Height furthers relationship with Stroud during official

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Last weekend, 2020 Dublin (GA) 3-star DE Romello Height got to experience his second official visit of the process, and by his own admission, he had quite a time. In his first-ever trip to the Miami area, Height and his family made their way down to Coral Gables for a weekend hosted by Manny Diaz and the rest of the Miami staff.

“It was lit,” Height said of the UM visit. “Everything down there was nice. My family was with me. My dad loved it, he wanted me to commit, but I was chilling.”

On the trip, the 6-5 215 pound prospect got to know some current Hurricanes such as Nesta Silvera, Gilbert Frierson, DJ Ivey, and Dee Wiggins, and also got to spend a lot of time talking to head coach Manny Diaz, DC Blake Baker, and DL coach Todd Stroud about his fit in UM’s defense.

“They were saying I’d play like a Viper, like a rush end - it changed from linebacker,” Height said. “It’s like a D-End but I’ll stand up and drop in coverage at times.”

While Height was getting more familiar with the campus during the day, the Hurricanes were in the midst of hosting a 7-on-7 tournament and OL/DL drills for the local high schools. Although Height stopped in at the IPF for a bit, he didn’t get to see Stroud in action coaching up the D-Line drills, but felt he used his time at Miami to continue to develop his relationship with the UM D-Line coach.

“That’s my guy,” Height said of Stroud. “He seems like a good coach, he seems like he pushes players to the highest level. I like coach Stroud, I just got to go watch a game or a practice or something to see how he coaches.”

Part of the Hurricanes’ pitch to Height was the cosmetic upgrades the school and the program are currently going through.

“Well, they got the new dorms - if I was to early enroll, I’d be able to stay in the new dorms,” Height said. “They’re building new things in the weight room, they’re just doing a lot of construction.”

Ultimately, did Miami make a move up in his mind over the weekend?

“Oh yeah, for sure.”

As mentioned, UM was Height’s second OV, but his first came earlier that same week on a mid-week trip to Kentucky. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to point out the differences between Coral Gables and Lexington, and Height spent some time comparing and contrasting the two areas.

“I mean, there’s not much in Kentucky. It was kind of fun, it was decent,” Height said.” Miami, you’re in the city, it’s lit, everybody krunk, just energy down there. But Kentucky is a good school, I like them.”

With 3 more official visits on the table, Height says he anticipates taking them in the fall; as of yet, he does not know where he will take them to. As for when he’d be ready to make a commitment, Height is in no rush.

“I’m chilling right now, I’m trying to enjoy this process… I want to decide on my dad’s birthday, maybe - September 21st,” Height said. “If not on my dad’s birthday, it’s going to be on the first signing day.”

Advertisement
Baker was a **** of a hire. This defense he brought is going to be sick. Height said he would be standing up as a DE, that sounds like the 2-4-5. The defensive playbook is going to look like the **** Ravens defensive playbook on Madden lmao.

Baker was a **** of a hire. This defense he brought is going to be sick. Height said he would be standing up as a DE, that sounds like the 2-4-5. The defensive playbook is going to look like the **** Ravens defensive playbook on Madden lmao.

Sounds like what Alabama runs, it's the same defense we currently run except the ends stand-up and you still have a Striker.
Nothing earth shattering, watch the CFL. They've been running these schemes for years. Lots of really innovative stuff up here.

“I mean, there’s not much in Kentucky. It was kind of fun, it was decent,” Height said.” Miami, you’re in the city, it’s lit, everybody krunk, just energy down there. But Kentucky is a good school, I like them.”

:rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg:

Advertisement
Sounds like what Alabama runs, it's the same defense we currently run except the ends stand-up and you still have a Striker.
Nothing earth shattering, watch the CFL. They've been running these schemes for years. Lots of really innovative stuff up here.
Never said it's earth shattering. I've seen it ran before.

Our defense has evolved over the last couple years and I'm excited that our defense and offense will mirror each other. Same plays out of multiple formations.

No its a 4-3 and 4-2-5. At times the weakside end might stand up. **** diaz had chad thomas stand up at times on the strong side.

@D RevLee learn football. This is baker at louisiana tech and this is a 4-2-5 look. The weak side end(viper) is standing up.

Advertisement
@D RevLee learn football. This is baker at louisiana tech and this is a 4-2-5 look. The weak side end(viper) is standing up.

View attachment 87984

Not gonna lie, that pre-snap alignment defensively, assuming the FS is playing mid field out of the picture, is fantastic for run fit ups.
That Viper job typically in defense are "see ball go". You put your freaks of nature there and let them ball.

Bama runs a 3-4 but a nose and two 2-gapping 5-techs. We run a 4-3 with 2 one-gapping 3 techs. All they will do is occasionally stand up an end and either rush him or drop him back and rush someone else. The defenses are not the same though.

Bama runs a 3-4 but a nose and two 2-gapping 5-techs. We run a 4-3 with 2 one-gapping 3 techs. All they will do is occasionally stand up an end and either rush him or drop him back and rush someone else. The defenses are not the same though.

Not entirely wrong but you're oversimplifying it, but no need to get into the mechanics of it, generally your right.

Regarding Diaz's"4-3" having 2 one gapping 3-techniques meansboth A gaps are unaccounted for, or occupied by the Mike, which happens but that a wide 40 front and typically only used on passing situations, but I wouldn't say that is his base defense..

Advertisement
Am I the only one not moved by this recruit? I’m sure there are plenty of others we can take before him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back