Harbaugh Article - The BOT needs to pay attention

Advertisement
The remaking of the Michigan football program began in, of all places, Columbus, Ohio.

Interim athletic director Jim Hackett, on the job just under a month, was in the area for the Michigan-Ohio State football game Nov. 29 and arrived a few days earlier to visit relatives.

Instead of engaging his family and friends, he spent significant time alone, eventually deciding to fire then-coach Brady Hoke, ending what he called the era of experimentation.

"What did the institution need?" Hackett said Friday in an extended interview on the "Huge Show" radio program. "I came away thinking, UM can't afford to experiment more. If you look at the last seven years starting with Rich Rod's arrival – Brady had a good year in there, but there was a seven-year period where it felt like these were experiments, we weren't sure were going to turn out. So there was a gradual decay of 'something' because of that. You can call that fan support, you can call that winning, you can call it enthusiasm for Michigan's history. This is the winningest program ever in this sport and it carried the day for a long time. It certainly wasn't behaving that way now, though.

"The final junction of this weekend, that Sunday night I called the president (Mark Schlissel) and told him that I don't think we can experiment anymore. That's the thing that led me to thinking about the next candidate. If there's someone at an upstart program that has great promise and is very young, probably wouldn't cost as much. I didn't think Michigan could take that risk."

"(Jim) was willing to consider Michigan if he could get comfortable that Brady had been taken care of and wanted to make sure I didn't do something rash," Hackett said. "We started to talk about the program in ways. Now, as I'm experiencing what he's doing, I'm really glad we started there."

Comparing it to courting his wife, Hackett said, "That's what I wanted. I wanted to know him at a much more intimate level before I took the next step."

There were similar conversations occurring with other candidates, not to string them along but to have a relationship if they became Hackett's choice. This was important given he had not offered or specifically discussed the open job and future with Harbaugh.

Hackett knew that if Harbaugh or the other NFL or candidates coaching in major bowls were restricted by their timeline, he would have to make a decision. With Harbaugh, he figured he would at least need a promise and expectation with his word for U-M to wait through a possible playoff run.

But it was never verbalized to Harbaugh because it didn't have to be. The 49ers were eliminated from playoff contention with a Dec. 14 loss to the Seattle Seahawks and the wheels were quickly in motion.

"The minute we learned the 49ers weren't going to make it, I called their organization and said I would like to talk to him," Hackett said of reaching out to 49ers owner Jed York. "There's a gentleman's decorum in this sport. I like it … Jed said, 'I don't mind if you talk to him, but I'd like to talk to him first.' Once those traps had been cleared, so to speak, I had these discussions about Michigan. I had not talked to Jim about the job. Once I got Jed's OK, then we started more serious negotiations. Up until knowing the playoff (situation), there was no offer, there was no financials. It was just two people."

Hackett began to move in other areas as well.

DETROIT FREE PRESS
Full list: Michigan's recruits (with highlight videos)

He approached the U-M Board of Regents and Schlissel about the money necessary to land a high-level coach, though he didn't specifically say it would be Harbaugh. He figured they had a good idea when he told them "the kind of people we were after."

From there the sides kept coming together, already with a bond built before an offer was there.

According to Hackett, even though the financial figures were being traded back and forth between the sides, Harbaugh refused to agree to any deal until the 49ers' season was officially over.

Yet as he was in the locker room following the final game against Arizona on Dec. 28, the deal was being exchanged.

Hackett got a bit concerned with the actual contract as they reached the final days.

"We had this comical thing, where I was flying back from California – another part where I was doing something else -- I can't get my computer to work on the airplane," he said. "I get to the hotel and they don't have .pdf software on their business computer. It was a disaster. I'm trying to get in front of him my signed document that I've agreed to. The great news about that, the iPhone, I was able to take a picture of the contract and text it to one of his colleagues that was helping. After that last game … he signs the deal Monday and gets on a plane to come to the press conference."

Even that Monday (Dec. 29), though Hackett was confident, he also understood it wasn't done until signed.

