X's and O's Guidry's Multiple Nickel Defense: The Basics

View as article
Wow, this is incredible work 💪🏼

Reading this is one of many good reminders about why I sucked at playing football. Great work.

Man winning has really inspired some elite work from the people on this board

Thank you for this

Incredible knowledge and insight OP. Much appreciated.

Nice work @WestEndzone …

Good thread.
Defense made me fall in love with the game many years ago.
Offense is like candy. It is nice to eat but does not have the true substance like Defense does.

Love the breakdown. Thanks for this.

Specifically, regarding terminology, my favorite from the entire read is your use of the phrase "OJO"... well done sir.
Thanks, guys.

Don’t forget to post your questions, curiosities, or doubts. I want to make follow-up posts where I build or expand on these topics.

Advertisement
@WestEndzone this was awesome. Thanks man.

In your opinion what do we lack that would take this defense to another level personnel wise? Just curious as to what you think is needed recruiting or portal wise?
I mentioned in the podcast that’s the biggest problem was depth. I think we’re either thin or young a certain positions. It’s the biggest problem I see on a game to game basis.

On a bigger scale, obviously anyone could benefit from elite defensive linemen. That’s what separates the top handful of teams from the rest. It’s always going to be a struggle to find elite defensive tackles. Needless to say, Mario needs to execute on his promise to land “whales”.

I would also like to see us recruit and develop some elite cover corners. We don’t have a bona fide boundary corner. If we have that, our playbook opens up quite a bit and gives us more options to answers questions that offenses pose us.

The Star position also isn’t there yet. It’s difficult to really define that position, however. You see bigger and smaller guys both do very well. Also, Guidry has been substituting an extra linebacker against 12 and 21 personnel. Accordingly, I don’t know if Guidry doesn’t mind rolling with a more true Nickel like TC or if he wants a more versatile guy that lets him stay in nickel personnel.

The play calling in the 43 stuff has been very vanilla compared to the nickel stuff. Usually we’re in an under front playing Man-Free. Super easy to teach that. It’s almost like he’s just waiting for the offense to get back into their 10 or 11 personnel stuff so we can get back into nickel. Idk what he has envisioned.

Advertisement
Back