Herb Waters 40 time?

We at least know he's faster than Jason Gathers,Webster would have caught up to Gathers before he hit the endzone.

Advertisement
Like I said, I clocked him at 4.7 iirc. He definitely didn't crack 4.5. This was in 2010 though.

Advertisement
ya he torched usf and they aint no big ten squad, they got some sfla speed, id say he's pretty fast

yall do know that play was a busted coverage right? Cmon mane dude aint fast I seen it with my own eyes..Im just want to prepare myself if hes gonna be a possession guy with a little agility or a deep threat guy. ANd that 4.6 answered my question..

Advertisement
'Game speed' never made sense to me. Yes, the 40 time doesn't make someone a good or bad football player, but it is a good indication of how fast they are. It's rather stupid to treat 'game speed' and 'speed' as different quantities. If someone is fast, they have the capability of playing football fast as well. If they're slow, they're going to be slower than other guys on the field. They may do other things better to mitigate their lack of speed, but they're still slower.

"A player's speed in the 40 doesn't really tell you how fast he is in a game....

The key thing to remember is that functionality is the most important evaluation of a player's ability to perform. No matter how fast he runs, how high he jumps or how well he scores on a test, his value can only be related to how functional he is on the field. And that is often something that cannot be precisely measured anyplace except on the practice field or, in some cases, in a game situation....

But the problem with the 40 is the game of football requires functional speed, not pure track speed. So functional speed is related to playing the game and responses to another moving object. Jerry Rice's functional speed is probably the very best in the history of football. But if you timed him in the 40, he would be over 4.5."

-----Bill Walsh

Exactly @ BreakingBryan. Was going to post the same thing. The guy scores a TD, and now we have a bunch of dudes trying to explain his speed.

He isn't fast, but he was fast enough on that play. Call it for it was...a nice play. There will be another time where he gets caught, and Tano's hand-held 4.7 will get referenced about 4719 times. If someone is trying to say that play was demonstrative of a great shuttle, well then I'm going to say they're full of ****.

Show me slow 40 guys with a better shuttle time than the guys with a significantly better 40 time. It's rare and is probably better explained by flawed 40 times than some sort of dynamic physics explanation or explanation IMO of fast twitch shuttle over 40 times for the WR position.

Advertisement
I love how if a player runs a 4.6 he automatically gets compared to Reggie Wayne. Last I recall, Reggie Wayne has caught plenty of long balls in the NFL. The difference between 4.4 and 4.6 over 40 yards is less than a foot

I love how if a player runs a 4.6 he automatically gets compared to Reggie Wayne. Last I recall, Reggie Wayne has caught plenty of long balls in the NFL. The difference between 4.4 and 4.6 over 40 yards is less than a foot
That's not true. And, if it were there would be no need to ever time guys in the 40.

That's not true. And, if it were there would be no need to ever time guys in the 40.

Correct. The difference would be about 5.2 feet.

Advertisement
Reggie Wayne ran a 4.4 when he was at Miami. He was just lined up across Santana Moss who ran a 4.30. I think a better comparison speed wise would be Kevin Beard.

Correct. The difference would be about 5.2 feet.

Furthermore, they once did a video analysis on one of the networks showing how that subtle difference is often the difference between a home run play versus just an average play. In a game often defined by big plays, it can be a big deal.

And what Walsh was referring to is pretty simple- football players versus guys who are not. Rice was a tremendous route-runner with amazing hands who put himself in favorable positions to make big plays.

If you know how to beat a guy 1v1 you don't need out of this world speed. He is fast enough. I think his 40 at the UA event was a 4.7mid laser.

Advertisement
Back