He knew that Monday other NFL teams were officially allowed to talk to Harbaugh and feared someone making a massive contract offer that could sway Harbaugh.

But his confidence in the deal came from a few areas – Harbaugh's honor that he had seen, Harbaugh's insistence that he did not want to be college football's highest-paid coach and that Hackett had been the one pushing the ball forward with Harbaugh during the conversations, initially telling him that he needed to decide on college vs. the pros before getting deep into the Michigan decision. So he believed that had already been decided in Harbaugh's mind.

It's a mind that fascinates Hackett, who has dealt with business titans and still sees Harbaugh as unique.

"One of the things I learned about him and love about him is this is a very cerebral guy," Hackett said. "He doesn't talk in anecdotes. He's not passive about wanting to understand things. He slows things down in a way that makes the intensity go up. He really understands every nook and cranny of something, he has an amazing skill to focus. I don't know Tiger Woods, but I hear he has that skill. I don't know the famous downhill skiers, but I hear the best people in sport are like this … competitors."

From Day 1, Hackett apparently had a plan, one that he believed in and was finally validated when the hiring occurred.

"A famous broadcaster that the world would recognize, who's not on sports anymore, said to me, 'You didn't get a great coach, you got the best coach in football today,' " Hackett said. "When he told me that, I had to decide whether to land on this seven-year deal and when I heard that, (I thought) that's what I need to know.

"We're not taking the risk of an experiment here."

Harbaugh is not for us. He doesn't run the spread and everyone on the board seems to think that with "Miami" talent, the spread is the only way to go. Plus the BOT would never hire him. His defense hurts everyone's felling with all the shutouts. We can't have that. People will hate us again.

Advertisement
We are in the same spot and I hope that everyone knows that. A little easier for them obviously. You see USC rumor being guys like Mora, Brian Kelly, Peterson, Sumlin, Carroll. We need to be looking at similar quality names. We need to have Chuck Pagano, and Chip Kelly on our list.

It's a process to rebuild a college football program. It takes at least three years, maybe five, to judge what you have, change a program's mentality, bring in your own players, implement your system and then start winning. That's what coaches have been telling bosses, antsy alumni and frantic fanbases for years, anyway. It buys them time.

Well, Jim Harbaugh is ruining things for all coaches.

Tuesday was Harbaugh's 40-day anniversary of his first game there as coach. Forty days. And already, the Wolverines are the best team in the Big Ten. Yes, the Wolverines, losers last year who fired coach Brady Hoke, are already better than Ohio State, which was supposed to be a no-brainer to repeat as the national champ.

Sorry, Michigan State fans, but Michigan is already better than your team, too. At least your team has a roster full of injuries that you can use to explain away what's going to happen this Saturday in Ann Arbor.

Just think about who's noticing Harbaugh's immediate success: all the same boosters and athletic directors who are also noticing how much money is pouring into the sport because of the new playoff system.

This isn't the best news for Charlie Strong. He saved his job for now with Saturday's upset of Oklahoma, but Texas is still 2-4; are the boosters really going to give him a third year if he can't make a bowl game while Harbaugh has Michigan instantly in national-championship contention?

How soon will there be trouble for Mike Riley, who's 2-4 in his first year at Nebraska? Lane Kiffin didn't make it through four seasons at USC, and Steve Sarkisian didn't make it through two; the next non-interim coach is going to be dealing with that history plus the Harbaugh effect. Why can't we turn things around right away, like Michigan did?

Everyone expected Harbaugh to be a miracle-worker, but that meant two years, at least. Not a matter of weeks.

But here we are, with Michigan looking like it could get some of that playoff money in year one.

So, how is he 5-1 with mostly the same roster that went 5-7 for Hoke last year? The simplest answer is that the players buy into Harbaugh, which allows them to buy into themselves.

To Gerry DiNardo, former LSU and Indiana coach and current analyst at the Big Ten Network, it's also about X's and O's. Habits are hard to break, and DiNardo still studies the same tapes the coaches look at. On Monday, he broke away from studying Nebraska tape to talk about Harbaugh.

