Hal Mumme and The Pirate

Advertisement
Thanks for post. I didn't know where all this spread up tempo stuff came from.

"Let me diagram some plays here," he says. "I love this play. This is called the mesh. I once called this 53 consecutive times in a game."

I love reading about Mumme and Leach, those guys are crazy funny.

I just want Mumme to come listen to Jimmy Buffett and spend 6 days a week in Key West and call 3 plays over and over with our talent. Don't need him to recruit. Got plenty of dudes who can do that.

Advertisement
All those guys at one time were on the staff at Valdost State when I was a student/athlete there. Hal Mumme, Mike Leach, Tony Franklin, Guy Morrison, and Dana Holgerson (Grad. Asst.). What a KRAZY (at he time, lol) offense those guys built! Chris Hatcher (Harlon Hill Trophy winner) was our QB.

Advertisement
I actually thought we revolutionized college football in the 1980s - wish bone to pro-style, but what do I know.

I look at offenses like Oregon's and Auburn and they are no different schematically then 90's Nebraska, the only difference is tempo. The correlation runs similar to 3 wide, 1 back offenses which are like our offense under Erikson but again with a quicker tempo. However, teams who have a gifted athlete at QB will also run a little read option out of it.

I remember when Mumme was at UK, he was playing at the swamp against uf. They scored late to make it something like 52-35 Gaytors, Hal pointed at scoreboard to taunt spurrier . He took a moral victory putting up 30 + points .

No ***** were given that he was down three td's.

All those guys at one time were on the staff at Valdost State when I was a student/athlete there. Hal Mumme, Mike Leach, Tony Franklin, Guy Morrison, and Dana Holgerson (Grad. Asst.). What a KRAZY (at he time, lol) offense those guys built! Chris Hatcher (Harlon Hill Trophy winner) was our QB.

when were you there? I played at UNA...hated playing at Valdosta

Advertisement
Brings back such awesome memories. I loved betting against that guy and his pantyhose offense. Every simpleton praised the schemes while all it did was create a cupcake team that was easily squashed by anyone of bare minimal competence.

My favorite every year was Tennessee against Kentucky. You could plan your entire betting year around that game. It was always at the end of the season when Kentucky was wilting even more than normal. Tennessee was in an uptick period in that late '90s stretch and they thrilled to embrace the bully role when available. The Volunteers mauled Hal Mumme every time and not one of them was even remotely close to the pointspread.

By his final season, virtually every opponent was doing that to Kentucky. I guess a dozen or so years removed we're supposed to forget how fragile and pathetic his teams were and now the sap coddled versions show up.

The one thing I'll say in Mumme's defense is he ran the ball more often than Leach does. Mumme would generally reach the mid 20s in rushing attempts.

So Hal Mumme is some innovative genius who should be calling our plays, but instead, he has spent the last six years at McMurry and Belhaven.

Please tell me that we're talking about two different people.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back