Herald looks ahead to 2013

Glad Fisch emphasized Morris' footwork. I've been clamoring about it for a bit. He overstrides. When he's balanced in his stance, he's basically a different QB.

The DEnd position is terrifying.

Can't be worse than it was this season, right?

If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that things can always be worse. Somehow, we got through this ridiculous season without an extended injury. There was a scary lack of depth there this season and it doesn't exactly get much better next season.

Advertisement
Morris 4 for 22 inside the 10.. that's got to change

Which is why I'll never understand the philosophy inside the 10. Would've liked to seen more run... but hard to complain about offense.

I think you'll see more run inside the 10 next year. Fisch is still a very young OC. He did well this year, but he's smart enough to figure out his shortcomings and fix what he did wrong, IMO.

5X, I agree they should be better, but I'm not sold on that translating into better results. The defense almost can't be worse, but they are not even close to being decent, let alone good. I don't assume another historically bad year from the rest of the ACC, and you can't count on the offense scoring 45 a game. We need s lit more talent, do I'm thinking we are at least two years away from where we want to be.

i disagree. i think taking freshmen (redshirt and true) and sophomores (redshirt and true) and expecting big improvements in maturity, strength, speed, size, knowledge of the system, etc should translate in to better results. how can our offense not improve? how can another year for all these guys not translate into improvement? it's not like most of them aren't good athletes or fb players. they are just green and young.

Advertisement
We have a real issue with our Dline. We need Porter to come back and stay healthy. We need real depth there and not just bodies so that we can rotate in more often. We have nothing at DE. We have a run-stopper and a guy who brings little. Shayon Green didn't have 1 sack. McCord at 235 is better but really needs to be at 260-270. That won't happen for another 2 years. We need some JUCO beasts. Even good HS guys on the DLine rarely make an impact for about 2 years.

Yep, we need an influx of talent @ DE. Any Mcdougle's or A. Williams' out there? Hopefully some of the young guys emerge as legit players.

i disagree. i think taking freshmen (redshirt and true) and sophomores (redshirt and true) and expecting big improvements in maturity, strength, speed, size, knowledge of the system, etc should translate in to better results. how can our offense not improve? how can another year for all these guys not translate into improvement? it's not like most of them aren't good athletes or fb players. they are just green and young.
Still no depth, still too many JAG's IMO. FSU played 8 guys on the DL, there was very little drop off from one group to the next, just like it was for us 10 years ago. I don't see us being even close ot that level for at least another year. Yes, the front line starters will be very good (assuming Gaines get bumped, Eddie doesn't get kicked off the team, and Kacy Rogers/Highsmigh Jr. aren't starting). The backups are still the same, though, and 4 guys who started or played alot yesterday frankly wouldn't play for a good defsense. Additionally, history tells us not all of these young guys will get better. Some will improve, some just reached their celing a lot faster than the rest.
The offense should be better, but aren't we measuring that in terms of consistency? We know they can handle the bad defenses, we need to see it against the good teams, and to do that we need another RB. Duke can't handle the load by himself, and Clements/Crawford appear to be serviceable, but they are not stars. We need the next FrankGore to back up Duke, just like the real Gore backing up Portis back when we were relevant nationally.

We have a real issue with our Dline. We need Porter to come back and stay healthy. We need real depth there and not just bodies so that we can rotate in more often. We have nothing at DE. We have a run-stopper and a guy who brings little. Shayon Green didn't have 1 sack. McCord at 235 is better but really needs to be at 260-270. That won't happen for another 2 years. We need some JUCO beasts. Even good HS guys on the DLine rarely make an impact for about 2 years.

Agree that McCord needs to get bigger, but dude was still our best Pass rusher at 218. I would even say Terry has a knack for getting to the passer at what, 215. We desperately need a complimentary pass rusher opposite Chick. I thought the DL was markedly better with Porter in the line-up, but we still didn't get nearly enough push on passing downs. A kid like Matthew Thomas could immediately upgrade our edge rush, but again we are putting a ton of pressure on the shoulders of a true freshman. I would like to see Kirby more blitzing off the edge. And am I the only one that would like to wish Buchanon for his time and have him move on, we need the ship for a youngster.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back