Coaching Guidry's defensive philosophy

It is weird that his Defense, to me, looks like what we actually expected from Steele?

I mean.. 4-2-5, aggressive, stand-up ends, DBs hovering around the LOS..
Didn't have the talent.
Didn't have the talent.
Didn't have the talent.
Didn't have the talent.
Didn't have the talent.

There has been a major upgrade on the overall talent on D......Offense as well. I there need to be continued efforts in that until we are two and three deep in each position where there is little to no drop off in talent.

Advertisement
@DMoney & @Lance Roffers break down Guidry's defense in an Emergency Podcast. OP has been updated with this info.

Three key highlights:

1. 9/9.5 on a scale of 10 of aggression.
2. What are the similarities with Manny's D? both focus on causing havoc for the offense.
3. What's the main difference with Manny's D? Guidry's D has guardrails in place to prevent explosive plays.

Discussion here

Last edited:
Schiano improved our defense in a hurry after Bill Miller. Literally Schiano’s first season at UM in 1999 was a vast improvement over 1998. And the scheme was completely different. It can happen quick if there is a great teacher and scheme.

24.8 pts per game in 1998, to 16.9 in 1999. Almost 7 pts less per game in 1 season from Miller to Schiano. You can argue whether 16.9 was elite but the difference from 1998 to 1999 is hard to overstate. It can be done.
It had alot to do with Butch as well, not just Schiano. Butch was at wits end with Bill Miller, who was a close friend.

Advertisement
I remember feeling this way about Blake Baker, please be different this time. Hope he’s the real deal !

The advanced metrics never liked Baker’s LT defenses.

Everybody loved that they ranked high in like havoc rate and such. And just ignored that, as a defense, they were fairly low rated.

Whereas last year’s Marshall defense was actually highly rated.

Advertisement
I don’t care about stats. Somebody once said “stats are for losers.” I need to see what Guidry’s defence does here on a consistent basis in order to be excited.

The more I see, the more I love this hire.
To the best of your knowledge, how easily do you think the players will be able to grasp/execute the major concepts required by this defense? Seems like the back 7 will have to communicate at a high level. I read your recent post overviewing how Steele couldn't essentially run his base package rip/liz cover 3 last year.

To the best of your knowledge, how easily do you think the players will be able to grasp/execute the major concepts required by this defense? Seems like the back 7 will have to communicate at a high level. I read your recent post overviewing how Steele couldn't essentially run his base package rip/liz cover 3 last year.
My kid at Tulane liked the guy, said it was simple to pick-up and he was sad to see him go.

Said it's a lot of Cover-4 (quarters).

I think we improve in 2023 by default. Doubt we have 5 games giving up 40 again.

Don't think the defense is an elite unit until 2024 at the earliest but likely 2025. It's not far off of Steele's defense but I'm not sure we have the overall length and strength you need to stand up your ends 70% of the time and get results. Until Kelly, Moss, Wayne, Acheampong are full grown and physically ready - Guidry isn't gonna be able to do what he wants to do.

Still too many tweeners and mediocre guys like Harvey and not enough size on the interior. Taylor needs to get in the 290s - he's struggling to get above 275 pounds. I think there's 1 guy above 290 on the entire defense and he's played less than 50 snaps. Mesidor is great but stand up is not his game. His game is hand in the ground, get off the ball with leverage, and get his hands on you.. yet he's not big enough to be one of the 2 down lineman.
I agree with what you're saying but Marshall was very small on the DL last year. 230lb DE's

Advertisement
In my non-expert opinion, from what I can tell, this looks like it may be the kind of defense that maybe gives up a little in the run game, especially TFL - in favor of doing a better job containing the short passing game and QB breakdown runs that often break our back on key 3rd and 4th downs. Which I am fine with if it works, considering the way almost 100% of the offenses we face play now. You can get away without a bunch of TFL, if you aren't getting consistently torched by swing passes.

Advertisement
Great?

Manny has always had early success, followed by terrible performances, as a DC. Let's wait more than one year to crown him.

His philosophy, to create havoc, usually leaves his safetys and LBs in bad positions, as we saw here. After some time seeing his defenses, teams usually adjust, ala UNC, and Manny usually doesn't.

I'm going to give big ten OCs one more season
Manny’s weakness is his inability to recruit. With good players, his defense is great. When he can’t recruit good players, his defense sucks. It’s got nothing to do with opponents “figuring it out”. The guy has close to 20 years worth of defenses on film. Opponents aren’t ignoring that.

