
- We have a decent coaching staff, some proven, some not (yet)
- We have better talent on the team, could win it all this season, could lose 4
- Rosier scares the chit out of OP (And half of Canes nation), we need a youngin QB to become elite
- Coach Donk Rider is the GOAT at his position (Or the best currently)
- OL is the weak link, again, but talent is improving
- Once again with the contemplation of "To have an OC, or to not have an OC outside of CMR"
- And lastly, you are lazy

Advertisement
Completely agree with OPs assessments of CMR as a playcaller & Malik.

I'm surprised we haven't seen the CiS Malik police (@Loose Cannon, @Pickle Richt) chime in with "Malik basher" accusations.

"That said, he isn't the answer and we need Jarren or Nkosi to become an elite threat on offense.

I partly disagree with his assessment of Rosier, but not entirely. I'm more concerned with his complete omission of Cade Weldon. I gave him a pass on the shamrock bit because he admitted he was smashed when he wrote it. However, see the emboldened part? I have literally said about 500 times that as soon as someone proves that they're the better option at QB, I'm all for it.

Where I draw conflict is with porsters who believe any or all of the following:

1. One of the backups has already proven to be better and Richt hasn't/isn't going to announce it because Rosier is a Senior/afraid someone might transfer. This is just stupid. If I had a kid like Perry or Williams who was just obviously better, I'd be much more concerned that they might transfer due to the coach's obvious favoritism.

2. Rosier has hit his ceiling, and the freshmen have much more untapped potential. Better to just go ahead and bench Rosier in order to get a head start grooming a new guy...even if it means losing a game or two that Rosier would have won.

3. We aren't beating Clemson anyway. 2019 is our year, and Rosier is gonna be gone then. Better to get a new guy experience in 2018 so he isn't green next season.

I have heard each of these stupid ideas paraded out as rational arguments by delusional fanboys.

I'm uneasy.

I'm excited.

I'm hopeful.

Scared.

Preach!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back