GrimeTime Game of the Week Recap: Carol City vs. American Heritage

View as article

Cory Grimes

Freshman
Premium
GrimeTime Game of the Week

There’s a special feeling that Friday night’s bring about. This opening week in South Florida was no different. The hype, the anticipation and star studded talent was special. It had me ready to go strap em’ up again. CanesInSight was out in full force covering the games this weekend including my first official GrimeTime Game of the Week, Carol City Chiefs vs. American Heritage Patriots. The two teams have championship pedigree, and it’s pretty much a “state championship or bust” mindset for both teams. No better way to prepare a team for a title run than to square up with a big time opponent on opening day. There was numerous Canes targets and commits on the field including Jarvis Brownlee and James Williams, as well as a plethora of guys headed to Power 5 schools. Let’s go ahead and get into the recap of the GrimeTime Game of the Week.

Carol City wasted no time starting the fireworks as RB Nayquan Wright took the hand off through the teeth of the Patriot defense on his way to a 75 yard TD. Heritage and their 2020 QB Edwin Rhodes was not rattled by a slow start from their defense. Rhodes responded with an untouched 20 yard TD waltz on a zone read keeper. I was very impressed with Rhodes poise all night despite the fact that he often found himself running for his life from the likes of Malcolm Ray and the vaunted Carol City defensive line. The defenses quickly began to tighten up and began to trade blows with multiple stops. James Williams picked off an errant throw downfield from Carol City QB Daniel Richardson. American Heritage took advantage of the turnover and finished with a field goal leaving the score at 10-7 American Heritage on top after the first quarter.

Carol City had a drive within the Heritage 10 yard line early but failed a 4th and goal from around the 6 yard line. Carol City’s kicking game was non-existent. They chose to go for it on 4th multiple times well within FG range, and even DE Sam Analae was seen doing kickoffs. This is something I could see coming to haunt them on their to a potential state title run.

The Carol City defense turned it up a notch after the 1st quarter. USF commit Malcolm Ray began to make his presence felt in the Heritage backfield. Miami commit Jarvis Brownlee was lined up at safety all night, and was flying around sideline to sideline. Midway through the second quarter the Carol City offense began to catch a rhythm. Richardson hit WR Amari Johhnson on a post route for about a 30 yard gain. A couple plays later, Richardson goes back to Johnson for a 12 yard TD throw as Johnson snags on American Heritage DB Jaden McBurrows’ head. Carol City goes into the locker room up 14-10.

It was pretty much all Carol City in the second half. The Chief defense suffocated the Patriot offense. Rhodes was doing his best to get out of the pocket and make plays, but there just wasn’t much doing. Richardson tossed a frozen rope in a tight window to WR Thaiu Jones Bell for a TD. Bell was injured the play (not sure of the details). Carol City went up 20-10. Nayquan Wright continued to pound the rock in the second half. From the way he started the game, I thought he was going for 250 yards, but the Heritage defense made an obvious effort to slow him down. He didn’t break any long runs in the second half, but he consistently churned out yards. Carol City was very big up front on both sides of the ball, and it clearly took its toll on Heritage late in the game. A pick 6 from Carol City DB Reddick pretty much sealed the deal in this one putting them up 34-10. American Heritage fought till the final whistle as Rhodes tossed a late TD leaving the final score at 34-16.

American Heritage is a **** of a team that is going to have a great year, but they have a lot of new faces on the roster. With a group of guys who haven’t been together very long, I was rather impressed in their showing against a team like Carol City. The overwhelming difference was in the trenches, especially Carol City D-line vs. American Heritage O-line. They were just too big and athletic for American Heritage to get anything sustainable going. Anyway, this was a great way to start the year with the first GrimeTime Game of the week. This South Florida high school football is a different breed, and I can’t wait to see what else 2018 has in store.

GrimeTime Player of the Game

The unquestioned standout on the defensive side of the ball was DE Malcolm Ray. The Heritage o-line simply couldn’t block him. He showed good get off, but I was personally impressed with his use of his hands. His hands were so quick he’d shed the lineman before they knew what happened. I was also surprised with how fluid he is. He can change direction very well and chase a back down from the backside. In my interview with Ray, he said he’s committed to USF but still looking. I can’ imagine USF holds on to this young man if he continues to show out the way he did on Friday. I recall at least 5 times Ray making plays in the American Heritage backfield on his way to earning GrimeTime Player of the Game.

Scores from other notable HS games this week

Just FYI, I was 5-0 with my picks this weekend.

Braden River 22 Trinity Christian 27
Deerfield 13 Chaminade 10
Miami Central 48 Cardinal Gibbons 21
St. Thomas Aquinas 38 DeMatha (MD) 0

Tune in to our upcoming CanesInSight HS football podcast with Matthew, Geo and I where we will preview week 2 and pick the next venue for the GrimeTime Game of the Week.

Advertisement
Also, I had planned on posting a video highlight from the game, but I am working through some technical difficulties and it should be up soon.

Advertisement
Hey Cory how impressed were you by Brownlee? His tape is mediocre to me but I havent seen him play live hoping to catch him a couple of times at Traz.

Hey Cory how impressed were you by Brownlee? His tape is mediocre to me but I havent seen him play live hoping to catch him a couple of times at Traz.

I was impressed for a couple reasons. For one, he was clearly the leader of the defense and one of the main the leaders on the team. This says a lot about his attitude and the respect other guys have for him within an extremely talented high school locker room. Also, I was surprised to see him lined up at safety. With that being said, he didn't look out of place. He was sideline to sideline. He didn't do anything mind blowing on Friday, but he was always around the football. This just says a lot about his versatility.

I was impressed for a couple reasons. For one, he was clearly the leader of the defense and one of the main the leaders on the team. This says a lot about his attitude and the respect other guys have for him within an extremely talented high school locker room. Also, I was surprised to see him lined up at safety. With that being said, he didn't look out of place. He was sideline to sideline. He didn't do anything mind blowing on Friday, but he was always around the football. This just says a lot about his versatility.
I think him playing more safety is something to keep an eye on going forward. Thanks for the reply and keep up the good work.

How did Daxon and Anaele look on the defensive line? Do you know if Anaele is solid or if the staff completely moved on from Daxon? Saw daxon in the film with Ray!

Advertisement
How did Daxon and Anaele look on the defensive line? Do you know if Anaele is solid or if the staff completely moved on from Daxon? Saw daxon in the film with Ray!

Daxon wasn’t all that impressive to me. He was just kind of a space eater all night, I didn’t see too much explosion off the ball, especially late in the game. Anaele has impressive size and athletic ability. He appeared a little raw, but the upside is evident.

Advertisement
I think him playing more safety is something to keep an eye on going forward. Thanks for the reply and keep up the good work.

No it isnt. Hes about 5'9 1/2-5'10 170...hes a cb all the way here and a pretty sticky one at that. Carol City lost one of their safeties to MNW a kid we likely recruit next class.

Advertisement
Back