2022 Harold Perkins — 2022 LB; Picks LSU

Well Puerto Ricans haven't suffered in this country the way blacks have. So you don't understand why HBCU's were created and your parents didn't attend segregated schools. So me and you aren't even speaking from the same perspective and b this is something you can't understand.
Yea I went over with the other poster. I kind of understood him when I put myself in his shoes. I get it

Advertisement
One reason I have a deep love for UM football is because Howard Schnellenberger was one of the first coaches who went into black hoods like liberty city and offered black athletes a chance to play at a major university. Let’s be honest when we started whipping up on good ole Notre Dame, OU, Bama , Texas on NATIONAL TELEVISION it was a shock to America. Terms like “Thugs” and “Thug U” was pretty much code for u know what. Add to the fact that Miami is home to many minorities both culturally and social economically (Immigrants such as our Cuban brothers and Sisters for example) and have always have the world against us mentality and I was hooked.

The first African American athlete to play major college sports was Ray Bellamy at the U.

In today’s world it doesn’t matter if you’re white black brown or blue. All that matters is you bleed green and orange. We are hated nowadays because we are simply “the U”
I didn't that about Ray Bellamy - seems like something we should really lean into more than we do now.

Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement
Everyone knew (except the slurpers) that he was the gem and difference maker. He basically beat Miami three times. U out him on Golden's team we possibly beat fsu
I literally just **** near posted this same thing in another thread about how Cook was a "must-get" and how he singlehandedly beat us 3 yrs straight lol

I'm shocked at the number of people that believe if a talented kid goes to a hbcu that the kid won't get drafted highly. Lol
You guys are crazy. Alabama state university put a guy in the first round a couple of years back and he was a OL ( the very area -trenches- that some of you are ragging on the most). If you're talented, they will snatch you up no matter where you are. Same way they snatch up kids from these small *** non-hbcu schools.
It's rare though. That is the point. I don't really understand why that is shocking to you. The reality is, kids that go to these schools, no matter how talented they are, are less likely to get developed because they get worse coaching, worse facilities, worse healthcare and nutrition, and most importantly, they face far worse competition. A 5 star talent coming out of high school is far more likely to rely on their God given talent to dominate against the low-level competition they are going to face at an HBCU. That will stunt their development and significantly reduce the likelihood of getting drafted high.

Advertisement
Exactly what I thought, that "pavilion" is what my high school used for lunch...IN THE 1980s...

And the portable buildings in the background...most people who went to high school in Florida will remember those buildings. IMPRESSIVE, Coach Prime, all that AFLAC money is being put to good use...

It's going to be a great practice field for punters...
Maybe Feagles transfers there and the field will be just perfect

I'll be interested to see if they make highlights and headlines on ESPN. Purely to see how it all goes down.

Last guy that happened with on a weekly basis at a lower tier school (higher on the rungs than JSU) were those who went to Marshall. Randy Moss and the two QB's Leftwich and Pennington. Will Hunter it anyone else they sign make the kind of national noise like those guys? Guess we'll see.
I use to watch all their midweek games when those dudes were there. Moss going ham on everyone. Remember Leftwich getting hurt and his lineman carrying him from play to play

Advertisement
I'm shocked at the number of people that believe if a talented kid goes to a hbcu that the kid won't get drafted highly. Lol
You guys are crazy. Alabama state university put a guy in the first round a couple of years back and he was a OL ( the very area -trenches- that some of you are ragging on the most). If you're talented, they will snatch you up no matter where you are. Same way they snatch up kids from these small *** non-hbcu schools.
If it’s the same guy I’m thinking of, he was recruited as a QB then I believe he moved to TE before finally playing OT. So clearly there was some development going on there, he didn’t get there as a 5* finished product

I use to watch all their midweek games when those dudes were there. Moss going ham on everyone. Remember Leftwich getting hurt and his lineman carrying him from play to play

I saw that live as well, the carry. Was a big fan of him ever after as that took balls of steel. Medically, I don't know that they would allow it today, but it was a shining moment in college football for me.

Moss was such a monster, it wasn't even funny. He could literally do anything.

Anyhow, back on topic.

Advertisement
It's rare though. That is the point. I don't really understand why that is shocking to you. The reality is, kids that go to these schools, no matter how talented they are, are less likely to get developed because they get worse coaching, worse facilities, worse healthcare and nutrition, and most importantly, they face far worse competition. A 5 star talent coming out of high school is far more likely to rely on their God given talent to dominate against the low-level competition they are going to face at an HBCU. That will stunt their development and significantly reduce the likelihood of getting drafted high.

It's rare because they aren't getting the talent. Do you believe years ago that all of the things you listed that they will be missing out on now didn't exist in comparison to the big schools? Sure those disparities existed. The difference was those talented guys simply weren't allowed to play at major schools so they found their way to the NFL by playing at the schools where they could play.

Make no mistake about if IF more talented players went to hbcu's you'd see more hbcu kids being drafted despite the "lack of development." And all of this talk of development completely ignores the fact that a good amount of the draft is based on projection anyway. How many times do we here talk like "hasn't scratched the surface" or " he's young for his age" or "he's only played football for x years" or "he's played x position but he projects as a (insert position) at the next level."

Truth is a good amount of these coaches that we think are better are just better because they have better players.

It's rare because they aren't getting the talent. Do you believe years ago that all of the things you listed that they will be missing out on now didn't exist in comparison to the big schools? Sure those disparities existed. The difference was those talented guys simply weren't allowed to play at major schools so they found their way to the NFL by playing at the schools where they could play.

Make no mistake about if IF more talented players went to hbcu's you'd see more talented hbcu kids being drafted despite the "lack of development." And all of these talk of development completely ignores the fact that a good amount of the draft is based on projection anyway. How many times do we here talk like "hasn't scratched the surface" or " he's young for his age" or "he's only played football for x years" or "he's played x position but he projects as a (insert position) at the next level." A good amount of these coaches that we think are better are just better because they have better players.
Exactly. And before I go any further, let me frame my sentiments by saying **** Deion and **** JSU. I'm a Rattler, so while I tip my hat to the Hunter and Coleman, I wanna welcome them to college with a woodshed beating and follow that up with 2 more ***-kickings. This crushes the poor facilities/underfunded argument against HBCUs. When have those schools ever been flush with funds or had state of the art facilities? What has happened is all the talent stopped showing up. What has happened is that a stigma developed amongst young black athletes that made playing for a HBCU a perceived slight against their ability. I'm glad to see that change. There's over 1000 3 to 5 star recruits, do yall think that FBS football will fold if 10% of those kids chose HBCUs? No, but it would be a major talent infusion for that group of schools and a steady flow would greatly help to close the gap between them and the NDSUs and James Madisons of the world. I've said it before, as long as the U gets elite classes, I gives no ***** about any other PWI. One less kid to Boise State or Bama for that matter. Boo ******' Hoo...

Last edited:
As much as I find it hilarious seeing the hypocrisy regarding the outrage of players choosing to go to HBCUs over a D1 school, would I go to a HBCU over a power 5 If I received a full scholarship?… **** no. There are no advantages or perks. Education and networking opportunities aren’t on the same level…. Might have to fight some fraternity clowns (just like at a PWI) or fight some locals hating bc they heauxs choosing. The women look good but smaller schools so you’re passing around the same ones and limited diversity. Aside from that my biggest issue is from a background standpoint they operate like poor PWIs… all beg and answer to the same entities, promote the same agendas and indoctrinated ideologies for crumbs compared to actual PWIs.
Now Krazy, you have a leg to stand on with regards to the bolded, but that's another topic for another board...

Advertisement
Back