GTech Week - Let's take a look

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
On offense:

In 2013, we only ran 53 plays against GTech. They had the ball for 36 minutes (60%). To be expected, mostly, considering what they do. However, I expect our plays to increase this year, hopefully into the 60 range. Coach Coley simply has to have a cleaner idea of what he wants to do and how. In the early portions of the game, he is seemingly in rhythm and it comes off as though he is working off a down/distance script. As the game progresses, I've seen a tendency to go back to either a play that worked earlier in the game or a play that worked in the past. It becomes a more "grab bag" feel. The hope is that, considering he's only called a little over a dozen games, this is just an area of improvement for him.

If we assume 60 plays on Saturday, what I'd do is trot this formation out at least 12-15 times:

VTech4WR.jpg

Ironically, this is the formation I'd use against our defense 30%+ of the time, but it's also what I'd use against GTech quite a bit. I have to imagine GTech will adjust a bit in anticipation of it. If they don't, however, we need to take full advantage of this and hopefully be more focused on two aspects:

1. The inside run game
2. RBs out of the flats

What we're likely to see:

GTech Single.jpg

My hope is that Coach Coley doesn't get too "clever" with what we do out of these (picture above) looks. Walford is going to potentially see a lot of favorable looks down the middle of the field. If he can continue to box out LBs well, I'd look for him to have a solid 6-7 catches on Saturday. Kaaya looks so clean on these throws, but I hope he's aware enough to stop staring down his targets.

What I'd also like to see out of this formation is Stacy Coley in the slot. No, not for another WR screen. But, instead to use his speed to put pressure on that Single high Safety by running Corner routes. In the picture above, imagine Dorsett at the top of the screen. He'll garner attention based simply on his speed. Imagine Walford in motion. Imagine Lewis at the very bottom of the screen (which often throws a defense off because it presents a WR screen tendency).

Put Stacy Coley in that slot at the bottom of the screen and run him on a corner route. If Kaaya looks to see if Dorsett is open for a split second, it should hold the Centerfielder long enough. It's worth a look to potentially get Coley out of his funk. If the Corner drops in Cover 3, the point is to have Lewis in a smash route Combo for an easy 8-10 (watch the flats coverage, Brad K.). It's a relatively safe combination route opportunity.

On defense:

This is about the most I expect Ga. Tech to spread us out consistently from a formation standpoint. They'll only spread out further in very narrow (desperate) instances. While their action is completely different and will test out our assignments, this isn't THAT different (formation and numbers-wise) from what we Cutcliffe inexplicably go to time and again this past Saturday, where he kept an inline TE or motion HBack for a large portion of their plays and went 3WR. It allowed us to bring down a Safety early and often without the late move down from a 2-Safety look. It allowed better leverage than what we saw against Nebraska, for example. Now, GTech's offense is obviously unique in what they do with what they're asking of their QB and backs - especially as they move back to the speed option.

GtechOffense 3WR.jpg

For those of you wondering "hey, but, Nebraska killed us in the run game" here's further evidence that the way they did it was different:

GTechHeavy.jpg

That's (above) is a 1st and 10 play down 10 points. D'Onofrio should feel pretty safe bringing down as many numbers as necessary.

More to be discussed, but my lunch is now over and I'll be back. All in all, we have to tackle (obviously) and we have to look out for WRs blocking/cutting (obviously), but I think this is a game we should win.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nice work Lu. You mention that Duke's formations allowed us the walk up our safety sooner than we did at Nebraska. Are you saying that movement was dictated by formation and not a concious decision by us to be more aggressive. I had noticed us walking Bush or Fentress up consistently against Duke and just assumed it was an adjustment to be more aggressive.

Nice work Lu. You mention that Duke's formations allowed us the walk up our safety sooner than we did at Nebraska. Are you saying that movement was dictated by formation and not a concious decision by us to be more aggressive. I had noticed us walking Bush or Fentress up consistently against Duke and just assumed it was an adjustment to be more aggressive.

No, probably both. Had they shown more 4WR (balanced) looks, though, maybe they'd have looked different. When they did go there, they had some positive plays (underneath to the RB earlier on in the game, IIRC). We clearly adjusted to trips formation, as an example of a conscious decision. It was readily available based on the Nebraska game, Cutcliffe went to it. It was shut down.

Worried about the defense. Heurtelou, Harris, Moten, Thomas, Kirby, Crawford, Owens, Grace, Carter, Elder have very little experience against this offense.

Advertisement
Our defensive strategy should be interesting. It'd be worth watching last year obviously. My recollection is that we don't attack their front. We engage (per the usual) and give our mlb plenty of room to read the play. The dt's stop the dive, safeties play alley, mlb goes sideline to sideline and this is done without much aggression.

