Harley, Wiggins speak on new offense, freshman receivers, and Likens

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
According to senior WR Mike Harley, the brisk pace of play OC Rhett Lashlee has brought to Miami has forced the UM offense to go through an adjustment period during the first few days of spring ball.

“It’s a faster offense, everyone’s moving,” Harley said. “We’re trying to get the reps, the speed, the tempo… Everyone’s tired, fatigued.”

Harley has mainly worked on the first team offense along with Houston grad transfer QB D’Eriq King, who had a huge Day 2 of spring ball.

“D’Eriq came in from spring workouts to here on the field, he’s just being that leader, setting the tone for the offense,” Harley said. “He gets the one reps, we’re going on from there… He’s a very fast-paced type of guy, option guy, so you have to stay on point because you never know if he’ll hand it off, pull it and run or throw the ball. He keeps the defense on its toes and also the offense on its toes. He’s very unpredictable.”

In terms of developing roles for his players, Lashlee has stressed that everyone on the team has a clean slate and is starting from scratch with him, something Harley appreciates; Lashlee is also requiring the QB’s to do up-downs if they make a bad throw to the receivers.

“[Lashlee is] young, but business is business. He’s putting everyone in the right position,” Harley said. “A fresh start means everyone has a fresh slate. Show the coaches you know what you’re doing, make plays.

“The discipline part is there with him, he tries to have everything on point.”

The Canes have a new WR coach on the practice field as well, with Rob Likens coming over from Arizona State in the offseason.

“He’s energetic, into it,” Harley said of Likens. “He’s been coaching 31 years, his chemistry, love for the game, passion for the game is different. I love the guy already. He’s giving everyone a fresh shot, is just teaching me a lot.”

Harley also had some positive words for the new freshman receivers, who have each made their share of plays so far this spring.

“Keyshawn (Smith), I call him `The Baby’ - he’s fast, reminds me of me coming in, kind of fast,” Harley said. “Dazalin (Worsham), quick on his feet, runs nice routes. X (Xavier Restrepo), he’s playing slot, reminds me of (Braxton) Berrios. He’s really tough… I’m taking all the guys under my wing, showing them the way.”

A fourth freshman WR, Michael Redding, has been on the practice field, but is a limited participant with a wrist injury.

“He works hard,” Harley said of Redding. “He has a little bruise right now, but he’ll be ready for fall camp.”

Redshirt freshman WR Jeremiah Payton is just behind the starters and is pushing for a large role in 2020.

“All he has to do is stay on top of his game, just have a dominant spring like he did last year,” Harley said of Payton. “That guy can explode, he has some talent.”

**Working in a new offense for the third straight season, junior WR Dee Wiggins feels offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee’s system is the most up-tempo scheme he’s ever played in.

“We’ll get tired, but it’s a process thing,” Wiggins said. “As days go by, we have to get better at conditioning. It’ll only get us better… It’s only Day 2 and we’re getting the hang of it. We just have to take it day by day and keep working.”

Wiggins also mentioned that there is less pre-snap movement compared to Dan Enos’ offense in 2019, and also said there are “way more deep shots” in the Lashlee offense.

“It’s not as confusing as everybody moving around and stuff like that, because we have a fast-tempo offense,” Wiggins said. “You get in your spot, you just go. Everybody feels comfortable with the offense. We just have to buckle up for the tempo and go.”

Another big component of Lashlee’s spread attack? Establishing an explosive running game, and Wiggins said the team is relying on junior Cam Harris to lead the way in that area.

“The running game is very important,” Wiggins said. “If there’s no running game we can’t pass the ball. [Harris is] the starter now. It’s on him to lead the young guys. It’s on him to work hard every play, go 110% every play.”

The Canes will be losing a lot of production from last year, with two of UM’s three leading receivers headed to the NFL in KJ Osborn and Jeff Thomas.

“We all need to take our game to another level heading into this season,” Wiggins said. “Last season, we didn’t have a great season. So it’s time for a change. It’s our turn to be leaders… I need to step up as a leader now, be more vocal. And after practice, get in there on everybody, the whole team, not just the receivers. We’re only going to get better if we get extra work.”

“All he has to do is stay on top of his game, just have a dominant spring like he did last year,” Harley said of Payton. “That guy can explode, he has some talent.”

Advertisement
15.gif

Advertisement
Harley I HOPE that is not true bc U had a lot of drop balls when you first started. I think these guys will be fine im not worried at all. My thing is and what everyone needs to worry about is the **** Oline. Yeah we got king and we got back wo can run and WR who can run routes but that don't mean squat if we cant give king a chance to do his thing.

Advertisement
I think Wiggins improved a lot last season. He's a deep threat who has moves, speed, and size. He struggled catching his freshman year but did much better last year. I hope he can be our lead by example guy next year.
It seems like all of our receivers struggled catching in 2018.

