2024 Head to Head with the Big Boys: Oklahoma Edition

lindend

Money, its gotta be da shoes!
Premium
First Edition tracking our success recruiting against the big boys for key recruits. Since Venables has made it personal with Mario, we're going to start w/him and Oklahoma as I'm suspecting Mario will be focusing on getting revenge with recruits and not in verbal banter.

modern family cameron GIF

Venables clearly has his negative recruiting against the Canes schpeel down and so far, he's been very effective.

2025 Cycle

HS Grade: TBD
Portal Grade: TBD

RecruitCollegeComments
Trystan HaynesUnless there are extenuating circumstances, its going to be tough (impossible?) to pull an elite CB from Oklahoma

2024 Cycle

HS Grade: F
Portal Grade: A

RecruitCollegeComments
Davon MitchellOklahomaReportedly 50/50 until decision day
James NestaOklahomaNot sure why, but was a priority for the staff.
Jayden JacksonOklahomaHuge miss here. No way to spin this.
David StoneOklahomaStone has been rumored to be Sooner lean for a long time. Jackson's commit might be the final nail in the coffin.
Wyatt GilmoreOklahomaNorman may be a good decision for him.
Demetrius FreeneyMiamiOU wanted him badly as a portal CB (especially after Davis left for the portal to Miami)
Sione LauleaTrending strongly to USCw
Matt LeeMiami
Eddy Pierre-LouisOklahomaPicked OU

2023 Cycle

RecruitCollegeComments
Kaleb SpencerMiamiFlipped him late in the cycle
Reuben BainMiamiOU wanted him bad

2022 Cycle

RecruitCollegeComments
Ahmad MotenMiamiWas all OU until Mario made a late push
Mason ThomasOklahomaMario couldn't overcome OU with a late push

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mitchell and Jackson are the ones I'd guessing we're going to work on flipping until the bitter end. Ditto for Stone.

Personally, I'd much rather have Cole and Hayes rather than Nesta so IDK we continue to recruit him.

Advertisement
Mitchell and Stone are the ones I'd guessing we're going to work on flipping until the bitter end. Ditto for Stone.

Personally, I'd much rather have Cole and Hayes rather than Nesta so IDK we continue to recruit him.
Did you mean Mitchell and Scott?

Advertisement
@can
You don't think we will keep trying to flip Scott or is that a wrap?
O$U thread created and my Scott commentary here

Advertisement
Would love to be a fly on the wall for the Jackson recruitment. Have to wonder if all things were equal in terms of the NIL offers respectively. Though he was clearly a take, size was a concern for me in terms of his ceiling. And looking at photos he appears to have short arms (I'm no expert). So IF the measurables impact his ceiling, it's logical to think it would potentially limit the NIL offer, where we're purported to have a definitive pecking order as well as a commitment to not overspend on certain recruits. Just another layer to consider in today's recruiting battles.

At the end of 22, Venables & Mario held Cardinal Gibbons teammates Ahmad Moten (Miami) & R Mason Thomas (Oklahoma) for OVs Jan 21st to Oklahoma & Jan 28th to Miami. Split 1-1.

2023 JUCO CB Demetrius Freeney was also in on Oklahoma prior to signing to Miami. Him & his 2024 JUCO teammate Sione Laulea both visited OU in May.
Not sure if you'd count it for OU but since Venables wants to be a *****, Rueben Bain took an OV to OU during their big OV weekend last June.

Also if you are including portal, both Oklahoma and Miami were after Matt Lee out of UCF. W for Miami there.

Advertisement
At the end of 22, Venables & Mario held Cardinal Gibbons teammates Ahmad Moten (Miami) & R Mason Thomas (Oklahoma) for OVs Jan 21st to Oklahoma & Jan 28th to Miami. Split 1-1.

2023 JUCO CB Demetrius Freeney was also in on Oklahoma prior to signing to Miami. Him & his 2024 JUCO teammate Sione Laulea both visited OU in May.

I forgot about those battles, OP updated.

Not sure if you'd count it for OU but since Venables wants to be a *****, Rueben Bain took an OV to OU during their big OV weekend last June.

Oh, I'm petty, very petty. OP updated. Venables has made this personal not just dissing Mario but all of us.

Venables knows defensive recruits so it makes it doubly important.

Shade Reaction GIF by Bounce

Also if you are including portal, both Oklahoma and Miami were after Matt Lee out of UCF. W for Miami there.
OP updated.

After updating the OP to include all the battles @One9 mentioned, I can visualize things better. Until the last couple of weeks, Mario had Venables in a closet with the door shut, and the key in the trash. It will be interesting to see if Mario can flip some of these losses and return things to their normal state of Miami owning Oklahoma on the trail.

Tina Fey Boss GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Yeah, some good Oklahoma conversation going on in the Ohio St. thread 🙄 lol..
Boomer Sooner will be a good watch for the hopeful face plant this season (flip(s))?
We know the staff is working Stone, though apparently his preference is clear. Wonder if they're still pursuing Jackson?

Are we sure a Venables led OU program should even be considered a “big boy”?
That was my immediate thought. Right now the "big boys" are who we hope to be, right? For recruiting purposes, as we can't make any on the field argument, those are Alabama, Georgia, OSU...and everybody else?

By "everybody else" I mean we are realistically (maybe optimistically) competing with the Clemsons, Oregons, USCs, Michigan, Texas, USC, and Oklahomas? Each brings different things to the table, but none can show any recent combination of top recruiting classes and and actual production (meaning conference championships and playoff participation).

And, before people get wound up, go check 247 recruiting history and post season "success". Clemson did not have great classes, they had very good classes, and a couple of great QBs. Oregon might have underperformed relative to classes. Michigan the opposite. Miami is in a dead heat with Texas, OU, and USC to see which program can come back from the dead to real, national prominence. Not just visibility.

Advertisement
Back