Harvey speaks on being first signee in Surge19, future at UM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
It’s been a long road for Vero Beach 4-star DE Jahfari Harvey to get to this point, but today his path led to him achieving his dream, as he was the first signee of the Miami Hurricanes in the class of 2019.

“It’s been a life-long dream to play college football for me, so I was really excited to sign today,” Harvey said.

With offers from schools like UGA, Michigan, and Oregon, Harvey could have gone to numerous top Power 5 programs, but felt playing at Miami was something special.

“It’s hard to explain, it’s such a different feeling,” Harvey said of why he chose UM. “It just felt like it was the best decision for me, everything about it. When I went down there it just felt like I had to be there.”

Harvey visited campus with family for the “Miami Nights” event in June and that is what sealed the deal for him, as UM gave him a lot of 1-on-1 attention despite a host of other top prospects being in attendance. Since committing to Miami 6 months ago, Harvey showed extreme loyalty to the program and did not entertain the idea of any visits or interest from other coaches.

“Once I committed, I was committed,” Harvey said. “I’m a true Cane, through and through.”

Last weekend, Harvey took his official visit to Miami, which was his only OV of the process. During that time, the 6’4” 225 pounder spent the days bonding with his fellow commits and feels the defensive talent of Surge19 will be hard to top.

“I think we have a great defensive class, hopefully we’ll get some more offensive commits,” Harvey said.

UM has two planned signees at defensive end in the early signing period; to go along with Harvey, Miami is also bringing in Chaminade-Madonna 3-star Cameron Williams.

“I know him a little bit, we met a couple times,” Harvey said of Williams. “I’ve watched his highlights, he’s long and has a lot of potential to grow and become a good player in the future. I can see us coming off each side and getting to the quarterback, being coached up by coach Simpson.”

When asked for his goals for his freshman season at UM, Harvey made sure to stay humble and focus on the team as a whole.

“I want to work hard and do the best I can do for my team,” Harvey said.

And his message to the Canes' fans that have followed his recruitment?

“Expect something great.”

Advertisement
Jeramiah Payton was solid from the beginning as well. Its a breathe of fresh air to have kids like this.

Advertisement
Him and Payton should’ve been class ambassadors for each side not Solomon, I hope that dude freezes his off next season while harbaurgh gets fired

Advertisement
Back