Guard Play

When looking at our biggest team needs for this offseason most think that CB, LB and WR are our most urgent needs. And you'd be right, those are major needs but I would argue that OG is just as big of a need if not more. Our guard play this season was average at best and poor the majority of the time. Clarke and Scaife underperformed most of the season. The run game, while improved, was still a disappointment and lead to our defense being on the field more.

Lashlee wants to be a power run team but the lack of push at the guard spot kills most drives for us. And now with King coming off a serious knee injury, we can't afford to run him as much and King was a huge part of our run game. Take away his rushing numbers and we are still a below-average rushing offense. King will be more of a pocket passer this upcoming season and teams will know this. We need to be more balanced and we need a strong run game to protect King, open up play-action passes downfield and eat the clock, protecting our defense.

If Donaldson comes back motivated and in condition, he will man one of the guard spots. And if Jarrid Williams returns we can kick Rivers inside to guard for his freshman season allowing him to gain experience before kicking back out to tackle in 2022.

If Jarrid Williams leaves then we need to get a guard from the portal. A people mover. Someone who is strong in run blocking.

King is not going to be the same player in 2021 that he was in 2020. He's coming off a serious knee injury and the best way to protect him is to run the ball better with our backs. Plus with Kosi gone we don't have any experience backing King up so keeping him healthy is paramount. And keeping our porous defense off the field is important. A stronger run game will cover a lot of the roster flaws we still have with this team on offense and defense.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Guard play was subpar.

We had A LOT of runs get blown up. We often couldn't get 1 or 2 yards when we needed it.

I know some advanced stats sites look at run stuff% (runs of 2 yards or less), and I would imagine we did not fare well in that category.

Donaldson coming back in shape would go a long way in helping the problem.
Gaynor was/is a problem as well. He gets knocked back and blown up a lot.

Advertisement
Back