Has Clemson become FSU's second biggest rival?

ADELPHI

Sophomore
Is Clemson now FSU's second biggest rival?
Corey Clark, Tallahassee Democrat

I grew up on the Florida State-Miami rivalry. Understand that before we continue here.

I was in the stadium for the first two Wide Rights, for the 1987 FSU loss on the failed two-point conversion, the 1989 game at Doak (where Dexter Carter dropped the penalty flag on Bernard Clark's head), for the Devin Bush interception in 1993 and for the Great Muff Game of 2005 (OK, so "Great" might be a little strong).

So I understand the history of the FSU-Miami series. I have the proper perspective. I appreciate what it's meant to college football over the years. And still, as we head into this weekend's game at Doak Campbell Stadium, I think the FSU-Clemson rivalry has surpassed it in importance.

Seriously. I do.

Not only does it also feature some of the all-time great moments in FSU history – the Puntrooskie, the Bowden Bowl, Dustin Hopkins' 55-yard game-winner and last year's three-hour Jameis-Winston-for-Heisman commercial – but it's become THE game in the ACC each season.

Of course, Florida has been and will always be the most important game on the FSU schedule. That's not changing. Even with 4-8 seasons and triple overtime victories over Kentucky, the Gators are still the biggest rival Florida State has.

Miami used to be undisputed No. 2. I'm just not convinced that's the case anymore.

With Clemson's Dabo Swinney recruiting at such a high level and with Florida State's Jimbo Fisher recruiting – and coaching – at an elite level as well, you have two guys with funny names stockpiling their programs with NFL talent.

The two programs have combined to play in four BCS bowls in the last three seasons, winning three of them. The one loss? Well, I mean, I think West Virginia was involved and there were a few touchdowns scored, but who can remember a game from January, 2012 anyway?

Point is: Florida State-Clemson is a real-life college football rivalry. One that actually matters on a regional and national scale.

This will be the third straight year ESPN's "College Gameday" has broadcast from the site of the game, including last year's Bill Murray-Lee Corso wrestling match on the set (the best ending to that show in its history by the way).

The winner of this game has won the last five Atlantic Division titles and the last three ACC championships.

Meanwhile, down in Miami.

The Hurricanes haven't played in an ACC Championship game since joining the conference in 2005. If not for a Jarmon Fortson drop in the end zone they would have lost six straight to the Seminoles. As it is, they haven't led Florida State in the second half of a game since that night in 2009.

The average margin of victory for FSU over the last four years has been 18 points. And Al Golden and Company don't appear to be closing that gap anytime soon, either.

It's a new world, people. It's a new day.

Those Wide Rights were more than two decades ago. That's not who the Hurricanes are anymore. Truthfully, Miami hasn't been Miami since Kellen Winslow was soldiering the sidelines.

While I might be wrong here (first time for everything, folks) I think many FSU fans would genuinely like to see Miami get out of this state of mediocrity. I mean, maybe not to the days of the early 2000s, when they had more first-round picks than entire conferences (seriously, go look at those rosters — just unbelievable how much talent the Hurricanes had back then), but back to a point where it can at least occasionally play in an ACC Championship Game.

You know, like Clemson.

The Tigers have a head coach that, despite what you may think of him as a tactician, gets some serious players to that campus. They have an administration that will pay incredible sums of money for coordinators. They have a fantastic fan base. That shows up for all the games, not just one every two years against the in-state rival.

No. They haven't ripped the hearts out of FSU fans like the Hurricanes used to do on a seemingly annual basis — losses to Miami cost the Seminoles possible national titles in 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991 and 1992. And the one year FSU did beat Miami during that stretch, a 24-10 victory in 1989, the Hurricanes won the national title anyway.

So trust me. I get the history. I understand why the rivalry still means so much to the FSU fans who had to live through that heartache. I understand why there is some rabid dislike there. But man, those games were a long time ago. If you're 30 or younger you probably don't remember any of those historic games.

The reality is, FSU-Miami hasn't been "FSU-Miami" for quite a while now. Even last year's matchup of Top 10 teams wasn't expected to be a close game — due to a large disparity in talent. And it wasn't.

And yes, Florida State hung 51 in Death Valley last season. I was there. I remember. But that was the exception, not the rule, in the rivalry.

Before that rout, the Seminoles hadn't won there since 2001.

With both Florida State and Clemson investing huge sums of money into their programs, with both fanbases filling up their stadiums routinely, and with Dabo and Jimbo continually bringing in elite recruits, FSU-Clemson has become the rivalry game that truly matters in the ACC.

And that doesn't look to be changing anytime soon.

Advertisement
Well, we played F$U closer than Clemson last year and Clemson had them at home.

It does show how far we have slipped that this question is even being asked out loud.

We suck, but this dumb. Clemson is the best they've been since they won the national title in 1981. Their biggest rivals are South Carolina and then Georgia Tech. That would be like us replacing them with Va Tech.

Did FSU ever have a rival in the ACC? When Miami was Big East/Ind and UF in the SEC they never really cared much about their own conf.

