Helmet Visors/Shields

TheZacMamba

Recruit
I realized the other day when I was watching old UM/FSU highlights that none of our players wear the dark visor anymore, let alone any visor at all. Even on other teams I cant recall anyone wearing a dark visor. Did the NCAA rule these out or something? I remember when I played peewee we couldnt wear them for safety reasons, to see if someone was knocked out or not. I definitely miss this look from a lot of the 2000's players IE sean taylor, mcgahee, merriweather.

I know right now we are all hype about beating fsu, our ranking, and GT so this post isnt important but just curious.

Advertisement
I know they can't be dark like the old days, not sure if they're allowed at all really.
Allegedly they banned the dark one's because you couldn't see the players eyes if they were injured.

Ok, thanks yall. Figured thats what it was. That sucks *** cuz I definitely feel like we were the pioneer of that look.

Advertisement
Clear visors are allowed but they don't look nearly as good.

No, it's not a "Miami Rule." It actually started with high school in the mid-late 90s. I know because I was a coach then. The FHSAA adopted it because when a kid has suspected serious head/neck injury they can't remove their helmet right away and need to check their eyes. The NCAA adopted it just a year or 2 later, then the NFL, with the caveat that NFL players can still wear the dark ones if there's a medical reason for it.

Advertisement
Back