Has CFP coach ever left the same year to go to another school?

Captain Cane

Recruit
Love the current coach offerings but the current number 1 is in line to make this years CFP and if he does, would he leave the team he built to get there to come to Miami? Mario seems like a high character guy and I really would doubt he would leave a team like Oregon coming off a playoff berth.
It would be kind of like Butch leaving the team he did in 2000 to go the NFL route. I still believe he regrets that decision.
On the other hand Lane has offered his services and will cost a lot less buyout wise. Given Mel Tuckers new deal these coaches salaries are going to reach insane new levels.
I would hate to lose Lane while hoping Mario decides who he wants to dance with. Plus Lane will bring back the attention Miami used to always have with high scoring offenses and over the top tv interviews.

Advertisement
Love the current coach offerings but the current number 1 is in line to make this years CFP and if he does, would he leave the team he built to get there to come to Miami? Mario seems like a high character guy and I really would doubt he would leave a team like Oregon coming off a playoff berth.
It would be kind of like Butch leaving the team he did in 2000 to go the NFL route. I still believe he regrets that decision.
On the other hand Lane has offered his services and will cost a lot less buyout wise. Given Mel Tuckers new deal these coaches salaries are going to reach insane new levels.
I would hate to lose Lane while hoping Mario decides who he wants to dance with. Plus Lane will bring back the attention Miami used to always have with high scoring offenses and over the top tv interviews.
As well as the attention of the NCAA….

Advertisement
The U will not go after Kiffin .He is not a serious guy .Good offensive mind but has a very bad track record behaviorally as a head coach. All these posts are pointless.

Except the scenario of Miami losing Lane while hoping for Mario makes sense if Miami had already fired its coach. Manny is still employed and currently has no boss. Lane and Mario are currently focused on winning their next games.

After Manny is fired on 11/29, we'll know a lot more. I'll bet we'll know who our head coach is by 12/6-12/8 at the latest.

Advertisement
The U will not go after Kiffin .He is not a serious guy .Good offensive mind but has a very bad track record behaviorally as a head coach. All these posts are pointless.
You and a few others on here are having trouble separating the coaching from the coach. It's not the coaching you have a problem with, it's really the man doing the coaching that you're against. There is no such thing as a moral championship in college football. They don't give the trophy to the coach with the best morals. I'm trying to win a national championship.

Did Kiffin do something to **** off Miami high schools while in Boca? Gym friend brought this up. I’d never heard of it.

I personally choose to hope that some cat and mouse is being played by Lane and Miami. Lane for obvious reasons but UM now can go to Mario and say, yes or no. We can’t drag this out AND we obviously have other good coaches interested.

Advertisement
What does his “very bad track record behaviorally “ consist of ?
Part of the Mario vs Lane narrative developing….

Mario family guy with great morals like everyone here, every ex player and everyone at Nintendo

Lane slimy satanic figure womanizer who will rat himself out to the NCAA the minute he gets to campus shutting down our program

Odd switch up: Freeze a born again leader of men who would have none of the concerns Lane would have

I personally choose to hope that some cat and mouse is being played by Lane and Miami. Lane for obvious reasons but UM now can go to Mario and say, yes or no. We can’t drag this out AND we obviously have other good coaches interested.
This is close to where I am at. Mario you want to be our #1, you are, here is what we are doing and how we are showing you that.

BUT, we need to know and not be left at the alter. We need to know you aren’t jumping on the first plane to Tuscaloosa again. We need to know we are your #1.

AND we need to know that in a fair timeline.

Part of the Mario vs Lane narrative developing….

Mario family guy with great morals like everyone here, every ex player and everyone at Nintendo

Lane slimy satanic figure womanizer who will rat himself out to the NCAA the minute he gets to campus shutting down our program

Odd switch up: Freeze a born again leader of men who would have none of the concerns Lane would have
Put me down for any of those 3 and I’m happy. Let’s not forget where we are coming from. All of those mentioned are capable of Building a culture and program.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back