I like Payton a lot, and I was surprised he didn’t get more opportunities last season given our poor play at that position. IMHO, Payton was actually better than many of the players getting reps ahead of him last season. I saw Payton in a few camps and I love his competitiveness and drive. JP is what they called him, and he actually looked like one of the best receivers in the country coming out of high school. Payton went 100% in camps and he never took a rep off. Payton invited defensive backs to try to stop him, and he was a born leader in the mold of an Michael Irvin or Braxton Berrios. IMHO, King will recognize it, and Payton will show his skills in Lashlee’s offense.

Advertisement
If our guys can’t win 1 v 1s on the outside it’s gonna be more if the same it still comes down to that

Advertisement
Not concerned whatsoever with the receiver group , they will make plays in this offense. Much was made about the receiver group we recruited in2020 but we may have undervalued them a bit. They all have flashed so far this spring. Worsham is said to be smooth with his routes, ability to get open and catch the football, Keyshawn smith has been a playmaker and restrepo has been good too. Redding looking like a big, fast and physical receiver out there even though he’s physically limited with that wrist injury and this spring

Last edited:
According to senior WR Mike Harley, the brisk pace of play OC Rhett Lashlee has brought to Miami has forced the UM offense to go through an adjustment period during the first few days of spring ball.

“It’s a faster offense, everyone’s moving,” Harley said. “We’re trying to get the reps, the speed, the tempo… Everyone’s tired, fatigued.”

Harley has mainly worked on the first team offense along with Houston grad transfer QB D’Eriq King, who had a huge Day 2 of spring ball.

“D’Eriq came in from spring workouts to here on the field, he’s just being that leader, setting the tone for the offense,” Harley said. “He gets the one reps, we’re going on from there… He’s a very fast-paced type of guy, option guy, so you have to stay on point because you never know if he’ll hand it off, pull it and run or throw the ball. He keeps the defense on its toes and also the offense on its toes. He’s very unpredictable.”

In terms of developing roles for his players, Lashlee has stressed that everyone on the team has a clean slate and is starting from scratch with him, something Harley appreciates; Lashlee is also requiring the QB’s to do up-downs if they make a bad throw to the receivers.

“[Lashlee is] young, but business is business. He’s putting everyone in the right position,” Harley said. “A fresh start means everyone has a fresh slate. Show the coaches you know what you’re doing, make plays.

“The discipline part is there with him, he tries to have everything on point.”

The Canes have a new WR coach on the practice field as well, with Rob Likens coming over from Arizona State in the offseason.

“He’s energetic, into it,” Harley said of Likens. “He’s been coaching 31 years, his chemistry, love for the game, passion for the game is different. I love the guy already. He’s giving everyone a fresh shot, is just teaching me a lot.”

Harley also had some positive words for the new freshman receivers, who have each made their share of plays so far this spring.

“Keyshawn (Smith), I call him `The Baby’ - he’s fast, reminds me of me coming in, kind of fast,” Harley said. “Dazalin (Worsham), quick on his feet, runs nice routes. X (Xavier Restrepo), he’s playing slot, reminds me of (Braxton) Berrios. He’s really tough… I’m taking all the guys under my wing, showing them the way.”

A fourth freshman WR, Michael Redding, has been on the practice field, but is a limited participant with a wrist injury.

“He works hard,” Harley said of Redding. “He has a little bruise right now, but he’ll be ready for fall camp.”

Redshirt freshman WR Jeremiah Payton is just behind the starters and is pushing for a large role in 2020.

**Working in a new offense for the third straight season, junior WR Dee Wiggins feels offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee’s system is the most up-tempo scheme he’s ever played in.

“We’ll get tired, but it’s a process thing,” Wiggins said. “As days go by, we have to get better at conditioning. It’ll only get us better… It’s only Day 2 and we’re getting the hang of it. We just have to take it day by day and keep working.”

Wiggins also mentioned that there is less pre-snap movement compared to Dan Enos’ offense in 2019, and also said there are “way more deep shots” in the Lashlee offense.

“It’s not as confusing as everybody moving around and stuff like that, because we have a fast-tempo offense,” Wiggins said. “You get in your spot, you just go. Everybody feels comfortable with the offense. We just have to buckle up for the tempo and go.”

Another big component of Lashlee’s spread attack? Establishing an explosive running game, and Wiggins said the team is relying on junior Cam Harris to lead the way in that area.

“The running game is very important,” Wiggins said. “If there’s no running game we can’t pass the ball. [Harris is] the starter now. It’s on him to lead the young guys. It’s on him to work hard every play, go 110% every play.”

The Canes will be losing a lot of production from last year, with two of UM’s three leading receivers headed to the NFL in KJ Osborn and Jeff Thomas.

“We all need to take our game to another level heading into this season,” Wiggins said. “Last season, we didn’t have a great season. So it’s time for a change. It’s our turn to be leaders… I need to step up as a leader now, be more vocal. And after practice, get in there on everybody, the whole team, not just the receivers. We’re only going to get better if we get extra work.”

Wiggins ang Harley have more drops than catches so fuq their opinions and prove on the fuqin’ field

Advertisement
Back