Guidry

The creativity with the front four generates some base pressure without bringing anyone. The blitzes came quick and from different areas. By the 4th Quarter ATM still didn't know where they were coming from.

The biggest thing I've noticed these last couple of weeks: the tackling and pursuit in open space. It finally looks like fundamental football.
100 percent agree. We mixed it up really well. And if we brought extra blitzers, the package oftentimes created a clear road to the Qb. It all worked together.

Advertisement
I know I have ripped Manny Navarro and Bruce Feldman on several occasions, but for those who
are subscribed to "The Athletic", both of those writers wrote an interesting article on Guidry back on
02/13/2023.
To me what I found interesting was Guidry's various influences during his career.
For example, as the DB coach at Miami (Ohio) DB coach in 2009, he worked under veteran defensive coordinator Carl Reese,
who was big on using bear fronts and finding ways to counter power reads and zone reads.
According to article, Guidry said “When their guards would pull, we would pull and it kept evolving from there,”.
When he returned to his alma-mater McNeese State as the DC, he was tasked with evolving his defensive philosophy to contend
with Willie Fritz's Sam Houston offense, particularly their "unique" uses of his QBs in the running game.

From FAU he ended up on the FAU staff, reuniting with Willie Taggart and coaching safeties under Jim Leavitt under whom (per article)
he learned about using odd fronts and other NFL stuff working with Vic Fangio in San Francisco.

Article also details influences from former BallState/Army/UNC DC Jay Bateman, his old mentor at McNeese Scott Auker,
and former Marshall coach Bobby Pruett. How they helped him learn to defend option and various passing offenses and
how to keep things relatively simple for his players.

It's a good read too in the sense it demonstrates why one doesn't necessarily need to hire coaches from so-called "big-time"
programs to excell. A coach like Guidry has schemed against the Willie Fritzs, Jamey Chadwells, offenses as diverse as the Navy
triple-option and Western Kentucky's pass offense.

Anyways, sorry for long post but I commend Navarro and Feldman for that piece.

Advertisement
1694990952217.jpeg

Advertisement
Back