GUS EDWARDS $$$$$

Advertisement
"The Ravens and restricted free agent running back Gus Edwards reached a two-year extension worth $10 million, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, per agent Drew Rosenhaus." -- NFL.com
I want to be the FIRST to say I WAS WRONG on Gus .
When a young man like Gus or Zion proves against all odds to have a heart of a WARRIOR.

My hat is off and over my heart, I was so wrong good for him.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Sucks for all you "J.K. Dobbins is my sleeper fantasy player", though I do wonder what it takes to get to his $10 million. "Worth" 10 and "guaranteed" 10 ain't the same thing.

And cudos to BlackVern.

When a young man like Gus or Zion proves against all odds to have a heart of a WARRIOR.

GOCANES
You weren't. He never ran consistently hard here. Never kept his pad level low. Got legitimately beat out by guys with less natural gifts. The light didn't go on until he got to Rutgers. And then went on even brighter when he got to the league. It happens sometimes.

Advertisement
Sucks for all you "J.K. Dobbins is my sleeper fantasy player", though I do wonder what it takes to get to his $10 million. "Worth" 10 and "guaranteed" 10 ain't the same thing.

And cudos to BlackVern.

What it takes to get his $10 million? It's called "being on the roster". Playing.

Gus is getting $3.4 million for 2021. His extension takes him through 2023. So, on average, $5 million per year.

Play, don't get hurt, stay on the roster. For a running back, I wouldn't expect much, if any, to be guaranteed. And it's an extension, so no "signing bonus". Seems team-friendly, a modest raise, and nothing to amortize.

Advertisement
What it takes to get his $10 million? It's called "being on the roster". Playing.

Gus is getting $3.4 million for 2021. His extension takes him through 2023. So, on average, $5 million per year.

Play, don't get hurt, stay on the roster. For a running back, I wouldn't expect much, if any, to be guaranteed. And it's an extension, so no "signing bonus". Seems team-friendly, a modest raise, and nothing to amortize.
So it takes $3.4 in year one, plus incentives, plus an undisclosed 2022 guarantee, plus incentives, to reach $10 million over two years. That is not an average of actually getting $5 million per year. That is agent speak to make the contract look as large as possible.

I hope he gets it, but let's not pretend he gets $5 million per year for "being on the roster" and "being on the roster" equals "playing" and "playing" equals meeting all possible incentives.

Plus I bet he does not have a "fully guaranteed" $3.4 in year one. Hope he does, but doubt it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You weren't. He never ran consistently hard here. Never kept his pad level low. Got legitimately beat out by guys with less natural gifts. The light didn't go on until he got to Rutgers. And then went on even brighter when he got to the league. It happens sometimes.
What if I told you Gus the bus was thrown under the bus at the U..that Gus numbers were better at Miami in a limited role then at at Rutgers..that sometimes the grass isn’t always greener away from green tree

30 for 30 a original ESPN production: Gus the bus. A story about how he **** on CIS RB experts

Last edited:
So it takes $3.4 in year one, plus incentives, plus an undisclosed 2022 guarantee, plus incentives, to reach $10 million over two years. That is not an average of actually getting $5 million per year. That is agent speak to make the contract look as large as possible.

I hope he gets it, but let's not pretend he gets $5 million per year for "being on the roster" and "being on the roster" equals "playing" and "playing" equals meeting all possible incentives.

Plus I bet he does not have a "fully guaranteed" $3.4 in year one. Hope he does, but doubt it.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote.

He is already under his ORIGINAL contract for the 2021 season. He will get the $3.4 million for THIS year. The $10 million is for 2022 and 2023. Hence, the 2-year extension which will average $5 million per season.

I'm not sure where you think all the "incentives" are coming from. This isn't 1985 any longer. Salary cap rules and other requirements limit the role of "incentives" as forms of payment. Incentives can trigger other things, such as money becoming guaranteed, but nobody can trick the Salary Cap Gods by giving a guy a contract that pays solely on performance.

Yes, once a guy is on the roster and makes the team, he has a salary for that year. If he gets injured, the team still pays him for that year and gets insurance to cover the balance. They could then cut the player and not be on the hook for the salary for future years.

What I am saying is that if Gus is getting $3.4 million for 2021 under his original contract, based on how well he has performed, he is not taking a pay cut, and he is not signing for two more years at the same base salary amount (plus $1.5 million of "incentives"). The current NFL pay system largely divides money into base salary and "signing" or "roster" bonuses, which are amounts that may need to be amortized over multiple years (thus, the term "cap hit", which describes money that was already paid, but must be counted in a different year).

The concept of "guaranteed" money means money in a future year that is guaranteed to a player regardless of whether he is on the roster. If the Vikings cut Kirk Cousins tomorrow, they would still owe him money for future years, but the same is not true if the Vikings cut another player with no guaranteed money.

If the Ravens signed Gus to an extension, it is possible that there are no additional roster bonuses, so that they can spread out the initial signing bonus over more years (2022 and 2023). Thus, in the final analysis, it seems likely that the extension would be two additional years of salary only (say, 4.5 million for 2022 and 5.5 million for 2023). If Gus is on the opening day roster, he earns that amount for the year.

GOCANES
Not sure we can put Zion in that category just yet.

Advertisement
Back