"He learned under Saban"

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
Let's put this myth to rest once and for all. Have some good coaches come from the "Saban tree?" Sure. But, I'm going to punch everyone in their collective faces if they keep saying that a plus for Mario is that he learned under Saban.

Bobby Williams coached at Michigan State for 5 years under Saban. He was 16-17, 6-15 in 2.5 years at Michigan State, being fired in his 3rd year, even with the players Saban left him.

Derek Dooley coached under Saban for 7 years. 5 at LSU and 2 with the Dolphins. He was 15-21, 4-19 at Tennessee before being fired.

Will Muschamp coached under Saban for 5 years. 4 at LSU and 1 with the Dolphins. He was 28-21 in 4 years at UF before being fired.

Advertisement
How Mario keeps winding up on everyone's list is ******* astonishing. He was fired from ******* FIU. Not good enough for FIU, better hire him here!

Advertisement
I'd compare this "learned under Saban" stuff to "they coached under Belichick." How many successful head coaches have come from that tree?

Advertisement
Let's put this myth to rest once and for all. Have some good coaches come from the "Saban tree?" Sure. But, I'm going to punch everyone in their collective faces if they keep saying that a plus for Mario is that he learned under Saban.

Bobby Williams coached at Michigan State for 5 years under Saban. He was 16-17, 6-15 in 2.5 years at Michigan State, being fired in his 3rd year, even with the players Saban left him.

Derek Dooley coached under Saban for 7 years. 5 at LSU and 2 with the Dolphins. He was 15-21, 4-19 at Tennessee before being fired.

Will Muschamp coached under Saban for 5 years. 4 at LSU and 1 with the Dolphins. He was 28-21 in 4 years at UF before being fired.

Well said. Saban is one of a kind, I don't necessarily believe too much in coaching trees. It can help or hurt but ultimately every coach has their own style and that will be the determining factor

It's such a lazy thing to say.
It means absolutely nothing in actual substance in evaluating a coaching candidate.

The difference with Cristobal is that he was a head coach, was fired then learned under him. Smart on the other hand has never been a head coach which would coincide with your post.

Advertisement
The only thing he learned was that their facilities are better than ours. Outside of that, I'd only welcome him back as an offensive line coach.

The difference with Cristobal is that he was a head coach, was fired then learned under him. Smart on the other hand has never been a head coach which would coincide with your post.

So we should go after Bobby Williams?
He's been with Saban the longest so he's learned at lot more and he has previous HC experience.

Advertisement
i was happy f a g was fired but holy shet at some of the names being thrown around as possible HC.. depressing the life out of me

Ok, I'll bite. Kevin Steele was a HC before coaching under Saban. He was bad. He was a good position coach. He "learned" under Saban. He never got another HC gig.

Advertisement
Back