Hartley and Special Teams

Salt

"Assigned species at birth"
For all the knock Hartley gets for having his unit underperform, which is well-deserved, I will give him some credit for this adjustment. If you noticed that one punt return where Dallas basically had the whole left side of the field wide open for a huge return, that was the result of putting JT4 and Dallas together on punt returns.

JT4 acted as a decoy and pretended as if he was fielding the punt and pretty much drew the coverage to his side of the field.

I think this was something that was probably discussed to create some space for our returners. It seems we are not able to do it very well setting up punt returns with just a single returner so adding another guy back there enables us to create some deception opportunities and create more space for a decent return.

Don't know if anyone else wrote about this so I wanted to put it out there. Good job by Hartley!

Advertisement
Good adjustment by Hartley, absolutely.

With that said, our punt coverage nearly cost us the game. Our ST all around yesterday was god awful minus the return by Dallas.

We nearly lost the game because of our ST. Our Special Teams are the worst I have ever seen. Punts, missed Field Goals, coverage, etc. Richt needs to make a change here.

i also like he hes starting to run the punter out a little bit before kicking it creates time for coverage and limits return potential and spicer actually kicked better that way

We nearly lost the game because of our ST. Our Special Teams are the worst I have ever seen. Punts, missed Field Goals, coverage, etc. Richt needs to make a change here.

If he doesn’t he may be delusional

Advertisement
Good adjustment by Hartley, absolutely.

With that said, our punt coverage nearly cost us the game. Our ST all around yesterday was god awful minus the return by Dallas.
great adjustment, i just think he should find some different punt returners than our starting RB and WR. That being said, the old Miami, besides devin hester, let almost any star return the ball like santana moss, sean taylor, ed reed.

they had both returners back there the entire game. it was set up all game long and they finally "ran the play" when needed. props for the planning, call and execution.

Richt is in a pickle in this one. Hartley must stay on staff. But he must be taken off ST. We have no coaching spots available. The only solution I see is possibly letting Banda go. Rumph should be able to coach the entire secondary by now. He also played Safety in the Pros so he knows what to teach. But is Banda still a main recruiter? I don’t know. If he is then scratch this thought.

Advertisement
Patke or lil Rick are expendable.

Thought about that. But he ain’t letting little Rick go. Best case scenario is he gets a better job somewhere else. Doubtful. And with how well that Striker position is playing I don’t see them letting Patke go.

Something different pops up every week on special teams. We blocked much better on kicks this week. Instead, guys had no lane discipline on punt coverage it looked like a conga line sometimes. Might need to take Homer off of that unit. He's made some plays in the past but whiffed all day yesterday. Put a young buck back there who wants to hit somebody and save Homer's mileage for the ground and pound.

Advertisement
Thought about that. But he ain’t letting little Rick go. Best case scenario is he gets a better job somewhere else. Doubtful. And with how well that Striker position is playing I don’t see them letting Patke go.
You’re right that he’ll never fire his own kid. Would be nice if he got snagged for a coordinator job at a much smaller program but hasn’t done anything to warrant such an offer.

As far as Patke, how much can the impact the Striker position has had be attributed to him? I believe it’s just a great scheme for our talent and we probably wouldn’t notice any difference if Manny were still coaching the LB’s.

Either way I don’t see Richt making any staff changes, despite how obvious the need may be.

You’re right that he’ll never fire his own kid. Would be nice if he got snagged for a coordinator job at a much smaller program but hasn’t done anything to warrant such an offer.

As far as Patke, how much can the impact the Striker position has had be attributed to him? I believe it’s just a great scheme for our talent and we probably wouldn’t notice any difference if Manny were still coaching the LB’s.

Either way I don’t see Richt making any staff changes, despite how obvious the need may be.

Good points. But I disagree on the last. ST is a crap show and Richt knows it. It easily could of lost us the game yesterday. He knows if we want to be elite ST needs to get drastically better.

Richt Jr got 10 wins and an Orange Bowl berth out of a backup 3rd baseman, and Patke’s striker position has been the best and most consistent addition to this defense besides Gerald Willis.

Y’all need to stop.

Advertisement
We are better on punt returns/kick returns but worse on punt coverage teams

I still can't believe the NCAA gave us a chance to upgrade our staff and Richt used it to promote a GA to a position that's supposed to be our DC's forte. Unbelievable.

Richt Jr got 10 wins and an Orange Bowl berth out of a backup 3rd baseman, and Patke’s striker position has been the best and most consistent addition to this defense besides Gerald Willis.

Y’all need to stop.

Wasnt the striker position Diaz's idea? Patke could have stayed at his position and done the same thing, only difference is now he can go and recruit.

I'm pretty sure cmr will make Hartley straight out that punt coverage.but that fsu did act like he called a fair catch.running down the field coverage team saw him act like he was going to give the ref the ball covering team let up then he took off.the youngsters on our coverage team got lesson taught to them.Don't let up till you hear the whistle.

Advertisement
Back