Help me understand why only 2 lb's

Committed. Did we get shunned by others we really wanted. Admittedly I did not follow the process like in past years.

Advertisement
Numbers plus McCloud coming back.

hopefully we take a minimum of 3 this cycle. Think we have 2 already committed.

Committed. Did we get shunned by others we really wanted. Admittedly I did not follow the process like in past years.
Maybe they our confident on Joyner, Steed, and Jennings returning and being a significant part of the rotation.I can already tell you Brooks and Huff will be beasting back there in 2020 they definitely add more speed to the position and McCloud will be solid, also dont forget the Striker position add to the lbs.

Advertisement
We have 3 - Metayer, Johnson & Hammett. All are listed as LB/DE on different sites.

This staff seems to only recruit players they think can help here. Past staffs would sign a guy or two at the last minute to just fill a spot.

Both ways can work, but there's higher risk by leaving spots open when you have spots you can fill. Injury bug pops up, you've got real problems and you're then playing walkons. Then again, this route should help by having spots available with a favorable roster to recruits looking at depth charts. Nothing wrong with looking at depth charts (unless you're a dumb kook on a message board), all recruits do.

You take a guy to just fill a spot, he may develop down the road. Not many recruits are patient, so if they can't contribute, they'll do the dirty work for you and move on.

We missed on our top couple of guys and they saved a spot or two for next year rather than take a recruit they were on the fence about. Simple as that.

Advertisement
Crossing my fingers that Joyner, Brooks, Steed and Huff are all healthy. Along with McCloud,, we should be okay if so, as that's 5 guys for 2 spots. Plus Jennings, Cave and Flagg. If some are still recovering from injury, then we have a problem. No Ragone!

Thanks guys great response to my question. Obviously there is the same concerns by everyone. I like potentially what we have brooks is a stud and Joyner well thought of and Jennings ok. Perhaps we can get a transfer or two.

at least 1 safety will end up at striker...Washington or Harrell...So we basically have 3 committed.

Advertisement
four reasons:

1) decent (definitely serviceable) returning group as far as numbers and talent are concerned
2) not a great south florida year for LB's and the staff didn't want JAG's to take up space
3) it's a position that is somewhat deemphasized for numbers since the striker position is necessary (due to spread offenses)
4) next year looks like a better class, both in quality and quantity

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back