Help with a penalty call on Hall

AHURT12

Redshirt Freshman
Gurvan blasted the FSU qb in the 4th quarter. Targeting was being looked at but after reviewing the play no targeting foul but we got a 15 yard penalty. If there was no late hit or targetting what was the penalty?

Advertisement
Gurvan blasted the FSU qb in the 4th quarter. Targeting was being looked at but after reviewing the play no targeting foul but we got a 15 yard penalty. If there was no late hit or targetting what was the penalty?

he got called for roughing and targeting on the same play, but the targeting call was overturned by replay. would have been a 30 yard penalty (15 for roughing, 15 for targeting) + ejection if it went the other way. <- ignore that last part. it's incorrect since roughing is a live ball foul.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think the call was for vaginal penetration. Hornibrook looks up after getting throttled and the red had no choice but to throw the flag on a violent hit. I’m glad that they did not pursue the targeting call as it would have been the worst case of disqualifying a UM player for playing tough in the sandbox. But that is our MO from old times and it will take generations of refs to get this BS to stop.

he got called for roughing and targeting on the same play, but the targeting call was overturned by replay. would have been a 30 yard penalty (15 for roughing, 15 for targeting) + ejection if it went the other way.
LOL, only 15 regardless. The 'penalties' happened at the same time.
No if he had targeting and then unnecessary roughness after the play, both could be enforced

Advertisement
Once they throw the flag the penalty will stand. They review for targeting to determine if an ejection will occur. But the penalty will stand regardless. At least that is the way I understand the rule to be.

Once they throw the flag the penalty will stand. They review for targeting to determine if an ejection will occur. But the penalty will stand regardless. At least that is the way I understand the rule to be.

No, slight difference. If they throw a flag and call targeting, that is automatically reviewed. If they determine it was targeting, 15 yard penalty and player is ejected. If they determine no targeting, no penalty, no ejection.

What happened here was they threw a flag and called unnecessary roughness (would have been synonymous to pushing a player once he is out of bounds). The booth then said lets review for targeting and buzzed down. It was reviewed, no targeting, but at that point they cannot pick-up the flag for unnecessary roughness as that is not subject to review.

The booth can initiate a targeting review at any time, even if no flag was ever thrown, then they review and make a determination.

Advertisement
They never called targeting on the field, it was roughing the passer(late but that was incredibly weak). The booth initiated a review for targeting afterwards, but had it stood, they could only enforce one penalty on the play, which would have been targeting.

Advertisement
Depends on if the flag was for targeting to begin with.
If it was and then it's reviewed and overturned....than no penalty at all. They don't do that often...usually they enforce something. It's like the ridiculous 'too fast for conditions' ticket you get in an accident that's clearly not your fault. But they gig your *** anyway

Me too. I am of the understanding that, when they throw a flag for targeting, it's a 15 yard penalty no matter what, then they review the play to see if the player should be kicked out of the game. Sometimes, they determine there was no targeting, so the player doesn't get ejected, but the penalty is not reviewed and always stands. Even if it's obvious on replay that the guy wasn't even tackled and was just knocked down by the wind, doesn't matter, 15 yards and automatic first down still stands.

Than again, that could have changed last offseason, but that's still my understanding for how the rule works. When they throw a flag on us, we're always so relieved if the guy doesn't get tossed, that we don't even care about the penalty anymore, even if it was a total shine job.

Garbage roughing the passer call at that, absolutely ******* horrendous, "protect Tom Brady as we gargle his balls"-esque embarrassing overreaction by the ref that threw that **** flag

Advertisement
Back