Herenton gets scholarship

Advertisement
Not sure what deficiencies Coach L sees in Willie's game. For my druthers, a rested eager Willie beats a tired Sam or Mack on the court.

Now that he's on scholarship, give him a chance to pull his weight. If that's not the plan, why award him the scholly?

No disrespect but they should have given him a scholarship his senior year. That scholarship could have been better used next year on a grad transfer or a freshman who would raise the talent level of the team. This makes no sense especially for an underused reserve player who is not playing.
So the Canes have two scholarships left unless Dominic Proctor takes one of the last two.
C'mon Coach L.

Advertisement
Now that he's on scholarship, give him a chance to pull his weight. If that's not the plan, why award him the scholly?

Because you don't have to renew it over the offseason. Maybe he was having problems in regards to funding, and L needs him to stay in school. They are one year renewable scholarships, so this isn't permanent.

No disrespect but they should have given him a scholarship his senior year. That scholarship could have been better used next year on a grad transfer or a freshman who would raise the talent level of the team. This makes no sense especially for an underused reserve player who is not playing.
So the Canes have two scholarships left unless Dominic Proctor takes one of the last two.
C'mon Coach L.
Our recruiting is such a disaster right now that I doubt we will be able to fill this spot anyway

Because you don't have to renew it over the offseason. Maybe he was having problems in regards to funding, and L needs him to stay in school. They are one year renewable scholarships, so this isn't permanent.
Not Willie. His family is very well off.

Advertisement
C'mon Coach L.

Scholarships are year to year, so theoretically they can pull it if need be.

And, won't that go down well with the player and likely his teammates. Better not to gven him the scholly to begin with if he doesnt play at all. Why not give Proctor one too, under the same thinking that it can always be pulled?

Our recruiting is such a disaster right now that I doubt we will be able to fill this spot anyway

I would disagree. The only disaster is the approach you take to the situation. Before giving Herenton the scholarship, Miami had 3 scholarships left for next season. Currently, they are recruiting two more freshman for the 2019 recruiting class (Cole Anthony and Harlan Beverly). Best case scenario, both commit. The worse case scenario is that neither commit. If that happens, the coaching staff needs to hit the grad transfer portal to fill the last two scholarships. That is short term fix to provide depth to the team. Then they can get back on the recruiting trail again in 2020 with four or five scholarships and hopefully another strong recruiting class.

That is correct and I would not have a problem with it if this occurred at the beginning of the season and Willie was in his last year. Pulling the scholarship is bad PR but it does happen.

Advertisement
https://247sports.com/college/miami...-Willie-Herenton-earns-scholarship-128268109/

A good kid from a nice family with an inspiring story. There are 347 Division 1 basketball teams with 13 scholarships each totaling 4511 Division 1 scholarship basketball players each year. When a kid averages 17 points per game in high school and no one offers you a scholarship, it means that you are a Division 2 basketball player. There is no harm in that as Division 2 schools also offer scholarships.
It is interesting that both his parents went to Harvard and Harvard did not give him an academic package or athletic scholarship.
I am not trying to be rude.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back