It'd be nice to see us play toward a negative play which completely disrupts their offense, but I suspect we'll get nickel and dimed to death and they'll possess the **** out of the ball as usual. The victor between their O and our D is likely to be who executes best on 3rd and short.

Good job Lu - must put Coley on bubble screen diet - say no more than 2 a game?

love to see him go cold turkey on that horrible play. It takes a miraculous cut for us to prevent a loss. i just can't understand why he keeps calling it rather than a screen over the middle or a quick slant to the slot. it's maddening.

coley needs to stay away from the screens, though kaaya played a good game he missed some guys open underneath that would have gashed duke, he was looking down field a little too much (pulling a morris), but i agree sometimes coley gets too play happy now i dont know if that is because of he is scared of kaaya not getting it or he just likes to call the same play, though im liking the new looks he is giving, id like more 2 back sets and have a power running game without the short bus of course, good **** lu

Advertisement
Worried about the defense. Heurtelou, Harris, Moten, Thomas, Kirby, Crawford, Owens, Grace, Carter, Elder have very little experience against this offense.

It's about the Backers.

Play in the trenches rarely changes drastically, relative to scheme, but play in the back seven could be night and day depending on who you're playing. GT has always been about edge guys and your linebackers. Can you control the edge while remaining disciplined and not deploying unnecessary resources to do so. We have the speed to get sideline to sideline and GT isn't going to bowl you over with their offensive line.

As long as Tyriq and Thurston play a disciplined game, I'm not overly concerned about our defense in this one. Chick usually plays really well against GT too.

I read on a message board the team works on G Tech offense year around. Each practice sets aside a little time to work on tech. Anyone else remember this?

Advertisement
Good u put this out there Lu maybe the coaches will copy it like they did last week to save there jobs. We should win but it's not guaranteed with these coachin heads.

Our defensive strategy should be interesting. It'd be worth watching last year obviously. My recollection is that we don't attack their front. We engage (per the usual) and give our mlb plenty of room to read the play. The dt's stop the dive, safeties play alley, mlb goes sideline to sideline and this is done without much aggression.

It'd be nice to see us play toward a negative play which completely disrupts their offense, but I suspect we'll get nickel and dimed to death and they'll possess the **** out of the ball as usual. The victor between their O and our D is likely to be who executes best on 3rd and short.

Please nooooo....none of that ****!!! We need aggression from these kids.

It's about the Backers.

Play in the trenches rarely changes drastically, relative to scheme, but play in the back seven could be night and day depending on who you're playing. GT has always been about edge guys and your linebackers. Can you control the edge while remaining disciplined and not deploying unnecessary resources to do so. We have the speed to get sideline to sideline and GT isn't going to bowl you over with their offensive line.

As long as Tyriq and Thurston play a disciplined game, I'm not overly concerned about our defense in this one. Chick usually plays really well against GT too.

Not worried about 17 and 34, worried about the freshmen who will get burn. Grace should be good as well.

Advertisement
Chick, Pierre, DP, Armbrister, Gunter, Bush, Howard have plenty of experience to lead the way...

Good job Lu - must put Coley on bubble screen diet - say no more than 2 a game?

love to see him go cold turkey on that horrible play. It takes a miraculous cut for us to prevent a loss. i just can't understand why he keeps calling it rather than a screen over the middle or a quick slant to the slot. it's maddening.

Screen passes have a remarkable reputation that doesn't match reality. On every football site I post on, fans call for screen passes during the offseason and then despise them during the season when the results are evident. Anybody who ever charted those plays would understand why. The results are pathetic. Last season the Dolphins completed 26 of 28 screens but for barely 4 yards per play. When I worked in a Las Vegas stats office the entire crew would burst into laughter when a team ran a screen pass on 3rd down. The history of success of that call on 3rd down is brutal.

A game preview really shouldn't include any mention of screen passes if the coordinator knows what he is doing. Unfortunately in our case it's justified. Coley hasn't shaken the tendency. Georgia Tech is actually vulnerable enough that a screen might work in the proper situation. But overall I wish we would get rid of those calls. As I emphasized when a lengthy thread showed up during the offseason, screen passes are worthless plays against top teams because those defenses simply don't allow yards after catch.

GT is the one team Golden typically does well against. We should certainly win this game with Chick and DP having good games as they usually do versus The Techies.

Chick, Pierre, DP, Armbrister, Gunter, Bush, Howard have plenty of experience to lead the way...

Fentress has also played against these guys quite a bit. I would expect him to have a role although I'd like to see Grace out there a lot. It would be nice if we came into this game with a fresh approach like a 4-4 with one deep safety.

Advertisement
Back