"Today, if you wear a visor and run the spread [offense], you're a genius,'' DiNardo said sarcastically. "What Harbaugh is doing runs contrary to that.

"The thing that interests me is that in the day and age of spread, everybody thinks the spread's the best creative thing going, but most everybody's running the same spread and there's very little creativity within the spread. What appears to be perhaps old-fashioned in what Jim is doing, in my opinion, is very creative.''

What DiNardo described Harbaugh doing was roughly the opposite of spreading the offense across the field. He said Harbaugh has been using a second tight end and then putting him in the backfield with a tailback and fullback. Then, at times, the tight end and fullback attack the line of scrimmage near the center, creating different gaps for the defense to have to fill and even different blocking angles for the offensive line.

These are the types of things that pass for exciting to coaches. DiNardo said one of the big criticisms of Michigan under Hoke was that the offensive line wasn't improving. He said the line always had talented players but now is more developed and is running schemes that confuse defenses.

"These are things I didn't see when I was coaching,'' he said. "And I coached for a long time.''

So, just like that, Michigan is better. But does DiNardo agree with me that Michigan is already the best team in the Big Ten?

"It's possible, but I don't think they are,'' he said. "I still think Ohio State's the best team, Michigan State's the second-most talented team and Michigan is the third-most talented. But do I think they're in the conversation? Yes, I do.''

Well, a computer rankings system on Football Outsiders, which tries to use Moneyball-like analytics to rank teams, has Michigan No. 3 in the country, after Clemson then Alabama. Ohio State is No. 15, and Michigan State No. 23. And while Ohio State and Michigan State keep squeaking past mediocre teams, Michigan has three shutouts in row, two against nationally ranked teams.

The Associated Press poll still has Ohio State at No. 1, Michigan State at No. 7 and Michigan at No. 12. But that has to do with the awkward spot of being roughly at midseason. You start the year ranking teams on spec and then slowly replace that with performance.

Most expectations at Michigan were for a mediocre year. Then it lost its first game to a Utah team that was picked by media to finish fifth in the Pac-12 South. No one realized at the time that that was a loss to one of the best teams in the country. Utah now is ranked fourth by the AP and is ninth using Football Outsiders' rankings.

AP voters are still trying to adjust their thoughts and match them with reality, which has changed so much since that loss.

Harbaugh—and, in fairness, Jim McElwain at Florida, too—is showing that you can build a program in less time than it takes for AP voters to adjust their rankings. That's a lot of pressure on every coach around the country that's selling the it-takes-time mantra.

Harbaugh is also showing the value of a coach who wows an introductory press conference with his name alone. It's not just his X's and O's making the difference. When he walked in the door, he wowed Michigan's own players and immediately replaced the defeated attitude in the locker room.

It didn't work that way for, say, Charlie Strong at Texas, where big boosters were publicly talking about buying themselves a Nick Saban. Those boosters made it clear they never wanted Strong, and that message went right to the locker room, telling players they had a second-tier coach.

It has all fit together perfectly for Harbaugh. Miracles happen.

Just don't look for other coaches to admit it.

Wait.

I keep hearing the pups here saying we MUST run the MODERN spread - and Harbaugh's not running the spread? OMG!

And Michigan didn't want to roll the dice on their hire and EXPERIMENT again? OMG!

Either Michigan and Harbaugh are frauds, or the pups here who want something new and unproven are wrong. Gee, let me think . . .

I love it. I love how he turned the CFB upside down, proving that you can turn a team around in your first season (both at Michigan and at SF). No longer can new coaches hide under the "it'll take me a few years to get this right again." Alf should take an example of how good coaching can overcompensate for lack of talent - something he has no idea how to do.

Advertisement
Harbaugh is not for us. He doesn't run the spread and everyone on the board seems to think that with "Miami" talent, the spread is the only way to go. Plus the BOT would never hire him. His defense hurts everyone's felling with all the shutouts. We can't have that. People will hate us again.

Comparing Harbaugh to any non-spread guys on our list is disingenuous. Harbaugh is one of the best 5 coaches in football.

