Had no idea RJ McIntosh's brother plays for ND

MiamiVice7

Senior
Miami-Notre Dame 2017: Brothers R.J., Deon McIntosh have trash-talking rivalry | Canes Watch

Deon McIntosh. Apparently he's a sophomore back-up RB and he's had some success this season. Not sure if I missed it, but that's news to me.

CORAL GABLES — Josh Adams and Brandon Wimbush get a lot of attention for their ability to run the ball, and rightfully so.

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz called Adams, Notre Dame’s top running back, “not a good player — a great player.” Wimbush is one of the best rushing quarterbacks in the land.

But the Irish also give carries to an up-and-coming sophomore. He wears No. 38, stands about 5-foot-11 and 193 pounds, and is “fast” and “quick,” according to one of the Hurricanes determined to shut him down.

“He’s a good player,” said R.J. McIntosh, Miami’s rising star defensive tackle. “I grew up with him. We’re going to handle him, too.”

No. 38 is Deon McIntosh, his 20-year-old brother. He has 367 yards and five touchdowns on 64 carries this year, which ranks third on the team in all categories.

Both brothers, who played at Cardinal Gibbons High in Fort Lauderdale, have earned accolades this year.

R.J., a junior, leads the nation in pass break-ups by a defensive lineman (six), and was named ACC defensive lineman of the week after recording 11 tackles, a PBU and a tackle for loss in UM’s Oct. 28 win at North Carolina. He also made a highlight-reel play last week against Virginia Tech, recovering a fumble and barreling 35 yards up the field.

Notre Dame, which leans more on Adams and Wimbush (combined 1,830 yards, 22 touchdowns on 238 carries), named Deon its offensive player of the game Oct. 8, after he put up 124 rushing yards and two touchdowns at UNC.

R.J., who is a year older, five inches taller and 100 pounds heavier, can’t wait to get his hands on him Saturday (8 p.m., ABC) — even though their mom is begging him not to.

“She’s always telling me, don’t hurt her baby,” he said. “My dad is a Hurricanes fan. He wants us to win.”

He’s not the only UM fan in the family.

Their younger brother, Kenny, is one of the top prospects in the country for 2019. Rivals rates him No. 3 among all-purpose athletes, and 49th overall, in his class. Kenny (6-0, 205), who plays running back and receiver at Davie-University School, has not made a college commitment, but plans to attend the game as a recruit. Last month, he visited Notre Dame, UM and Florida State. Saturday, he told Canesport he’s “Miami all the way,” and predicts a 32-28 Hurricanes victory.

In the brotherly group chat, Kenny said, the two gang up on Deon (who Notre Dame didn’t make available to reporters this week). The middle brother has plenty to say, but the biggest McIntosh believes he’ll have the final word.

“He trash-talks,” R.J. said. “He tries to get in my head. It’s going to be fun.

“He tries to pick on me. I pick on him. Very confident in our teams. I’ll be trash-talking out there to him, definitely.”

Advertisement
Aren't the McIntoshes Irish? It would make sense that at least one would go to Notre Dame.

Advertisement
Their dad is a huge Canes fan and said his allegiance will be.. Kinda strange rooting against one of his kids, but whatever.. must be a Miami thing. RJ seems like a really good kid.

Their dad is a huge Canes fan and said his allegiance will be.. Kinda strange rooting against one of his kids, but whatever.. must be a Miami thing. RJ seems like a really good kid.

Yeah it's a "Miami thing", why are all Irish fans so smug about everything?

Advertisement
I asked Kenny before the season started: Huge whole opens up Deon on one side and RJ on the other two yards for the first down... who wins.... Kenny starts laughing right away... tough questions but he says Deon is gonna try him... but RJ is going to win

Yup.....and you wouldn't understand.

I asked Kenny before the season started: Huge whole opens up Deon on one side and RJ on the other two yards for the first down... who wins.... Kenny starts laughing right away... tough questions but he says Deon is gonna try him... but RJ is going to win

Gotta be a tough situation. Just pray they both come out healthy... and RJ with the W.

Advertisement

Bennie Blades can tell him how to handle your younger brother -- beat him senseless on the field and in the locker room afterward -- and that's if he is your teammate on the outside of the ball.

By the way, I am betting you and your boy are real glad he picked THE U. Defense reminds me more and more like the old ones every week.

I would root against my mom. She graduated from nc state and I talked trash to her all game.

Advertisement
By this time next year, they’ll be beating down the doors to come here.

Irish Fans Have no idea how bad it got here because you got to enjoy the championship run of the Mantai Irish (until they ran into Bama in the NC Game). Recruits would play Golden’s Canes off against FSU or Taint and we’d end up losing guys like Dalvin Cook.

Oddly enough, this is largely a Golden recruited team that Richt is working with, but the excitement he is building around the program will stop the kind of shenanigans that used to go on around here and allow UM to pick and choose recruits down here. It was always a matter of reestablishing a winning team and a prime time atmosphere for Kids to play in.

He said he was rooting for Miami to win. He didnt say he was rooting against his son.

Does anyone know why RJ's brother went to Notre Dame? Did we not recruit him?

Advertisement
Back