GUS EDWARDS $$$$$

Every running back you listed was a better college running back than Edwards. I don’t really care who’s the better pro running back. That’s like saying you’d rather have Chad Henne in college than Johnny Manziel because Henne has had a longer pro career. If this was an NFL board it would matter but we’re talking about college football here.

Fair points.

But I also think we are celebrating the fact that Gus is having NFL success after pretty much being written off by UM fans while he was at UM. And in that regard, it is fair to look at the NFL careers of our "more beloved" Miami running backs.

You are still correct in your points, but Gus may be smiling bigger than everyone else right now. Except maybe Duke, who I think will have a job again soon.

Advertisement
Miami fans hated him because he was a RB from New York. Local politics did him in here. He never received the benefit of the doubt vs the local RBs. He was never featured. The results elsewhere speaks for itself.
This guy is smart. Gus was just as good at Miami as he is now. None of those RB's was better then Gus at Miami except Duke. It was all politics, coaches and even players have told me such. Duke even told me Gus was the best RB on the roster after he left, I've mentioned this several times and posted highlight videos of Gus at Miami. Most Porsters cant get out of their mind that Gus got stood up at the goal line a few times his freshman year after that he improved tremendously. The foot injury did him in and he was never given a fair shake after that.

Fair points.

But I also think we are celebrating the fact that Gus is having NFL success after pretty much being written off by UM fans while he was at UM. And in that regard, it is fair to look at the NFL careers of our "more beloved" Miami running backs.

You are still correct in your points, but Gus may be smiling bigger than everyone else right now. Except maybe Duke, who I think will have a job again soon.
No argument. I have no problem with the guy having success or making money. I have a problem when his fans trash actual UM running backs to hype him up.

Rumors and innuendo aside, Gus Edwards had very average college numbers, even as the featured back in New Jersey. Maybe the monetary incentive of pro football got him motivated to play at his best because he wasn’t good enough of a college player to be drafted.

You weren't. He never ran consistently hard here. Never kept his pad level low. Got legitimately beat out by guys with less natural gifts. The light didn't go on until he got to Rutgers. And then went on even brighter when he got to the league. It happens sometimes.
Couldn’t disagree more you think yearby “beat him out”. He looked way better than yearby, the coaching staph just would never bench him.

Advertisement
Every running back you listed was a better college running back than Edwards. I don’t really care who’s the better pro running back. That’s like saying you’d rather have Chad Henne in college than Johnny Manziel because Henne has had a longer pro career. If this was an NFL board it would matter but we’re talking about college football here.
I don’t think yearby was better. I was a bus needs more carries guy while he was here. And if u actually look at Gus numbers while here (YPC) he should’ve gotten more opportunities. Then he had the foot injury that hindered him.

Miami fans hated him because he was a RB from New York. Local politics did him in here. He never received the benefit of the doubt vs the local RBs. He was never featured. The results elsewhere speaks for itself.
I think that played apart along with injury

yes sir...

Yearby a teachers assistant
Walton in and out of jail
Duke Unemployed
Homer 5th string RB

Gus signing 10 million dollar extensions

I can remember all the haters laughing at Me and my boy Gus...

Gus was the most talented running back on the roster after Duke Johnson.. he was more talented then Walton, Yearby and Homer. Some of these phaggot porsters still throwing underhanded compliments at my boy **** all yall. Much respect to those who admit they were wrong.

What did he do with his opportunities at Miami? Funny part is, when Gus was at Miami, and at Rutgers, I never said anything negative about him. I'm just making comparisons. He's doing stuff in the NFL that he didn't do at Miami.

Advertisement
I don’t think yearby was better. I was a bus needs more carries guy while he was here. And if u actually look at Gus numbers while here (YPC) he should’ve gotten more opportunities. Then he had the foot injury that hindered him.
Yeah, he probably didn’t get enough carries to make a judgment but the reason he had a good ypc was because most of his work came against terrible teams. Outside of a 2014 game against Virginia Tech where he ran for 115 yards on 20 carries, his biggest games were against Savanna State and Florida A&M.

Couldn’t disagree more you think yearby “beat him out”. He looked way better than yearby, the coaching staph just would never bench him.
Ok then disagree. Yearby was more productive and consistent, despite having a fraction of the natural physical tools and talent. That's kind of the point.

Let's keep it real. He never got enough carries to be consistent. Would have liked to have seen what he could do when he was named the starter, but had the season ending foot injury. We are so enamored with flashy backs, that we forget about the power. And before anyone denounces him as a power runner, let's understand that the blocking wasn't very good and he was mostly used in predictable short yardage situations. A bigger guy needs a little more sustained initial blocking while smaller guys can just make people miss.

I was one that always saw his potential as most guys his size don't run that fast. I'm very happy for Gus and his family.
I disagree. He had his moments in prime time and put up numbers in garbage time but they tried to make him a short yardage/goal line back and he didn't finish runs. He got stuffed on 3rd and 4th and short a bunch of times and other times left tons of yards on the field. He underperformed here, period.

I disagree. He had his moments in prime time and put up numbers in garbage time but they tried to make him a short yardage/goal line back and he didn't finish runs. He got stuffed on 3rd and 4th and short a bunch of times and other times left tons of yards on the field. He underperformed here, period.
I wouldn't say underperformed. I would say underutilized.

It was a common theme here during the Golden years. He played here for 3 full seasons in 4 years and only had 1 start. He suited up for 36 games and only had 186 carries (5.1 carries per game, never more than 12 in a game). He finished with a 5.3 YPC average.

Advertisement
I wouldn't say underperformed. I would say underutilized.

It was a common theme here during the Golden years. He played here for 3 full seasons in 4 years and only had 1 start. He suited up for 36 games and only had 186 carries (5.1 carries per game, never more than 12 in a game). He finished with a 5.3 YPC average.
Richt had him for a season too and wasn't any more impressed.

You weren't. He never ran consistently hard here. Never kept his pad level low. Got legitimately beat out by guys with less natural gifts. The light didn't go on until he got to Rutgers. And then went on even brighter when he got to the league. It happens sometimes.
His coaching and mentorship was bad at UM...dude probably never liked the heat.

Either way. Yeah this is the guy that we all love to follow and call a Cane even though he left.

Im on the other side of that opinion. Gus Edwards looked like doo doo his entire time at UM. Dude was soft and never played anywhere close to his hype (potential).

Advertisement
Ok then disagree. Yearby was more productive and consistent, despite having a fraction of the natural physical tools and talent. That's kind of the point.
No disrespect to you but no s*** yearby was more productive, he got the touches!

This guy is smart. Gus was just as good at Miami as he is now. None of those RB's was better then Gus at Miami except Duke. It was all politics, coaches and even players have told me such. Duke even told me Gus was the best RB on the roster after he left, I've mentioned this several times and posted highlight videos of Gus at Miami. Most Porsters cant get out of their mind that Gus got stood up at the goal line a few times his freshman year after that he improved tremendously. The foot injury did him in and he was never given a fair shake after that.

No disrespect to you but no s*** yearby was more productive, he got the touches!
I can see it being true about politics. There’s probably a lot of pressure to play local kids out of feeder schools because of future pipeline.

Richt had him for a season too and wasn't any more impressed.
Richt has also coached some of the best running backs in the modern game during his time at Georgia but for some reason he forgot everything when it came to Gus Edwards.

Deejay Dallas also managed to earn a ton of playing time despite not being a local guy so miss me with that local player politics argument. The coaches aren’t purposely sitting a star player to play a weaker player because he’s a local kid. If that was the case, Choc Gray would have actually gotten carries at Miami.

Advertisement
Back