F*** The BOT's, F*** Blake James. We need a real coach, those S*** bags should have hired Jon Gruden when they had the chance, we'd have 2 F****ing ships by now...and yes im ****ed.

Anyone remember Chud lining Shockey up in the backfield in the 2001 Rose Bowl?

Come on man....Chud is the guy. An offensive genius.

F*** The BOT's, F*** Blake James. We need a real coach, those S*** bags should have hired Jon Gruden when they had the chance, we'd have 2 F****ing ships by now...and yes im ****ed.

Word. Although I wouldn't have self-censored there...if you feel it let it roll, brother.

Advertisement
Michigan made some hires that didn't pan out. The fact remains that they have always had staying a power football program on their mind.

Miami hasn't been trying to win. They have only cared about sweeping dirt under the rug and promote greater learning.

The thing is, Golden isn't a "real" football coach. Sure he like many people that have played football can run drills and call plays, but only a few good ones can organize a group of football players into a mechanism of precision and execution. Golden is better fit to write books on football theory as opposed to being what he's had the opportunity to do- and that's be a decent football coach. He just isn't! No further discussion needed! He can't properly recruit, poor evaluations, no eye for talent, his methods are too soft, terrible at x' and o's and even worse game day coach, unable to match any coach in the top 25, never beaten a ranked team and full of nothing but excuses. Fire his *** already!

"at Texas, where big boosters were publicly talking about buying themselves a Nick Saban."

UM has to be of the same mindset as Texas [and Michigan, and Bama before that*] where they'd feel that they have to go after the surest thing, as in Nick Saban who has experience coaching at Sun Life, and thus get the surest best coach that money can buy.

I think an investment in Nick Saban of say 1O,OOO,OOO dollars plus 2-3,OOO,OOO more for any staff that Saban would see fit, for winning championship and recruiting, would be worth the extremely high returns such moves would bring to the coffers of the University of Miami.

Even though I think that Butch Davis could bring UM to compete for Championships, I think that Nick Saban is the one coach in America that can double UM forChampionships AND fill Sun-Life Stadium with all UM fans and Dolphins fans. Fans would forgive Nick for leaving Dolphins seeing how sorry an owner Ross. Ross was eve supporting for Harbaugh to go to his alma mater than to come to his Dolphins.

UM won championships before but still never filled their stadium. I guarantee you that with the media mastermind and press-managing Saban bringing Championships to UM, Dolphins would absolutely gravitate to Sun-Life Stadium for great winning Football because Dolphins are guaranteed to suck for more years to come!

*Please note that, unlike Texas, we have our own surest Nick Saban, as in Butch Davis is our own.
Michigan, obviously, also had their own Nick Saban in Jim Harbaugh. So, if we'd want to talk about a Nick Saban, we can do the Michigan thing and pull our Butch Davis.

Advertisement

One reason I liked the banner that said:

MAKE MIAMI GREAT AGAIN -- BUTCH DAVIS 2016

is because Greatness is inconsistent with Al Golden corching and UM BoT & Admin Football direction for the last 3 hires. As that now-abandoned banner indicated, we want to return to Championships competition in playoffs year in and year out. Just imagine that if we had playoffs back in the days and couldn't be cheated of the Title game, we'd have about 9-11 Championships!

Yes, I believe that Butch Davis could get us there. However, considering that this sucking BoT has this neurotic make up that they don't want to touch and may well NOT TOUCH Butch Davis, then we have to go for the whole enchilada that is Nick Saban.

If we go after Nick Saban, and we should, it is 11O% consistent with seeking Championships and the benefits, notoriety, and royalties they'd bring to the University.

UM should put feelers for Nick Saban. If we get him, great.

If we don't get Nick Saban, then we go full throttle for Butch Davis

Folks are acting like Harbaugh is breaking new territory - a coach from the future.

UM was doing a lot of that stuff in the day - we were the innovators as we had the talent, speed, quickness, and grit to spare.

What about Bob Stoops? Anyone think that would be a good hire? Give him South Florida talent, would he win big again.

Advertisement
Back