Manny’s weakness is his inability to recruit. With good players, his defense is great. When he can’t recruit good players, his defense sucks. It’s got nothing to do with opponents “figuring it out”. The guy has close to 20 years worth of defenses on film. Opponents aren’t ignoring that.

Hmmmmm ok, can you explain his time at U of Texas then? He was the DC at Texas, with Mack Brown as HC. He had talent! At that time, Mack Brown was bringing talent to Austin. And still, over time, opposing Big12 OCs figured him out. There's even a viral video of Mack chewing him out and Diaz looking dumfolded as he couldn't stop the run against BYU ( similar to UNC). Mack fired his *** the next day.

Manny always starts with a flash and then fizzles. He wasn't at Mississippi State and Louisiana Tech long enough. But, we saw a repeat of his time in Austin, at U of Miami. After two season, we were getting our ish pushed in.

And, I'm going to take a leap of faith and assume the same will happen at Penn State.

UM had Top first round DL (GR15 anf JP15) during Mannys time here. He also had veteran LBs in Shaq and Pinckney (2 of our more productive LBs in the last decade). 2 first round DL and 2 4 year starters at LB. What DC would complain about that?

Now, I agree, Manny is not a strong recruiter. But, you suggestion was the 'talent' was Mannys issue. He signed players top CFB programs wanted as well. We all joke about this but, Gurvan Hall was one of Nick Sabans first visits while he was flying that helicopter all over Florida. I would say, if anything, Manny doesn't develop players. Shaq and Pinckney came in with the skills we saw on field. Beside GR15, nobody developed!

There are not many players who can say they reached their full potential with Manny Diaz as their position coach. To me, that's only half the story with Manny.

His scheme is trash. He needs old school LBs who can take on OL freely getting to the second level (Shaq). But, he can't recruit these type of LBs. He also need uber-active Safetys to clean everything up (Bubba). By that way, Bubba was also a nationally ranked recruit.

He had talent at UM and Texas. He couldn't coach it

Hmmmmm ok, can you explain his time at U of Texas then? He was the DC at Texas, with Mack Brown as HC. He had talent! At that time, Mack Brown was bringing talent to Austin. And still, over time, opposing Big12 OCs figured him out. There's even a viral video of Mack chewing him out and Diaz looking dumfolded as he couldn't stop the run against BYU ( similar to UNC). Mack fired his *** the next day.

Manny always starts with a flash and then fizzles. He wasn't at Mississippi State and Louisiana Tech long enough. But, we saw a repeat of his time in Austin, at U of Miami. After two season, we were getting our ish pushed in.

And, I'm going to take a leap of faith and assume the same will happen at Penn State.

UM had Top first round DL (GR15 anf JP15) during Mannys time here. He also had veteran LBs in Shaq and Pinckney (2 of our more productive LBs in the last decade). 2 first round DL and 2 4 year starters at LB. What DC would complain about that?

Now, I agree, Manny is not a strong recruiter. But, you suggestion was the 'talent' was Mannys issue. He signed players top CFB programs wanted as well. We all joke about this but, Gurvan Hall was one of Nick Sabans first visits while he was flying that helicopter all over Florida. I would say, if anything, Manny doesn't develop players. Shaq and Pinckney came in with the skills we saw on field. Beside GR15, nobody developed!

There are not many players who can say they reached their full potential with Manny Diaz as their position coach. To me, that's only half the story with Manny.

His scheme is trash. He needs old school LBs who can take on OL freely getting to the second level (Shaq). But, he can't recruit these type of LBs. He also need uber-active Safetys to clean everything up (Bubba). By that way, Bubba was also a nationally ranked recruit.

He had talent at UM and Texas. He couldn't coach it
His third year was his best defense here. Even his first year as HC, the defense was still good. 20 ppg and 309 ypg. It wasn’t until the 2020 season that it all crashed. That 2020 defense was when his players started taking over at linebacker and defensive back. Besides Phillips and Roche (both transfers btw) can you name a single effective player on that defense?

The idea that it takes years for opponents to “figure out” how to beat his defense is laughable. You don’t think Penn State’s opponents have bothered watching any of the film of his defenses before? You don’t think EVERY single OC that goes against him is trying to do exactly what North Carolina did? Eventually Manny’s recruits will take over at Penn State and their defense will suffer because he’s a poor recruiter and talent evaluator. It won’t be because big 10 teams finally figure out what other teams did for over a decade.

Advertisement
Back