Ultimately this article supports my theory Miami and FSU need to be in the same division just as Tex-OU and Alabama-AU. Having Clemson be a "rival" because they are the big stumbling block to the conference game, then of course they will be more important than the Miami game.

This idea Miami and FSU would play each other twice every season has been debunked every year. End it.

Advertisement
lol, how many times has Clemson even beat FSU. They got spanked last season with the best team they have maybe ever had.

I grew up on the Florida State-Miami rivalry. Understand that before we continue here.

I was in the stadium for the first two Wide Rights, for the 1987 FSU loss on the failed two-point conversion, the 1989 game at Doak (where Dexter Carter dropped the penalty flag on Bernard Clark's head), for the Devin Bush interception in 1993 and for the Great Muff Game of 2005 (OK, so "Great" might be a little strong).

So I understand the history of the FSU-Miami series. I have the proper perspective. I appreciate what it's meant to college football over the years. And still, as we head into this weekend's game at Doak Campbell Stadium, I think the FSU-Clemson rivalry has surpassed it in importance.

Seriously. I do.

Not only does it also feature some of the all-time great moments in FSU history – the Puntrooskie, the Bowden Bowl, Dustin Hopkins' 55-yard game-winner and last year's three-hour Jameis-Winston-for-Heisman commercial – but it's become THE game in the ACC each season.

Of course, Florida has been and will always be the most important game on the FSU schedule. That's not changing. Even with 4-8 seasons and triple overtime victories over Kentucky, the Gators are still the biggest rival Florida State has.

Miami used to be undisputed No. 2. I'm just not convinced that's the case anymore.

With Clemson's Dabo Swinney recruiting at such a high level and with Florida State's Jimbo Fisher recruiting – and coaching – at an elite level as well, you have two guys with funny names stockpiling their programs with NFL talent.

The two programs have combined to play in four BCS bowls in the last three seasons, winning three of them. The one loss? Well, I mean, I think West Virginia was involved and there were a few touchdowns scored, but who can remember a game from January, 2012 anyway?

Point is: Florida State-Clemson is a real-life college football rivalry. One that actually matters on a regional and national scale.

This will be the third straight year ESPN's "College Gameday" has broadcast from the site of the game, including last year's Bill Murray-Lee Corso wrestling match on the set (the best ending to that show in its history by the way).

The winner of this game has won the last five Atlantic Division titles and the last three ACC championships.

The Hurricanes haven't played in an ACC Championship game since joining the conference in 2005. If not for a Jarmon Fortson drop in the end zone they would have lost six straight to the Seminoles. As it is, they haven't led Florida State in the second half of a game since that night in 2009.

The average margin of victory for FSU over the last four years has been 18 points. And Al Golden and Company don't appear to be closing that gap anytime soon, either.

Those Wide Rights were more than two decades ago. That's not who the Hurricanes are anymore. Truthfully, Miami hasn't been Miami since Kellen Winslow was soldiering the sidelines.

While I might be wrong here (first time for everything, folks) I think many FSU fans would genuinely like to see Miami get out of this state of mediocrity. I mean, maybe not to the days of the early 2000s, when they had more first-round picks than entire conferences (seriously, go look at those rosters — just unbelievable how much talent the Hurricanes had back then), but back to a point where it can at least occasionally play in an ACC Championship Game.

You know, like Clemson.

The Tigers have a head coach that, despite what you may think of him as a tactician, gets some serious players to that campus. They have an administration that will pay incredible sums of money for coordinators. They have a fantastic fan base. That shows up for all the games, not just one every two years against the in-state rival.

No. They haven't ripped the hearts out of FSU fans like the Hurricanes used to do on a seemingly annual basis — losses to Miami cost the Seminoles possible national titles in 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991 and 1992. And the one year FSU did beat Miami during that stretch, a 24-10 victory in 1989, the Hurricanes won the national title anyway.

So trust me. I get the history. I understand why the rivalry still means so much to the FSU fans who had to live through that heartache. I understand why there is some rabid dislike there. But man, those games were a long time ago. If you're 30 or younger you probably don't remember any of those historic games.

The reality is, FSU-Miami hasn't been "FSU-Miami" for quite a while now. Even last year's matchup of Top 10 teams wasn't expected to be a close game — due to a large disparity in talent. And it wasn't.

And yes, Florida State hung 51 in Death Valley last season. I was there. I remember. But that was the exception, not the rule, in the rivalry.

With both Florida State and Clemson investing huge sums of money into their programs, with both fanbases filling up their stadiums routinely, and with Dabo and Jimbo continually bringing in elite recruits, FSU-Clemson has become the rivalry game that truly matters in the ACC.

He was referring to the Butch Davis teams.

lol, how many times has Clemson even beat FSU. They got spanked last season with the best team they have maybe ever had.

FSU leads the series 19-8, but since 2003, Clemson leads 6-5. Still, not anywhere near our rivalry. 2 blowouts do not end a rivalry. 2011 was close, 2012 was close for 3 quarters. 2010 and last year were blowouts. This guy needs a new job.

Seriously. I do.

You know, like Clemson.

He was referring to the Butch Davis teams.
Reading that did nothing but make me want Butch back

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back