He's Back: Williams discusses being named starter for FSU

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After coming off the bench and leading the Canes to a comeback victory over Pitt last week, Jarren Williams was named the starting quarterback by head coach Manny Diaz today for the rivalry road match-up vs. FSU on Saturday.

"My head is clear, I’m feeling good," Williams said. "I feel like we had a good week of preparation, I know the guys have that feeling that this is a different week. The focus and intensity is different."

This will be Williams’ first start after throwing 3 interceptions vs. Virginia Tech and subsequently taking a back seat to N’Kosi Perry for the past 3 games. However, Williams says he’s more than ready to be QB1 again and that playing in the Miami-FSU rivalry has been on his mind for a while now.

“I think about it all the time,” Williams said of going against the Noles. “It’s a business trip. I’m fired up. It’s going to be a physical battle. I feel that everyone knows we’re going against a very talented team.”

Although Williams was named the starting QB today, Diaz alluded to Williams being outworked off the field by Perry the past few weeks, which led to the original change in the first place. What has Williams learned about himself this season?

“I’m far from perfect,” Williams said. “I’ve had some things I can learn from - getting the ball out of my hands, being able to use my feet a little more to help the offense move the ball down the field.”

Williams was absent from practice last Wednesday, and not long after, there was a players-only meeting on Thursday to express some of the discord going on in the locker room after Miami’s then 3-4 start.

"When it comes from the heart, you really feel that," Williams said. "I feel like it brought us all closer."

In the three games where he wasn’t the starter, Williams said he never lost faith that he would eventually regain the job.

“I wasn’t concerned, I have high expectations for myself,” Williams said. “No matter how I’m feeling, I don’t throw three interceptions. That’s not something I’ve ever done… I had to just learn from it, see where I went wrong… Just have to be smarter with the ball.”

Former Hurricanes starting QB’s Gino Torretta and Malik Rosier have privately shown support for Williams over the last few weeks and both have taken the time to talk to the young gunslinger.

“They just tell me stay positive, keep going, keep grinding,” Williams said.

Advertisement
He can seize the job for good with good play and a win at Doak. If he plays poorly we are back to square one at the QB position. I need to see some fire, some dog in this kid. I need to see him become a leader the rest of the offense wants to play for. Someone they want to follow. Right now, we don't have any leadership on offense.

I wonder what is going on in the coaches head. Questions about Williams' mental fortitude (Wednesday) still about, Perry's luster wearing off and now the reintroduction of Tate to the QB room.

What do they really feel is going on in that room...

I wonder what is going on in the coaches head. Questions about Williams' mental fortitude (Wednesday) still about, Perry's luster wearing off and now the reintroduction of Tate to the QB room.

What do they really feel is going on in that room...

Manny has no clue what he is doing. I think he has a dartboard with ideas on it and just throws darts at it.

Advertisement
He can seize the job for good with good play and a win at Doak. If he plays poorly we are back to square one at the QB position. I need to see some fire, some dog in this kid. I need to see him become a leader the rest of the offense wants to play for. Someone they want to follow. Right now, we don't have any leadership on offense.
Perhaps for the rest of this season. However, there will be an open competition in the Spring.

Oline holds up he should be fine.

(And if wishes were fishes...)

You gotta believe Leavitt is going to pick on Zion the whole game, especially with delayed blitzes.

I think Zion has come a bit from his UF debut, but he's gonna have a **** of a fight on his hands.

Advertisement
Oline holds up he should be fine.

(And if wishes were fishes...)

You gotta believe Leavitt is going to pick on Zion the whole game, especially with delayed blitzes.

Like @Lance Roffers has said and I agree with 100%, Jarren has the tendency to work inside out. He works the middle of the field much better and more predominantly than Kosi. I think this matchup sets up better for that type of attack. FSU is pretty pedestrian everywhere on their defense, but the linebackers and safeties are not good cover guys at all. The middle of the field has kicked their *** all year. I expect the same type of gameplan we saw against UNC when Enos clearly made it a priority to get the ball out quick and work the short to intermediate passing game.

Jordan and Mallory should be worked extensively as well as whoever is manning the slot. I expect most of this game played between the numbers for Miami in the passing game.

I might be over thinking this but from what it seems like, coach diaz benched jw15 a game for each interception, in a year where the battle of the qb starting position is still going on, that's a good look. But perry's stats are still more impressive, perry went up against 3 conference opponents and has basically walked jw15 down stat wise. In the meantime, jw15 has BETHUNE COOKMAN and Central Michigan stats under his belt.

Fsu might send jw15 back to the bench, this is the game where alot of yall will really find out what jw15 actually has or hasnt!

Breaka breaka: perry please be advised to be on standby!

Agreed here....

This is JW's most important chance to show if he has "the IT factor".... that special ability to rise to occasion and help win a big rivalry game.

It's also on every single OL, Seconday, Kicker, WR, TE, and WR to prove they help win the game and also NOT harm the team with missed opportunities and penalties.

THE FUTURE OF THIS TEAM RIDES ON THE FSU GAME....

Williams said. “I’ve had some things I can learn from - getting the ball out of my hands, being able to use my feet a little more to help the offense move the ball down the field.”

This is all I heard .... lol Alright i'm hype now lets gooooo! Lets get this Wwwwww!

Go Canes!

Advertisement
I'm going to say it again, Between the pair, I don't think it matters who starts, both are better, a little sharper, a little more animated, when they come in off the bench.

Its odd, but they seem to both get overwhelmed by the pressure of starting, maybe playing too tight not wanting to make mistakes (fearing Enos who obviously got that message to JW based on the way he holds the ball).

But they sure both seem to handle the pressure better coming in to bail the O out. Both had stretches as a gunslinger.

Williams said. “I’ve had some things I can learn from - getting the ball out of my hands, being able to use my feet a little more to help the offense move the ball down the field.”

This is all I heard .... lol Alright i'm hype now lets gooooo! Lets get this Wwwwww!

Go Canes!

Sounds good but lets see what happens when the bullets start flying.

Advertisement
Obviously small sample size but... that run was integral in Miami pulling out that victory

You can tell he was about to panic but he snapped out of it and made a play with his feet... I think it was a fluke but we’ll see. Don’t see him doing that against FSU but for Miami’s sake let’s pray 🙏

I'm going to say it again, Between the pair, I don't think it matters who starts, both are better, a little sharper, a little more animated, when they come in off the bench.

Its odd, but they seem to both get overwhelmed by the pressure of starting, maybe playing too tight not wanting to make mistakes (fearing Enos who obviously got that message to JW based on the way he holds the ball).

But they sure both seem to handle the pressure better coming in to bail the O out. Both had stretches as a gunslinger.

You may have a point bro.... Sort of like Dragic for the heat coming off the bench He's almost avg a double double. lol

In the three games where he wasn’t the starter, Williams said he never lost faith that he would eventually regain the job.

“I wasn’t concerned, I have high expectations for myself,” Williams said.

That's a load of bull****. Why the **** id you miss practice for then? I really want to be wrong about this kid but thats twice he quit on us.

Advertisement
Back