Gripe about the schedule

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Just saw that the Va Tech game is the first conference game. The annoying thing is that we play all our non conference games before the start of ACC season. Why on earth do we always schedule 8 straight conference games. Every other team puts a cream puff non conference game in the middle of the schedule to give the team a break. Every SEC team plays a FCS team the 9th or 10th week. This is completely non sensical. No team can maintain focus week after week.

Advertisement
Just saw that the Va Tech game is the first conference game. The annoying thing is that we play all our non conference games before the start of ACC season. Why on earth do we always schedule 8 straight conference games. Every other team puts a cream puff non conference game in the middle of the schedule to give the team a break. Every SEC team plays a FCS team the 9th or 10th week. This is completely non sensical. No team can maintain focus week after week.

The majority of programs play their conference schedule in full.

Urban Meyer tweaked things while at Florida, where he'd put a cream-puff team in late November before rivalry week and Florida State—so he could suspend any kids in trouble, or could rest injured guys going into late season and a conference championship game.

Florida State followed suit dropping North Alabama late into last year's schedule—but they also opened with LSU, so basically just moved the patsy to later in the year.

Look at Georgia last season:

UT Martin
Ball State
South Carolina
UAB
Auburn
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Florida
Missouri
Ole Miss
Tenneseee
Georgia Tech (rivalry game)
Alabama (SEC Championship)

Same with Michigan; patsies early and then conference ball:

East Carolina
UNLV
Bowling Green
Rutgers
Nebraska
Minnesota
Indiana
Michigan State
Purdue
Penn State
Maryland
Ohio State

Iowa (Big Ten Championship)
Alabama (Playoffs)
Washington (National Championship)

Most programs line up nobodies to start the season and then get into the meat of their conference schedule. Let's not act like this is weird; the Wolverines played nine conference games—including the annual rivalry game against the Buckeyes—and a tenth in a row against the Hawkeyes in the conference championship.

I seem to remember Louisville playing Georgia tech to open the season and BC or Syracuse. FSU starts next season with ga tech and bc next year. Bama, Florida, LSU, auburn and Texas A&M always play someone like Louisiana Monroe week 10. It’s far better to space things out.

ahh with a twelve team tournament & will only get bigger everyone will have a bad loss or two in the power 1. I think it becomes a sweet 16 with two major conferences in the future run by a Mark Cuban type

Last edited:
Advertisement
The nonconference game towards the end of the season is usually a SEC thing. They usually schedule one before rivalry week. To me, where the Bye falls is the most important. It was terrible for us last year

Tune ups, glorified scrimmages in some cases, and then to the meat of the schedule for most.

More importantly though, each school has very little to do with conference scheduling. The conferences lay that out and in turn, it's done with network representatives having a big say.

No team can maintain focus week after week.

Me-Cheat-Again and U-Dub ended their regular seasons with nine straight conference games and then won their respective CCG's.

Some people might even argue the B1G and Pac-12 were tougher than the mighty ACC this past season 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
I like our schedule, my biggest gripe is all the road games in the middle of the schedule. 3 straight road games ooOooOfffaaa

Al Davis Nfl GIF by Las Vegas Raiders

Just win baby!

Advertisement
After seeing the schedule I take back my original complaint. I didn’t factor in the two bye weeks. I wonder if this is a permanent deal.

The majority of programs play their conference schedule in full.

Urban Meyer tweaked things while at Florida, where he'd put a cream-puff team in late November before rivalry week and Florida State—so he could suspend any kids in trouble, or could rest injured guys going into late season and a conference championship game.

Florida State followed suit dropping North Alabama late into last year's schedule—but they also opened with LSU, so basically just moved the patsy to later in the year.

Look at Georgia last season:

UT Martin
Ball State
South Carolina
UAB
Auburn
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Florida
Missouri
Ole Miss
Tenneseee
Georgia Tech (rivalry game)
Alabama (SEC Championship)

Same with Michigan; patsies early and then conference ball:

East Carolina
UNLV
Bowling Green
Rutgers
Nebraska
Minnesota
Indiana
Michigan State
Purdue
Penn State
Maryland
Ohio State

Iowa (Big Ten Championship)
Alabama (Playoffs)
Washington (National Championship)

Most programs line up nobodies to start the season and then get into the meat of their conference schedule. Let's not act like this is weird; the Wolverines played nine conference games—including the annual rivalry game against the Buckeyes—and a tenth in a row against the Hawkeyes in the conference championship.

The SEC always had a cream puff game before the rivalry weekend

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back